It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-1

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here's a fantastic interactive map of Australasia that illustrates perfectly how much more land was exposed during the glacial maximum. I wish they'd done this for Europe too. The amount of coastline, where civilisation has always congregated and still does, is staggering.

sahultime.monash.edu.au...

If you click and drag, and zoom out, you can see the whole planet, just not in as much detail as Australasia. Fascinating stuff.

Note to Slayer: I know what you mean about the 8000bc mark. This Sahul-Time map goes back much further, through all the periods of glaciation. I've always found it hard to accept that Human civilisation is so young, given how long we have had the same mental resources. This whole sea-level/expanded coastline business is just the answer to the question of where the evidence for older cultures is: buried beneath the waves.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Karilla]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Here is some of the information i promised earlier. I see several references in the thread to some of the findings discussed below, but did not see many specifics.

findarticles.com...

Hills point to catastrophic ice age floods

Fields of low hills that cover parts of inland Canada and the northern United States may seem quite distant from the watery world of Atlantis. Yet a Canadian geologist proposes these hills formed from huge Ice Age floods that sharply raised global sea levels and could have spawned myths of a swamped continent.

"There's nothing in recorded history that matches the size of these floods," says John Shaw of Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, who has estimated the extent of the floods from the size of the ridges.
Most RecentTechnology Articles

Called drumlins--a word derived from Old Irish -- these hills appear in concentrated fields in North America, Scandinavia, Britain and other areas once covered by ice. When seen from above, the aligned knolls sometimes look like a basket of eggs lying on their sides and pointing in the same direction. Some drumlins are made of sediments deposited onto bedrock; others are ridges carved out of the rock.

Most geologists believe drumlins developed gradually from the grinding action of heavy ice sheets as they moved over the land. But in the last several years, Shaw and others have proposed the controversial idea that floods of water flowing beneath the ice created many of the North American drumlins and possibly others around the world. They base this hypothesis on the shapes drumlins share with other land forms sculpted by meltwater.

According to Shaw, heat from the Earth formed huge lakes of meltwater that remained trapped beneath the North American ice sheet. As the sheet began to retreat near the end of the glacial age, the water broke through and flowed in torrents down to the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean. While flowing under the ice cap, water would have surged in vast, turbulent sheets that sculpted and scoured drumlins. Each flood lasted until the weight of the ice cap once again shut off the outlet of the covered lake, Shaw says.

The above was posted by The Way I See, a fellow ATSer. The premise is solid, even if somewhat controversial.

Here is a scenario that describes what I was predicting as well regarding the large amounts of meltwater that would form under the intense heat and pressure of a cometary impact on a 2000-3000m thick glacier. It provides the physical evidence for the mechanism i mentioned in my prior post. It is not big news that there were repeated floods in the ice age, but:

In some ways, Shaw's hypothesis echoes ideas raised 14 years ago by a group of oceanographers who studied the ancient remains of one-celled animals buried under sediment on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico. The ratios of oxygen isotopes in these organisms suggested that sometime around 11,500 years ago, a large amount of freshwater entered the gulf, says Cesare Emiliani of the University of Miami in Coral Gables. On the basis of the isotope studies, Emiliani and his colleagues theorized that a sudden influx of meltwater from the ice sheet could have rapidly raised sea levels, sparking myths of a great deluge.

11,500 years ago there was a particularly massive flood. I am sure that everyone who takes the time to read my post will see the significance of that number. But let thicken the plot a little. Lets introduce James A. Marusek:

Analysis of staghorn coral (a coral that always grows in shallow water) provides evidence that the ocean level rose 400 feet since the end of the last Ice Age and the Ice Age came to an abrupt end approximately 11,650 years ago. This occurred when global temperatures rose approximately 7o C.4

In order to study the effects of the impact on civilization, let’s step back in time. This is not the civilization that you read about in history books but the thriving civilization that existed throughout the world during the last Ice Age. Large areas of the continents were covered in glacier ice sheets. Strong jet streams moving north/south made it difficult to grow crops and scratch out a living in many locales and environments. But some moderate and tropical areas were blessed by mountain ranges that traverse east/west that protected the region from these fierce winds (Himalayas, Caucasus, and European Alps). It was in these regions (such as Cuba, the Mediterranean, and India) that mankind found a niche and thrived. These shallow coastal lands were among the richest and most fertile on Earth. These protected coastlines were the sites of the largest cities and population centers. (This is not much different than today, where 85 percent of the Earth’s population and the majority of cities are within 200 miles of the coastline. It’s just a different coastline, the edge of the continental shelf.)

The end came suddenly. A large comet or asteroid cut its way down to the Earth in a flash and bore through the glacier sheet. For most people, this initial event was so sudden and distant that it might go unnoticed. They would first feel the effects of the impact when a series of massive earthquakes would rumble through a few minutes later. The cities of brick and stone would crumble about them and on top of them. If they looked at the sky, they might notice that it was beginning to take on strange colors before it finally went completely dark. Survivors would stumble around, trying to free family and friends trapped in the rubble. The sea level would begin to rise at the same time that torrents of rain would begin to fall from the sky. As the hours turned into days and months, the unending deluge would lift the level of the sea by as much as 400 feet, submerging approximately 15 million square miles of coastal land around the world and drowning its inhabitants. This brought to an end the Ice Age and destroyed most traces of the Ice Age civilization that came before us.

