It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and the Soldier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I realised recently that there are a number of self-confessed active members of the military on ATS (not to mention the ones that remain quiet for obvious reasons).
Firstly:
It's good to have them here as they bring more facets to every discussion in which they choose to participate or bring their area of expertise.

The Conspiracy:
Some ATS'ers believe ATS is actively monitored by various intelligence organisations and that some people believe they are personally monitored simply by being members of ATS.

The Question:
Why are these members not being harassed within the structures of their own Military? Surely being an ATS member is tantamount to treason? Some of the view on ATS surely can be equated to actively inciting/supporting treasonous activities.

Would belonging to ATS be construed as career suicide or even in extreme cases put them in harms way?

Does anyone have any experiences to relate?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have mentioned Treason, however, I have recently discovered that Sedition may be a more appropriate word:

Sedition:
Conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state.
Insurrection; rebellion

Treason:
n.violation of the allegiance owed to one's sovereign or state; the betrayal of one's country.
www.answers.com...

Any takers on this, or is this a subject too hot too handle?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

To be frank, I think they don't care. There are many more vitriolic web sites with a varying degree of issues.
I work at an Army depot, on an Air Force base. I don't sign on at work, and as for what I do in my own home isn't much different to what I say at work.

For as long as I've been in, there has been disgruntled remarks made about POTUS. It comes with the job. Anyone who is in charge of sending you out to their possible death would not be on top of their Christmas card list.

Just my wee humble opinion. . .

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Well, EVERYTHING I do on the internet, including ATS goes through 2 routers and an online proxy. And it's not like we're monitored constantly; once you secure for the evening or the weekend, you're clear, unless your cell phone starts ringing. As a little aside, my old platoon commander was the one who showed me ATS in the first place. I even saw him on it at his house one time, when he invited a few of us over for the 4th - he didn't seem very persecuted or harassed. I think Russel's right, they don't care about us peons.

[edit on 2009/9/23 by Griever0311]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Griever0311

Fair enough. Does the fact that you do take such precautions means that you are concerned with being affiliated to sites such as ATS?

I am not too aware of the process when people are cleared for certain tasks - lets say you need to be assigned to a sensitive (secret) area - I understood that there are some pretty intensive backround checks.

I was drafted into the military (as a 17 year old) a long time ago, and I remember at the time that we had to sign all kinds of documents that applied to while we were in service, as well as when we had ended our military service.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I don't believe ANYONE online has a reason to know who I am unless I wish them to. That's why I use fake information on personal sites like Yahoo and MySpace, and they can't get my IP, so... I remain safely Anonymous. My real-world friends know who they're communicating with.

As far as access to sensitive materials goes, I'm still in possession of a Top Secret level clearance (comm-related stuff) I got before my first deployment, so I don't guess I've ever said or done anything significant enough to ruffle any feathers. I don't remember having to do much of anything on my end, either. I'm not sure how the process goes for the guys and gals actually doing the digging.

[edit on 2009/9/24 by Griever0311]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Oh goddess no...this site isn't a threat to my clearance or my mil job unless I specifically try to incite people on here to an uprising or something

Frankly...and this is no offense to ANYONE here including the owners...

I think the military could care less about this place simply because there is no harm. The only real harm would be if one of us disclosed classified info publicly. I would almost wager that I could post something classified here and most of ya'll wouldn't know if what I said was classified or not. That isn't an insult either. Clearances are alot more defined these days. I have certain knowledge on nuclear weapons that any of you with google and a bit of time could find out. On the other hand I have some that I can virtually guarantee you don't know. If I were to blurt one of them out how would you know what the classification is?

Point is I don't think the heads of military monitor it as much as we like to think.

IMO of course but I have been on this site on the military computers and nothing has happened to me

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

join