It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC's Matthews: Talk Radio 'Gonna Pay' If Any Anti-Obama Violence

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Matthews went on a tirade threatening anyone who dares disagree with Obama and implying those who are murderous racists. At what point does someone step in and inform Mr. Matthews that hes demonizing a whole group of people based on skin color?

Watch the entire segment here

newsbusters.org...-1038214

CHRIS MATTHEWS: Let me ask you about the Republicans. I noticed a little pullback on the, have they failed, are they feeling they're jumping the shark, to use a television term, with these crazy town meetings? Have they felt, I saw the Eric Cantor meeting in Virginia the other day, he's a smart guy. He wants to be president or whatever, some day. He's smart enough to know, is he – I'm asking – that it's time to cool it? That this crazy anti-government talk isn't improving any body's life. The clown show is over. It's better now to look like you're at least hopeful of getting a better health care plan for the country, even if you vote against it. Is that the Republican assessment right now? Based upon our polling?

CHUCK TODD: Look I've seen a lot, yes. All of the Republican, congressional Republican talking points shifted about a week ago, frankly, to "We're for reform too." You know, "We're just-

MATTHEWS: Yeah, I smell it.

TODD: You know. Absolutely. They know that there is sort of that, you're, you're making progress. And look in our poll independents disapproved more of the President than approve of him, for the very first time. We see shift in independents in the generic ballot of Congress.

MATTHEWS: Yeah.

TODD: So they're making, they made their case against the Democrats right now. So now they're gonna have to start shifting into making a case for themselves. I do think the leaders get it, the question is, don't forget you have your congressional leaders and then you have the activist leaders on talk radio and, and on the media. They're on a different page.

MATTHEWS: They, they, people the activists on radio are not afraid because they're not afraid of anything. But at some point if we have violence in this country against our president of any form or attempt, people are gonna pay for it, the people who have encouraged the craziness. And I get the feeling, at some point, the responsible grown ups like people who have [been] elected 20 or 30 years, who know what it means to be responsible officeholders, must be saying to themselves, "I don't want to be one of the people responsible if one of these Looney Tunes gets a gun and does something."

ROGER SIMON, POLITICO: Well I agree 100 percent, but the base of the party, the core of the party likes the clown show. This is the energy that they haven't seen since November of last year. We were all sitting around talking about how the Republican Party was through. Well, during the summer, we were talking about, "Gee look at all these people."

MATTHEWS: They're playing with fire.

SIMON: They're playing with fire. Not with words so much, as the casual attitude that all of us are taking to people showing up at presidential events with firearms and we're not doing anything about it.

MATTHEWS: I'll say it again. The best., the best thing the National Rifle Association could do, and it hasn't done it yet is to simply make a statement. You have a right to bear arms. Don't bring arms to political meetings. They have the leadership to do it, they should do it.

The message here is:

Do not protest against Obama, because you're a racist if you do (even if you're black which MSNBC continues to ignore). You might even be someone who would shoot the president. Of course Mathews nor anyone else in the media had a problem with Air America hosts calling for the assassination of Bush. They had no problem with merchandise which endorsed bush's assassination was sold. They had no problems supporting the anti-Bush protesters and ignoring all the crazies who attended. After all, that was just a couple crazies and didn't represent all of them right? I took this as a threat to my 1st amendment rights and so should you.

I have 4 questions:

1. Who is inciting violence on talk radio or TV?
2. Who else will "pay" if anyone attempts anything on Obama?
3. How will they "pay"?
4. Will ATS accuse me (again) of racism for posting this thread?

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
Matthews went on a tie raid threatening anyone who dares disagree with Obama

Where? He did no such thing!
Matthews threatening people??? This is hilarious!

and comparing those who do to murderous racists.

What are you talking about??? That is no where in the clip! Where do you get this?

At what point does someone step in and inform Mr. Matthews that hes demonizing a whole group of people based on skin color?

At what point do you stop making crap up?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Where? He did no such thing! Matthews threatening people??? This is hilarious!

Who are the people that are going to pay? Did you miss him calling the protesters crazy and a clown show?

What are you talking about??? That is no where in the clip! Where do you get this?

He says many times that the protesters are "crazy" and a "clown show". They constantly accuse the protesters of being racists on the network and his show. I thought this clip had it, but right before the clip starts he claims its because "they cant stand a black president". I'll see if I can find that part of the conversation. You know as well as I do that its been a theme of Matthews's show for weeks now.

At what point do you stop making crap up?

