It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physics Class Tries to Contact Extraterrestrials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

I caught this on FoxNews.com. I don't think (just my opinion) that they will get anywhere, but it's still cool to see how people (especially students at a University) are maybe starting to take this seriously and are open to the possibilities of ET.

One University of Utah class is hunting down the lovable E.T.... with radios and books. The class Does Extraterrestrial Intelligence Exist? uses a scientific method to theorize where E.T. could be and how to contact him.

“We are basically trying to notify E.T. that we exist, and the idea of current thinking is that E.T. might be doing something similar to this,” George Cassiday, the physics professor who teaches the class, said.

Students search for E.T. by analyzing radio telescope data, made available through downloadable software, which enables students to obtain radio signals on their home computers and find patterns in the signal that might be generated in an unnatural way.

I personally don't think ET's are listening for (or even use) radio waves, but whatever. Sounds SETI-ish. But good stuff, though. Nothing really breaking, just cool - in my eyes.

[edit on 9/23/2009 by impaired]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's always nice to hear about something like this. It makes me think that people are starting to take the topic more seriously and using real science to attempt a contact or at least trying to get the word out vs standing in your yard with a crystal and chanting.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Cool. I wish they did this when I took physics. I might have not dropped the class!

new topics

join