He is asserting that there was a cometary impact during the Younger Dryas period. This ends 11,500 years ago. The same time that the massive flood introduced all that fresh water into the Gulf, mentioned above by Shaw.

There is a synchronicity here that is relevant and vitally important to our history. And it seems that it is being missed.

edit to add: Marusek is not some hack. He is among the most respected scientists in America, and the eminent expert on this subject matter. His paper carries significant weight scholastically in addition to its convenient support for other, more "fringe" theories.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Good job Slayer. Your research is great and well thought out.

I would like to add to Harte's comment about the Atlantis and Lemuria myth portion. He says that the Lemurian continent myth is rather recent and has no sacred text to back it up. There could be something out there, we just need to find it. The Atlantis myth provided by Plato does describe somewhat of a global increase in water depth from the Critias. Here's that portion from sacred-text.com

but the earth has fallen away all round and sunk out of sight. The consequence is, that in comparison of what then was, there are remaining only the bones of the wasted body, as they may be called, as in the case of small islands, all the richer and softer parts of the soil having fallen away, and the mere skeleton of the land being left.

sacred-texts.com...

Plato mentioned this portion before the sinking of Atlantis. The whole Atlantis tale could have been a fabrication by Plato but some of his details could have been rooted in ancient knowledge.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Here is an ad which I scanned from an old magazine from the 1940's called Amazing Stories.
I bought this old magazine from a pawn shop back in the early 80's.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86992fd35eca.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Good job Slayer on the research.

I would like to put my two cents worth of information regarding Atlantis.

I did some digging and found this article, it looks very interesting to me.
This is a press release from May 23, 1998.

“We have a truly majestic statement to make to the world!” says Aaron DuVal, president of the Egyptology Society in Miami, Florida. And continues: “It may come as little surprise to some and great surprise to others; some will be jubilant, some will be horrified; and some will be saddened almost beyond words. But, regardless of the jealousies, fears, and clambering assumptions, we are pleased and honored to announce on behalf of and with the permission of the discoverers, that “The Scott Stones” are not merely the remains of some ancient and unexpected megalithic society which existed, long ago near Bimini; but they are in fact, part of the “Atlantis of romantic legend” — the very Atlantis which Plato described!

Link to the site

I just stumbled on this info and decided to add this to this thread.

PS. I haven't heard any other news or press releases about Atlantis/Lemuria related topics.

This press release states that:

There may be further reports through Nexus Magazine or through future press releases, according to the opinion of Mr. DuVal. Interviewed for the Egyptology Society: May 23 1998, in Miami, Florida

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Nice information.

I wonder have you looked into the formations off the Eastern and South Eastern coast of North America?

Florida has a huge canal from the sea .. with a keel trench down the center .. I cannot recall the origin of the information, only that they had to take rifles against alligators and crocodiles, and that they were amazed at the size of it (could it have been part of the 3 tiered home of Poseidon?).

I believe it was a National Geographic Documentary on Oceans, speaking about the great mounds of Coral Growth off the U.S. Eastern Seaboard. This was really a lot more coral than I would have credited ... unless there were pyramid shaped deposits of coral grow formula beneath the sea floor.

Also, because you are doing so well, do look into Carl Munck and his amazing correlations.

Thanks for the read!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

Originally posted by Karilla
Here's a fantastic interactive map of Australasia that illustrates perfectly how much more land was exposed during the glacial maximum. I wish they'd done this for Europe too.

Hello Karilla,

You can find an interactive sea level map of Europe located *** HERE *** along with a small assortment of other interactive maps.

-Doug

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If there was such a influx of fresh water on the oceans then several ocean species should have become extinct because of that event, is there any evidence of that?

The Phoenicians told tales of not travelling beyond the Straits of Gibraltar because of extremely turbulent waters
Then how did the Phoenicians reached what is now Portugal (including the area where I live)?

The hard part is finding all of his writings. Sir Francis Bacon was the genius behind many pens, including Shakespeare (William Shakespeare was a lower caste man with an illiterate daughter....hardly the kind of person who would pen such great works littered with Rosicrucian references).
Sure, it's easy to say that he wrote many things and then say that it's hard to find, when in fact nobody knows about the supposed writings.

And that part about Shakespeare being of a "lower caste" looks exactly like what someone from a "higher caste" would say just because he/she could not be as good a writer as Shakespeare.

We call that "dor de cotovelo" (elbow pain) here in Portugal

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doug Fisher
Hello Karilla,

You can find an interactive sea level map of Europe located *** HERE *** along with a small assortment of other interactive maps.

-Doug

Thanks, Doug. Much appreciated! I'll have a look now.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

There was coastal travel for many years in Europe. That is how my norse DNA ended up in Hungary all those centuries ago. The Phoenicians were not as bothered with travelling along coastlines.