What am I making up? I'll give you that he never outright said "murderous racist", but thats clearly the image hes been trying to manufacture over the last few weeks.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Pappie54

*SNIP

How many people brought guns? Two guys, one of whom was black. Do you think its fair to paint all anti-Obma protesters based on 2? Not to mention these guys weren't near the president and were obeying the law.

Mod Edit: Removed Gratuitous Quote.

[edit on 22/9/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wow.

So Matthews acknowledges that this President may have done things that would be worthy of getting shot?

God, he's so slow, though.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Nowhere does Matthews say that doper nor does he imply it.

What Matthews is saying is that if and it is a mighty big if someone from the right does shoot the president and it comes out that he took the right wing talk radio blahblahblah seriously and as an inspiration...then those who did the provoking should be held responsible because there is no claiming that they do not know that their rhetoric is inflamatory and all it takes is one loose screw.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Hey, no one else in the media is talking about shooting the President, and here Matthews not only brings it up, but almost like it's a foregone conclusion - suggests when it happens - some people are going to be in real trouble.

Gee, Chris, you THINK?

As in those guilty.

Who else would have even brought up such crap?

Only one who can fee which way the wind is blowing.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

What Matthews is saying is that if and it is a mighty big if someone from the right does shoot the president and it comes out that he took the right wing talk radio blahblahblah seriously and as an inspiration...then those who did the provoking should be held responsible because there is no claiming that they do not know that their rhetoric is inflamatory and all it takes is one loose screw.

First of all, you're purposely ignoring things Chris has said that doesn't fit in to your explanation. I provided several other clips of Mathews and guests accusing these protesters of being racists. If you watch the whole segment he does claim its because "they cant accept a black president". Its been going on for weeks, not just on MSNBC. Secondly, I'll ask again. Who is inciting anyone to violence? Give me some names here.

What Matthews is trying to do is scare people from dissenting against Obama. Its so obvious that it makes me wonder why some people are making excuses for it. Somehow I think things would be different if it was Hannity demonizing minority protesters as crazy racists.

Listen to him from this past Sunday:

Tell me, what if some left winger shoots a some anti-Obama protester because he thinks they're dangerous racists?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
As a Recovering English Major with OCD, I have to address some minor details.

Matthews went on a tie raid threatening anyone who dares disagree with Obama and implying those who are murderous racists.

I think you meant tirade?

If you watch the whole segment he does claim its because "they cant except a black president". Its been going on for weeks, not just on MSNBC.

I think you meant accept?

Sorry, poor spelling make me (sic).

ON TOPIC:

Matthews is basically an on-air political polar opposite of Glenn Beck. He just doesn't resort to fake crying on camera. Although he does throw childish tantrums.

They both disgust me.

By "Talk Radio" I suppose he was referring to the likes of Beck, Limbaugh, Savage and others who incite and stoke the feeble masses into a frenzy.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I think you meant accept?

Sorry, poor spelling make me (sic).

I'll make sure to pick two typos out of the next several paragraphs you post. Is this your attempt to discredit me or something?

I don't like misspelling either, which is why my grammar is usually impeccable. I know that guys like you will use it as an attack.

By "Talk Radio" I suppose he was referring to the likes of Beck, Limbaugh, Savage and others who incite and stoke the feeble masses into a frenzy.

How is what Rush does any different from what Matthews, Olbermann, Rather, Gibson or any of the other MSM talking heads do? Beck and Rush DO NOT attack Obama based on race. It just doesn't happen. If they did, you can guarantee I wouldn't listen and my thread would be about them.

As far as I can tell, only Matthews and a few others are using race to scare people.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ironically there is a much greater risk of Matthews driving people insane than anyone else in the political news arena.

After watching him for more than 5 minutes I can feel a an involuntary twitch in my left eye, for some reason it only happens watching his show.

Not to mention the fact that I feel obligated to clean the pixelated spittle from my screen after viewing one of his rants.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Beck and Rush DO NOT attack Obama based on race. It just doesn't happen. If they did, you can guarantee I wouldn't listen and my thread would be about them.

Limbaugh: Negro-in-Chief Obama Wants Reparations for Darkie Pals

Source

Limbaugh plays "Barack The Magic Negro" on his show

Source

You were saying?

Is it a "Money-Back Guarantee?"

[edit on 22-9-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't know but the statement about politicians in office for 20 or 30 years says a lot. Since when has politics become a job? A lifetime one at that! The thought that these lifers know anything is pathetic! Politics was supposed to be for serving the people, not creating a aristocracy. Considering how the msm just worshiped the Kennedy clan shows how bad it has gotten. Mayhaps it is time to put term limits on all elected officials so we the people do not need to hear the media bending over backwards for these relics and get actual people in touch with the everyday man.

