It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality only 20 years away says scientist

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Real Immortality will never become an over the counter option peddled by big pharma or some supermarket chain. Real Immortality will/can only be attained by reaching a state of spiritual advancement to the degree that the cells of the physical body are balanced and perfected to a state of incorruptability and thus are no longer subject to decay or decline and the body is no longer subject to physical death.

Of course, science will develop technologies that prolong and enhance the bodies ability to renew itself, but there is only one road to true immortality.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

has anyone considered the possibility that there may already exist (through the centuries and millenia) humans who were fortunate enough to be born with naturally extended lifespans.

The concept is known.

Individual cells have a lifespan limited by telemeres. You can't do away with them for several reasons but there may be a way to deal with their limitations so cells live longer.

There are several other factors that are involved with human aging. See my last post and click the link. We try to oversimplify but it isn't that simple.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I think the thought of immortality sounds a bit more glorious than it would be. Our brains will eventually deteriorate so we wont even be able to think. We hardly understand the human body completely and still struggle with diseases like cancer which we have been trying to cure for years and years and years...

We hardly understand the brain (huge understatement) how are we going to stop it from dying?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
reply to post by tauristercus

has anyone considered the possibility that there may already exist (through the centuries and millenia) humans who were fortunate enough to be born with naturally extended lifespans.

The concept is known.

Individual cells have a lifespan limited by telemeres. You can't do away with them for several reasons but there may be a way to deal with their limitations so cells live longer.

There are several other factors that are involved with human aging. See my last post and click the link. We try to oversimplify but it isn't that simple.

The studies you cited were interesting but considering they appear to have been done way back in 1986, may no longer, by todays genetic and cellular knowledge, be as relevant.

I'm aware that the total number of cellular divisions each cell is capable of is ultimately proscribed by the inevitable shortening of the cells telomere structures each time that the cell divides. Eventually a point is reached that the telomere for a particular cell has become sufficiently shortened to the point where division is no longer possible ... resulting in eventual cell death.

But my "what if" post was along the lines that given the billions of people that have come and gone through the millenia and the fact that genetic mutations take place constantly. So there is always a possibility for a genetic mutation to arise that may diminish or retard the principal causes of cellular ageing ... or even improve the existing cellular and chromosonal repair mechanisms ... perhaps something as simple as preventing telomeres from shortening during cellular division.

Could such genetic mutations arise from time to time (no matter how rarely) ? ... quite possibly.
Could such extremely long lived individuals exist (have existed) ? ... quite possibly.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Immortality is not for me.

I'm happy to end my days anywhere from age 70 on. If we are born then we must also die, it goes hand in hand. So no need to fear it, postpone it or attempt to avoid it at all costs.

Just don't waste money burying this corpse, a paupers burial will do, I won't be there so I don't care.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
IMMORTALITY w/o the DIVIN 1 = SCIENTIFIC BLASPHEMY unbelievable how hard we try to live forever w/o GOD even tho he gave you INFINIT SOULS THE AS S BACKWARDNESS.

[edit on 9/23/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I believe the human body is just a shell. Our soul makes us who we are. I have no desire to be stuck in a human body for eternity. I don't fear the day my soul will be set free.

So in a way I do believe immortality already exists. The spirit lives on even after the body dies.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by triune
Real Immortality will never become an over the counter option peddled by big pharma or some supermarket chain.

As long as their is a counter, people will buy stuff over it... whether it works or not.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasure.
I believe the human body is just a shell. Our soul makes us who we are. I have no desire to be stuck in a human body for eternity. I don't fear the day my soul will be set free.

So in a way I do believe immortality already exists. The spirit lives on even after the body dies.

I haven't seen any evidence which convinces me that the soul doesn't have it's origin in the physicality of the body.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The human physical body in its accepted state (what mankind considers to be its normal condition) is flawed, and has 'fallen' from its original state of perfection. It is unbalanced (the male and female aspects are out of sync thus one is either born into a male or a female body) and therefore subject to eventual decline and death.

If the male and female aspects can be rebalance into prefect union, the result is a perfected sexless immortal physical body that is beyond the forces of nature, and in fact is an instrument for the control and direction of nature forces.

This is the secret knowledge that wise men and teachers throughout the ages have been passing onto mankind. It is little understood and even less accepted in these dark days of materialism and scientific arrogance.

It is however the destiny of all mankind to eventually reach this lofty plane of existence as a measure of progress on our spiritual journey towards the source of all that is being PURE CONSCIOUSNESS.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin

You really think there is going to be colonizations of other planets? Who would want that? It sounds cool but I would not want to see humans [bleep]ing up other planets with the same bull[bleep] we do here. It would be good for population as you can send people to certain planets but that also mean that the rules governing that population would have be tighter in order to maintain order among the power hungry governments of earth if they still exist. And what about food? Have you seen the crap astronauts have to eat? Eww. And have they found water on any of these planets yet?

The only way I see this happening is if the globalist's agenda really destroy and erase all nations for a single society, then go a. and colonize the universe. Other than that, there are too many tweaks in this idea for that happen yet. [edit on 22-9-2009 by DevilJin]

Stephen Hawking thinks that we need to colonize other planets in order to survive.

I agree with him. The Earth's natural resources will only last for so long. We will eventually squeeze every last drop out of her.

And like it or not, global government is ideal for harmony on Earth. I'm not speaking about the "NWO" as it's called, but an actual world government whose sole purpose is the betterment of mankind. This will take a long time to be consolidated. But within in an immortal lifetime, it is bound to happen.

You shouldn't base the future off of what is happening at the moment. Corruption in government cannot last forever. Within a hundred years, the world can be a very different place.

As for food - that is the least of our worries. In comparison to the difficulties posed by space flight and colonization of other celestial bodies, food is a non-issue.

P.S.

Mars has water. The Moon is believed to have water molecules as well. There is still much left to discover about these two bodies, as well as many others in our solar system.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasure.
Immortality? No thanks, I have no desire to hang around on this planet for that long. Give me 80-90 years and thats enough for me..

if you were to live forever, who says it would have to be on this planet?

[edit on 23-9-2009 by hautmess]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join