It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa To Reveal New Scientific Findings About The Moon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
jra

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
But the NAVY's Clementine already discovered a small frozen lake, so it probably isn't water. Unless it is liquid water!

Clementine found evidence of frozen water. My guess is that they found more evidence, perhaps even that there is a lot of water on the Moon.

I am not so concerned with what it is they have been embargoing as I am concerned and interested in why they were withholding it in the first place

You should realize that NASA likes to hold press conferences when they have something to announce. I wouldn't get to worked up about them temporarily withholding the information. Had they revealed it now, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a press conference.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

reply to post by SpaceGoatsFarts

The fellow could have said "a small lake's worth" - but he didn't..

...He said "It's a lake. A small lake. "

Yeah, he even said that this lake is "100 square kilometers by roughly 50 feet"

But you forgot to say that this "lake" is composed of 0.24 - 40 liters of water per cubic meter... Really a "foamy" lake.

You don't help your cause by insisting on that way.

My advice : try to check info by yourself, and don't take anything out of context as granted.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by SpaceGoatsFarts]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceGoatsFarts

Yeah, he even said that this lake is "100 square kilometers by roughly 50 feet"

Yeah, I quoted that in my post - It is where you found out about it

Until you can learn to be less argumentative, you will not be able to hold a discussion without turning it into a debate.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Well, I'm not the one saying NASA said they found a real frozen lake on the moon during the Clementine mission, when that turns to be a blatant lie.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Back to our original discussion.

Is it probable that the announcement is about a large quantity of water on the moon ? I find this very likely seeing how much water was brought to earth by meteoroids and asteroids during its history. Now the moon has also been heavily hit, it has a -small- gravity, and water could also have been buried during the impacts of the meteor, so that it would not be vaporized instantly.

It is really very plausible.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Well, I'm not the one saying NASA said they found a real frozen lake on the moon during the Clementine mission, when that turns to be a blatant lie.

So quick to jump onto the mistakes of others. Like the Defense Department spokesman, I neglected to add an ''s worth' to 'it's a small lake'.

A small lake's worth of water has been found on the moon. That is quite the significant find. Think of the implications (it is not as much fun as attacking me, but do try)

You are so quick to dismiss that discovery in favour of an attack on a fellow member.

Poor form.

In any case; I have edited my post to read: "...the NAVY's Clementine already discovered a small frozen lake's worth of water..."

You can go back and read it and perhaps the significance of the find will not be tarnished for lack of an " 's worth " .

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
and i LOL when they say there might be life on the moon

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

In any case; I have edited my post to read: "...the NAVY's Clementine already discovered a small frozen lake's worth of water..."

Ok NOW I believe what you said.

But then you could also correct your website :

Okay, so we have a lake on the Moon that is a hundred sqaure kilometers in area and 50 feet deep...

www.thelivingmoon.com...

Just in case other people read it and believe this is serious...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

But then you could also correct your website :

It is not my website.

If you care to contact him, you can find the owner on ATS. His member name is Zorgon.

Send him a u2u.

Ok NOW I believe what you said.

You were quick to call me a liar for my mistake.

You ignored the discovery of water on the moon and moved right in for the attack.

Now it seems you have been editing some of your replies to me (this one anyways: www.abovetopsecret.com...)

*I have placed you on ignore. Please refrain from replying to my posts.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Ok lets get back to the Topic at hand and lay of calling each other liars ect, Please stick to the topic of the thread not each other,

Thanks
Asala,

Any such comments will be off topic

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Ok I'll stop if its off topic then.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Connecting the dots :

MEDIA ADVISORY : M09-183

The briefing participants are:
- Jim Green, director, Planetary Science Division, Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington
- Carle Pieters, principal investigator, Moon Mineralogy Mapper, Brown University
- Rob Green, project instrument scientist, Moon Mineralogy Mapper, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.
- Roger Clark, team member, Cassini spacecraft Visual and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer and co-investigator, Moon Mineralogy Mapper, U.S. Geological Survey in Denver
- Jessica Sunshine, deputy principal investigator for NASA’s Deep Impact extended mission and co-investigator for Moon Mineralogy Mapper, Department of Astronomy, University of Maryland

Moon Mineralogy Mapper AKA

Did Chandrayaan find water on Moon’s surface?