The bias in msm is disgusting. Since it is not as much as a democrat vs republican thing anymore. People are disgusted with politicians in general these days and no one is exempt! For too long politicians have made hollow promises and after the "change" was voted in and nothing but the faces changed! After our "elected" officials get their wake up the media will be next!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Ahh but we seemed to have forgotten where that song originated from. The rev. Al Sharpton started that little ball rolling. All things in perspective, don't cherry pick

[edit on 22-9-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Thanks for proving that people who accuse Rush and the gang of these things don't know what they're talking about. People in the MSM are regularly misrepresenting their words and twisting them to fit false narratives.

Take your first alleged quote:

Limbaugh: Negro-in-Chief Obama Wants Reparations for Darkie Pals

Rush never, ever said any such thing. The quote was made up by the people who wrote that article you linked to. The story they link to says:

thinkprogress.org...

In the Oval Office of the White House none of this is a problem. This is the objective. The objective is unemployment. The objective is more food stamp benefits. The objective is more unemployment benefits. The objective is an expanding welfare state. And the objective is to take the nation’s wealth and return to it to the nation’s quote, “rightful owners.” Think reparations. Think forced reparations here if you want to understand what actually is going on.

It doesn't say anything like what you posted. Rush didn't say anything about " Negro-in-Chief Obama Wants Reparations for Darkie Pals ". Not a single word of it! Did you even bother to read this before you posted it? Its quite disturbing to see there are 400 comments to that article and nobody seems to notice that Rush never spoke those words!

In reality, Rush was making a point about how Obama and these groups hes connected to want "social justice" and that he wants to get a form of reparations without calling it that. What is racist about suggesting that? Why does the author of that article have to make up a quote to attack Rush with if hes so racist?

Limbaugh plays "Barack The Magic Negro" on his show

Again, you've demonstrated perfectly the point Rush was trying to make. The song was based on an article in the LA Times, that claimed Obama was a "magic negro".

Obama the 'Magic Negro'
The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.

But it's clear that Obama also is running for an equally important unelected office, in the province of the popular imagination — the "Magic Negro."

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia

The song was basically a trap for the media and people like yourself who don't look before you leap. You see, Rush takes the attacks while the originator of the phrase gets off free since hes a liberal. It wasn't meant to be disparaging of Obama.

Nice try though. I suggest getting better informed, by not believing everything media matters and some random left wing blogs tell you. Maybe even listen to Rush for yourself! I know thats just crazy.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

First of all, you're purposely ignoring things Chris has said that doesn't fit in to your explanation.

No. YOU'RE making up things. He didn't threaten anyone and he didn't call anyone murderous racists. YOU said that. You have no credibility. I'm sorry.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Talk Radio is no more responsible for the violent actions of a few iggnorant people, than Judas Priest or Ozzy are responsible for teen suicides, or some violent rant in a rap hip hop video is responsible for a rape or drive by shooting.
People in a free society are responsible for their own actions. Sick people are set off by enviromental conditions. Girls with long, brown hair set off serial killer Ted Bundy. So we should ban long, brown hair? To cut back on drunk driving, we should ban motor vehicles?
Thus, to prevent violence asgainst presidents, ban or tone down talk radio? I'm sure it would have helped Abraham Lincoln.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I have heard the hate filled rhetoric...you don't need to say kill the president...you just need to demonize him...and that is exactly what the hard right blahblahblah's have been doing.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

No. YOU'RE making up things. He didn't threaten anyone

Yeah ok BH. Now you're just being purposely dense. I'll ask one more time. Who is going to pay? He is clearly saying someone is going to pay if any violence happens. He keeps talking about "those crazy town halls" and "racists" who attend.

and he didn't call anyone murderous racists. YOU said that. You have no credibility. I'm sorry.

Which is why I said it was implied. Are you watching any of these Matthews clips I'm posting? Its CLEARLY been his prerogative to paint Obama's opposition is lunatic racists.

As far as my credibility goes, I have to consider the source of my criticism. Sorry if I don't shed too many tears for your loss in confidence.

reply to post by grover

I have heard the hate filled rhetoric...you don't need to say kill the president...you just need to demonize him...and that is exactly what the hard right blahblahblah's have been doing.

Can we assume you didn't feel the same way about Bush's critics? Even the ones calling for his assassination on Air America?

The only hate filled rhetoric I hear is coming from Mathews and the rest of the MSM gang, against Obama's critics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join