It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-1

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
If they were of Indo European origin Atlantis in India

www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

I read this many moons ago.

In Hindu legends an island of gods was destroyed during a war between the gods and the Asuras (giant people). Which is very similar to the greek myth of the gods Vs the Titans.

Vishnu Purana (2000 B.C.), a sanskrit text, speaks of Atala, the "White Island," which speaks of its geographically location, which when translated is roughly 24-28 degrees North latitude. There is no longitude translation.

2000BC?

Hardly

H. H. Wilson considers the Vishnu Purana to be one of the oldest of the Puranas, and dates it to the first century BCE,[2] though Gavin Flood dates it later to the fourth century CE.[3]. The original version must have written during the later Vedic period (800bce-300bce); but in its present form, it may have been edited or recomposed during the Gupta era (300CE-500CE).

Source

Care to read through the Vishnu Purana and find this info yourself, rather than quote some wild-eyed, drooling fringie from the WWW?
Vishnu Purana

Come back and quote and link these parts you claim are in there.

Mahabharata tells of a horrendous war that sunk Atala. It is also called the White Island in this text. It describes it as an "island of great splendour" in the western ocean. It is also describes Tripura, a circular shaped capital city, which was destroyed by being “burnt until it sank into the ocean”.

www.lilith-ezine.com...
wiki.answers.com...

Okay, now do the same with the Mahabharata:
Mahabharata

Atala is part of the Hindu underworld (called Patala.) It is the home of demons, etc. Not a former island that sank during a war.

Harte

edit on 10/1/2010 by Harte because: screwed up the "quote" codes

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This is the sort of thread that keeps me on ATS and it makes up for all the extreme and wacky excess that crowds the site. Slayer, there is a simple fact of the modern world that has always led me to believe your theory is the most likely: a majority percentage of today's population lives near the various coastlines of all the continents around the world. Imagine if there were somehow to be another global deluge (I do not think enough water exists, though as today's cities are already built on the landmass that represents a non-ice age period), most of the major cities of the world would be lost -- New York (and the rest of Atlantic seaboard cities down to Miami), Hong Kong, Tokyo, Melbourne, Rio, Calcutta, Mumbai, Jakarta, Bankok, Shanghai, Guangzhoa (Americans don't know it, but the pop exceeds 10 million), Dhaka, Rangoon -- all would be gone. And were they buried during a period of low science, would the next era of intelligent beings have much concept of their existence thousands and thousands of years hence? Probably not.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

All I know is that the vast majority of archeological efforts in the pursuit of human history has been on land. Even though many in the field will admit and accept that there was coastal migrations and coastal civilizations. After that it seems to go silent until after 3200 to 1000 BC onward.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
All I know is that the vast majority of archeological efforts in the pursuit of human history has been on land. Even though many in the field will admit and accept that there was coastal migrations and coastal civilizations. After that it seems to go silent until after 3200 to 1000 BC onward.

Underwater archaeology is extremely hazardous and very expensive.

Plus, archaeology is usually not performed anywhere unless there is first a reason to believe that there could be something there to find. It can be very difficult if not impossible to locate sites to excavate that are underwater.

That being said, the fact that you don't know about it doesn't mean it's not being done. A large number of Jomon sites (dating to before 10,000 BC) that are underwater in Japan have been excavated. Robert Ballard has found or looked for sites all over the world using specialized sonar imagery.

So, yes, it's being done, just perhaps not enough to suit you.

Harte

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just finished. Dam good thread STAR & FLAG

Goin for part II

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Very well researched and presented. Star and flag. I agree with those who say you should seriously consider finding financial backing to produce documentaries. Your research is sound enough that "main stream" sources like PBS, BBC, Discovery Channel et al would be willing to give you some support.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

In case the link was buried.
Here is part-2
Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-2

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

-----Thread Update------

There have been a couple of newish threads of interest. Well worth the read IMO.

Massive Canadian melt may have triggered flood of biblical proportions

Lost ancient civilisation's ruins lie beneath Gulf, says boffin 'Oldest boat' perhaps used by

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Excellent work! I think your research not only rivals the best out there but makes more sense. You should really publish your work in book form and get it out.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Make sure to check out Part 2

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

Did you read the post? Sorry to sort of slam you demongoat if this is just a misunderstanding.
BUT????????????????????????
Did you even invest time to READ his well thought out post/theory? It seems like you just went on the word Atlantis and launched into it wasn't real . . . percisely the point of this very well researched and meticulously presented post. Furthermore he suggests that flood mythology and Atlantis myth possibly arose over time based on oral tradtions that came to pass due to both both rapid and less urgent sea level changes. Did you even read it?