However, there are obvious signs of global maritime travel...what caused it to stop? On a small side note, why did the potato famine kill so many Irish, when they are surrounded by water/fish? (the latter is just a question that remains unanswered for me, and it could possibly fit here).

Regarding evidence of the death of ocean fauna, it is a well documented fact that there were multiple incidents of these floodings. One such example that seems particularly great is discussed inthe link i provided about Shaw and the drumlin hills. Yes, there is evidence that supports the influx of large amounts of fresh water into the worlds oceans at various periods in the last 15k years.

RE: Bacon, i refer you to Manly P Halls' book "The Secret Teachings Of All Ages" for more information. His great work references several other, much more antique books by several other people. You can find it on Scribd. Since it isn't as much the topic here, i don't want to stray to far...but you know you can U2U me if you would like to discuss that in greater detail.
I will add that when i said "lower caste", i was only referring to the fact that, at the time, his income level and lack of nobility would not have afforded the man the opportunity to know so much about the things he wrote about (lack of education, lack of exposure to the ins and outs of the royal court, etc).

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

That happens with some earthquakes, I have seen some images of at least two earthquakes that had that effect little time after the earthquake.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

That happens with some earthquakes, I have seen some images of at least two earthquakes that had that effect little time after the earthquake.

It also has to be born in mind that without the knowledge of the mechanism for sea-level rise, with only a rudimentary understanding of oceans per se, it would seem more likely that the land sank than it would be that the seas rose.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Regarding evidence of the death of ocean fauna, it is a well documented fact that there were multiple incidents of these floodings. One such example that seems particularly great is discussed inthe link i provided about Shaw and the drumlin hills. Yes, there is evidence that supports the influx of large amounts of fresh water into the worlds oceans at various periods in the last 15k years.

I have read a study that proposed the possibility of a large influx of cold, fresh water could perturb or even stop the deep ocean conveyor. This would have caused the death of many species of marine life. The oceanic food-chain depends on cold currents drawing nutrients up from the depths.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

BRILLIANT compilation slayer. And exceptionally well presented, I might add!

I scanned, did not watch video. Short of time. Will be back.

Please - give me a heads up when you post part 2.

Thanks, sofi

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Karilla

This is exactly what i am saying...there IS evidence of this. It is something that is already a known (and i suppose i was wrong to assume that it was common knowledge):

www.azocleantech.com...

In a new study in Science (published online in Science Express 6 December) Kleiven and co workers confirm that the deep ocean was disturbed in just the way previous workers had speculated. Using a marine core from south of Greenland, which monitors the southward flowing deep waters formed in the North Atlantic they show that there is a sudden disruption in the deep circulation pattern at the time of the flood outburst. Just at the time of the flood, the chemical properties of the deep ocean shift suddenly to values not observed at any other time in the last 10,000 years. The chemical changes suggest that at the site south of Greenland, the new deep waters formed in the North were completely replaced by older deepwater coming from the south. This suggests that deep waters from the North Atlantic were too shallow or weak to influence this site for about century following the flood outburst after which time the deep ocean snapped back to its near modern state. This is what researchers had predicted and what computers have simulated the ocean needed to have done in order to help bring about the cold spell.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
National Geographic Ocean Floor Map

Shows some interesting features

www.maps.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Here's a fantastic interactive map of Australasia that illustrates perfectly how much more land was exposed during the glacial maximum. I wish they'd done this for Europe too. The amount of coastline, where civilisation has always congregated and still does, is staggering.

sahultime.monash.edu.au...

If you click and drag, and zoom out, you can see the whole planet, just not in as much detail as Australasia. Fascinating stuff.

Note to Slayer: I know what you mean about the 8000bc mark. This Sahul-Time map goes back much further, through all the periods of glaciation. I've always found it hard to accept that Human civilisation is so young, given how long we have had the same mental resources. This whole sea-level/expanded coastline business is just the answer to the question of where the evidence for older cultures is: buried beneath the waves.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Karilla]

Thank you, very good map. Wish it had all the areas of the planet.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doug Fisher
reply to post by Karilla

Here's a fantastic interactive map of Australasia that illustrates perfectly how much more land was exposed during the glacial maximum. I wish they'd done this for Europe too.

Hello Karilla,

-Doug

Wish it had better resolution, but it does show all the other areas of the planet.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

It also has to be born in mind that without the knowledge of the mechanism for sea-level rise, with only a rudimentary understanding of oceans per se, it would seem more likely that the land sank than it would be that the seas rose.

Exactly. Whose to say there aren't any unstable areas under the crust. We could have a hot spot in the mantle that casues some of the crust to cave in. The cold sea water would eventually solidify the molten crust. I still believe something like this happened in the Caribbean. The area I'm talking about it 2000 ft below sea level.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Shear Wave Velocity Structure Of The Mediterranean

There is some interesting information regarding the crust differences in the Med. sea.

The base of the crust has a shear-wave velocity value around of 3.9 km/s for the western Mediterranean Sea area. This area is characterized by a thin crust in comparison with the crustal thickness of the eastern Mediterranean Sea area.

Here is the full paper in .pdf format:

www.earth-prints.org...

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join