It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tucson schools create race-based system of discipline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is one of the more disturbing pieces of news out there recently. I just found it today and its too old for breaking alt news, otherwise I'd post it there because it deserves wide exposure.

Tucson schools create race-based system of discipline.

…The board is calling for a two-tiered form of student discipline. One for Black and Hispanic students; one for everyone else.

With the goal of creating a “restorative school culture and climate” that conveys a “sense of belonging to all students,” the board is insisting that its schools reduce its suspensions and/or expulsions of minority students to the point that the data reflect “no ethnic/racial disparities.”

From the section of the 52-page plan titled “Restorative School Culture and Climate,” subhead, “Discipline”:

“School data that show disparities in suspension/expulsion rates will be examined in detail for root causes. Special attention will be dedicated to data regarding African-American and Hispanic students.”

The board approved creating an “Equity Team” that will oversee the plan to ensure “a commitment to social justice for all students.”

More at source:
www.azcentral.com...

[edit on 9/22/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
“School data that show disparities in suspension/expulsion rates will be examined in detail for root causes. Special attention will be dedicated to data regarding African-American and Hispanic students.”

Look at the parents for root cause. This is just ridiculous. So much for accountability.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
So, they're going to teach equality while disciplining the student differently based on race? What a great lesson in this new age of "social justice".

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Tim Wise, the ultra-angry Tulane University poli-sci grad who has made a great living finding racism under every doormat, was the featured speaker. Everyone was wowed.

This sort of sets the tone for the whole article.

I don't think that different punishments for different 'hues' is a very good idea.

I also was not real happy about libraries being closed. Sounds like AZ is in a bad way and looking at the wrong dragons to slay.

In all fairness, though, did you think the source seemed sort of slanted?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

You took the words right out my mouth! Nice to see we agree about some things Wimbly

This reminds me of the time in NC when a principal called all the non-white students to a "meeting" about gangs and had a separate meeting for the white kids..and this woman is a principal!

[edit on 22-9-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Wow What a good way to create resentment AND racism. Let the race wars begin.** Sarcasm**

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Howdy yall... I was wondering ... I know we have ATS members from AZ... I was wondering if you AZ ATS members could tell the Tucson school district about the Civil Rights movement of the 70s. That government discrimination based of Sex or Race is illegal. Maybe inform them that AZ was never a member of the South....

Just hoping one of our Loyal ATS members could do Tucson that solid.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You have got to be kidding me.

Are they really THAT stupid?
Like an above poster stated(Wimbly), all this is going to do is create more discrimination.
You cant disciplineone student for doing something wrong while letting the other student go for doing the same thing just because he has different genes. GOOD GOD what is this world comming to?

Edit- to put in Wimblys name

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I understand, are they saying that white kids are expected to be more civilized and therefore negro and hispanic kids, who are assumed to be not capable of reaching the same level of civility should not be subject to the same rules and discipline as the white children.

That seems to betray the very essence of the concept that all children are equal and exremely racist at its core.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This should work well in bringing balance into the school system.

Sending the white kid home for picking a fight, and letting the African-American kid stay in school after bringing a knife has clear social advantages.

How about we let the same rules apply to all without any regard to race?

Oh, wait that would be considered racist no?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Wow. As a black man I've got to say this is very stupid. All it will do is seperate the kids even more than they already are. Growing up and going to school I do remember many instances where race had a factor in a child getting in trouble but this is the wrong way to attack the problem. In the school district I went to, many black kids who got into fights were put in the school gang file even though they weren't involved with gangs. That file eventually makes its way to the police department who target the kids based on false accusations. I do believe that the disciplinary system needs to be tweaked to combat the ongoing problem of racial profiling, but children should not be punished less because of their race.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Thanks for your comments, everyone.

Two things in particular disturb me about this:

1) It creates a sharp precident that can be expanded in any number of directions -- most of which are highly negative, by my reconing.

2) The whole thing is couched in Orwellian doublespeak, using terms i(" “sense of belonging," "equity team," etc.) in exactly the opposite sense of what they actually mean, to paper over the troubling aspects of the decision.

Come to think of it, these two shadows lurk behind many of the recent negative developments in the nation, in every area from sociology to politics to economics.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Why do I think it kind of strange that this "news" has not been reported by our local evening news. I am in Tucson, and watch the ABC affiliate for the weather, but have not heard a breath of this until now.

www.azstarnet.com...

I checked The AZ Daily Star web page and found an article that explains it as being a misrepresentation, or misunderstanding by the Republic reporter. As a TUSD board member explains the situation, the blacks and hispanics have been suspended more often by Anglo teachers, because of the color / cultural differences. Okay, that makes more sense on the surface...but no correlating numbers are presented. Go figure.

I am sure the truth is out there...somewhere.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by pyrytyes]

[edit on 23-9-2009 by pyrytyes]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pyrytyes

www.azstarnet.com...

For some reason the link didn't turn out well in my edit.

top topics

join