It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deposed Honduran President Holed Up In Embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Deposed Honduran President Holed Up In Embassy

www.star-telegram.com

By MARCOS ALEMAN

Associated Press Writer

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras — Baton-wielding soldiers used tear gas and water cannons to chase away thousands who demonstrated outside the Brazilian embassy Tuesday, leaving deposed President Manuel Zelaya and 70 friends and relatives trapped inside without water, electricity or phones.

"We know we are in danger," Zelaya said during interviews with various media outlets. "We are ready to risk everything, to sacrifice."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.miamiherald.com
www.earthtimes.org
narcosphere.narconews.com
www.un.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Honduran coop wwas Ordered by the supreme court,by Honduran constitutional law.
Treason by Any Other Name; the Treachery of Silence
Troops Arrest Honduran President
Uruguay, Mexico disavow de facto Honduran gov't

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
One has just has to wonder if this will become one of Obama's excuses to ignore pulling our troops out of Afghanistan as well as if this will end up defining his Presidential term and first year. With South America being spotlighted because of this nonsense we as citizens have to wonder if this will become another Administration's excuse to be mixed into a continent where we do not belong, and if we will have our presence of military, or even outsourcing to the "private military contractors" there, and then go after Venezuela's oil next, and deposing Hugo Chavez just like Saddam Hussein.

I remember reading back not to long ago about the C.I.A. and D.E.A. being in trouble and kicked out of Bolivia, so I have to wonder if this is in any way tied to that nonsense where it seems our Intelligence and Law Enforcement agencies are putting things in motion to either assist in a coup, stage a coup, or depose multiple nations leaders to get closer to Venezuela's oil through strengthening our presence in the area and in essence making these areas staging grounds for a larger future conflict.

I would like to thank Hellmutt for bringing this story to my attention.

www.star-telegram.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
An update from here:

Brazil has now put its request for an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council in writing. It clearly considers the hostile actions by the Honduras coup regime of cutting water, telephone and electricity to its Embassy and the physical intervention by regime security forces to prevent food, water or other provisions from entering the building as acts of war.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Just thought that I would add this info.:

Brazil says it has requested an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council to address the crisis in Honduras, Bazilian officials say they are concerned for the safety of President Zelaya and with the security of the embassy premises and personnel. The U.S. has just received Brazil's request for an urgent meeting of the U.N. Security Council on the Honduran crisis...

www.bnonews.com...

ETA: simultaneous post

[edit on 22-9-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
He was lucky he was deposed and left alive. Allende was killed at the Presidential palace.

It was stupid for Brazil to let him in their embassy. They should have stayed out of it.

About this claim of democracy - it's about the people - not the process. They collectively decided he had to go - and that's democracy in action.

Now, if Obama can't get a hint . . .

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

actually, no, Allende shot himself when cornered in the presidential palace "La Moneda".
The weapon was an AK-47, compliments of Fidel Castro.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim.Hero

Yes, I know the official line. He was shot by an AK AFTER he was shot by a .45.

Still have the pistol.

Just kidding.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

The big problem with the United Nations Security Council, is they are toothless.

They will pass a resolution, or file some paperwork, and nothing will happen.

Worst yet, there is always the question of whether Russia, China, and or the French will side with the United States and the United Kingdom is always left up in the air.

It almost always seems that whatever happens at the U.N.S.C. we are countered by these three nations.

The only positive going for the United States in this is that it is happening in our political backyard.

I still have to wonder if we're going to send troops there now.

U.N.S.C. and 2012 : Political Ideologies, Nations United, and Views on Terrorism : Conflict Earth

[edit on 23-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

What if he was ousted through a coup sponsored by some one like the Christians In Action?

Democracy is a fickle mistress, especially in South America, and it can be bought and or financed, as well as it would not be the first time our C.I.A. was to oust someone, if that is what happened.

With all the other action going on in the world, it is awful convenient, that's all.

new topics

top topics

join