I am sorry to offend others - which I know I will - but did it ever occur to some "Biblical Flood" theory folks that the the Bible is mythology to those who are not Christians and therefore can be seen against a larger perspective of Myth itself as just another myth? Check out the "The Mythicist Position"

This is not a "woo-woo" post, this is not a Noah's Ark fantasy . . . this is a well presented thesis of A POSSIBLE EXPLAINATION - for certain gaps in history and known sites - that seem to just "appear" with no evidence of development. Perhaps there was a development in these cultures but the proof lies a hundered miles out to sea.
This is quite possibly on of the best posts on the entire site, worthy of serious academic discourse, and while pages may have accumilated and you did not have a time to take in the whole original post - please go back and start at the beginning. There is serious merit to Slayers theory.

edit on 16-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

I appreciate the reply.
Everybody who has a new idea will have critics.

no biggie.
Notice how there hasn't been any real serious rebuttal?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Atala is part of the Hindu underworld (called Patala.) It is the home of demons, etc. Not a former island that sank during a war.

To my understanding the entrance to the underworld in ancient times was at the edge of Oceanus. The outer edge of the Pacific and Atlantic would be the Americas, the home of these so called demons.

The Danavas (demon sons of Danu), Daityas (demon sons of Diti), Yakshas and the snake-people Nagas live in the realms of Patala.

en.wikipedia.org...

The ruins of the Mayans and the Aztecs are themed with serpent artwork. To an ancient foreigner the land of Mesoamerica would fit the description of the underworld due to the imagery of large snakes.

en.wikipedia.org...

Feathered Serpent Deity

The Egyptians thought giant snakes lived in the underworld also. The tunnel of Seti shows four snakes looking up from the underworld.

Secret tunnel explored in Pharaoh's tomb

The demon architect Maya has constructed palaces, temples, houses, yards and hotels for foreigners, with jewels.

en.wikipedia.org...

It seems the Hindu cosmology describes Mesoamerica quite well, right down to the name Maya.

There is no old age, no sweat, no disease in Patala.

en.wikipedia.org...

This legend probably inspired people to search for the fountain of youth somewhere beyond the borders of Oceanus.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Astounding thread, without doubt the best I've read so far on ATS
S&F obviously

off to read part 2!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Wiser heads than mine have made inumerable comments.I am sure you have many new questions and thoughts to ponder....
This is without doubt the most interesting thread on this subject yet(leaving space for #2 to exceed it of course)
It is a long held interest and source of puzzlement for me ,so my thanks Slayer, for organising and expounding this most amazing journey through the world of before....
I have heard of Volcanic disaster which could have precipitated the biblical flood, but it remains to be confirmed.
In regard to civilizations existance pre Sumeria, i am sure you are on the right track....
May i also call your attention to a sunken city some miles off the southwest coast of Cuba?
Discovered by a Canadian led expedition on a different quest, it has been phographed by RUV and may yield some valuable info over time,(est at 5000 yrs age),This find is one that certainly adds credence to your theory.
Also it may support the catalysmic theory of history as well.There are sunken walls also to be found in the gulf of Mexico around the bahamas that are also worth referencing.
I await the next installment with anticipatory relish my friend!
Great work!
s

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Nice video on page 1 but it would have been better if you could have spoken something in the video about what you were showing.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BKPari

Well the video in the second one doesn't have narration either. I didn't have a mic at the time for either. However the next one will.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by BKPari

However the next one will.

That would be very good. The ancient people have taken so much of time creating them. It would be nice to see an explanation in the video. IF you are interested in it, you might have been involved in their creation which may be why your interest is there. Your explanations would be very good if you can meditate and contemplate upon it before giving any further comments.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Right, Slayer69, that's your 285th flag and 210th star, with my compliments.

As you know, I tend to come down on the side of scientific orthodoxy most of the time. Frankly, I don't see that scientific orthodoxy can have much of a quarrel with the hypothesis you develop in your opening post. Stunning work; if only all of ATS were like this.

Mind you, I'm no expert on these subjects. I'm about to dive into the thread itself (breathes deep; holds nose) in order to see what the experts, if any, have to say. But on the face of it, what you've posted seems not just plausible but highly credible. Indeed, it is hard to imagine things being any other way.

I raise my hat to you, sir. And next time I pour myself a glass of whisky (which will be soon) I will raise that to you, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join