MUMBAI: Did India’s maiden Moon mission Chandrayaan-1 find water on the lunar surface before the project was aborted? There were indications on
Tuesday that it had. An announcement about a ‘‘major discovery’’ made by Chandrayaan-I is expected on Thursday, and the buzz is that this could be about water on the Moon.

If true, credit for this much-awaited discovery, however, could go to Nasa’s Moon Minerology Mapper (M3), one of the payloads on board Chandrayaan. The Rs 386-crore craft was launched on October 22 last year and terminated on August 30 following a communication failure. One of the mission’s main goals was to sniff for water.

Edit : More info about the announcement :

M3 Press Conference this Thursday - Big news is coming!!!

This Thursday at 2:00pm Eastern time NASA Headquarters will be holding a press conference that lunar science enthusiasts will not want to miss! At this press conference, some long awaited and extremely exciting results from our mission will finally see the light of day. We are incredibly excited to be able to share with the lunar science community and the world at large a finding that we’ve been keeping under wraps for months while we carefully and thoroughly performed our analyses.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yay!. When we got to the boat today, the drum for the main wire was leaking hydraulic fluid so we called the shore engineer to the boat and we all went to the bar.
There is probably a zero chance however i will get to be in tomorrow too to watch the new scientific data.
Anyhow, hope all is well and come back to great news when i come back in.

RedPill

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

in the article submitted by SpaceGoatsFarts-
nice build up BTW

A spokesman for Brown University also declined comment, saying there was an embargo. "It will be a major announcement of a major discovery and is something great for Chandrayaan. It will mark a major leap for India’s space programme," he said.

It also states that there is alot of buzz about water being on the moon, and if true, credit could go to the Nasa instrument aboard Chandrayann, the Moon Minerology Mapper(M3).

Imagine Nasa getting all the credit and none for Chandrayaan...Bummer

RedPill

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
at last they found Osama

i hope something interesting comes out and its tomorrow, i hate waiting

S(Already given for the find)+F( if something interesting pops out ill come back and flag you)

[edit on 23-9-2009 by heineken]

Ya, and Hilter too, lol.

RedPill

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

This Thursday at 2:00pm Eastern time NASA Headquarters will be holding a press conference that lunar science enthusiasts will not want to miss! At this press conference, some long awaited and extremely exciting results from our mission will finally see the light of day. We are incredibly excited to be able to share with the lunar science community and the world at large a finding that we’ve been keeping under wraps for months while we carefully and thoroughly performed our analyses.

Holy crap Batman. Every news brief is getting more exciting. Thanks SpaceGoatsFarts

RedPill

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The timing makes perfect sense for a water ice discovery. They've been trying to confirm this for a while, but if LCROSS discovers large amounts of H2O in the spectrum of the impact plume on October 9th, it'll basically trump these indirect experiments. The lead investigators are basically at their deadline, particularly if they have reason to think LCROSS will succeed in finding water.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Yep...

www.zeenews.com...

NASA, along with ISI, IS GOING TO TELL THE WORLD THEIR IS MAJOR WATER DEPOSITS ON THE MOON.

I'm 99% sure.
=)

[edit on 23-9-2009 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Edit because I can be a twit sometimes and said nothing of any merit.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Tamale_214]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tamale_214

Well Done! NASA has already changed the wording on their website.

cheers.

Since when? The website hasn't changed for me:

"Papers supporting the briefing will be published online by the journal Science at its Science Express Web site. Science will lift its embargo at 2 p.m. EDT, Sept. 24. "

www.nasa.gov...
Embargos prior to press conferences are not uncommon, but neither are leaks. Still, you never release your data until you're ready to publish, that's a universal truth, otherwise someone else could use it and publish before you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join