It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange swarms What are they?? HELP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hi everyone i recently saw this on youtube. this was filmed just outside my hometown.

www.youtube.com...

i was surfing youtube to find something similar and i found this!

www.youtube.com...

Do they look similar to you? in no fly expert but if they were flies what where they doing??

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator

I've seen many similar swarms shown on nature documentaries on TV. In order to know what they are you need a sample or video that was closer to the swarm to allow zooming in to get definite shape details.

A place to check could be a local source such as newspapers, weather starions, natural history museums. It is unusual to see such a swarm away from the wilds of Africa, or midwestern US, as examples.

[Mod Edit - quote to Reply To tab]

[edit on 22/9/2009 by Sauron]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
it may have something to do with Climate change?..

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have no clue what it is but maybe they are mating??? I've seen gnats or maybe fruit flies doing this in the summer but I dont know if that is what it is, doubtful though.I know I have been seeing tons of black birds swarming together lately and I vaguely remember hearing a old wives tale about birds swarming for tells of a bad winter. Anyway hope you figure out what it is. Peace!

[edit on 22-9-2009 by freeyourmind1111]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
its of no worry to me i live in New Zealand now. haha

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The bugs have been weird lately. I seriously saw three butterflies having a threesome yesterday. (Please remove if needed) The bugs have been strange lately.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
i saw mating flies literally banging on my window to get into my house!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's a starling swarm filmed from a distance, it's a common occurrence here in the UK, it happens every year.

Here's a short film some of the shots are stunning!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
It's a starling swarm filmed from a distance, it's a common occurrence here in the UK, it happens every year.

Here's a short film some of the shots are stunning!

www.youtube.com...

I was just going to say; A few years back I saw a similar phenomenon. My first impression was that it was an insect swarm. As the swarm moved closer, filling the sky, I realized that it was a huge flock of crows! The movement of the swarm was identical to the video.

I have never seen anything like it since. .

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

hmm in not to sure about that. they are to small to be birds. its most probably insects i think.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Trust me.....that is definitely a starling swarm.....it's just filmed from a distance, I've seen them several times, and there can be as many as 1 million starlings in the swarm!

Stunning sight to see!!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Are you sure they were crows?
I've never heard of crows swarming in those sort of numbers.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

hehe you beat me to it!

i tried to lure a swarm down with crisps before, needless to day it was a complete failure!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

LOL.....with upto a million birds.......I hope you had a hell of a big bag of crisps!!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Could be any kind of animal, footage is not revealing much detail...

But I agree with the starling swarm reasoning

Very impressive indeed!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
yes but take the second video of my original post. the seem to be staying around the tree for some reason.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Just a normal swarm imo.

What's even wierder is when you see a swarm the shape of a torus (donut). Often mistaken for some type of UFO.

I imagine they swarm above the tree to have a point of reference otherwise they could be going anywhere (at some speed) and not realise.

I used to see swarms like this above the trees regularly around a waterworks next to the thames river in the UK.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I think they're birds too. I'm in Kentucky and I've seen them do this. The first time I saw it, it really freaked me out! I think I was probably about 15 at the time and the birds were flying very high.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by the illuminator
yes but take the second video of my original post. the seem to be staying around the tree for some reason.

Yep, they do stay round the tree, because they swarm when they are roosting.

The swarm starts with a flock of maybe a hundred or so starlings, they roost in the trees, and as more flocks gather they take off, roost, gather and take off again......the video I posted in an earlier reply is only 5 mins long but it explains what they are doing and why........and some of the footage is spectacular!

new topics

top topics

join