It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality only 20 years away says scientist

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
People have been saying that for at least 20 years, What makes this Ray Kurzweil's prediction any different?

Immortality will not be achieved in my lifetime

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Pockets]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well if this did happen it would be great!

I think the whole over population problem is overrated. If I was immortal, I'd drop everything I was doing, get a group of like minds together, and build a spaceship to explore the stars.

If anything it would give mankind the opportunity and the time to explore creation, and not just the grain of blue sand that is the Earth.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
reply to post by DevilJin

"Agenda 21 will soon in place in the next 50 years or so."

You got my attention. More details on Agenda 21 please.

Agenda 21 is basically the U.N. led agenda to create sustainable development by restructuring the entire world in order to make a better, environmental-conscious global society.

Here are two videos of it.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

What would the retirement age be if you never die. You could be 150 years old and still have to work. (ughh what a grind that would be).

Immortality? No thanks, I have no desire to hang around on this planet for that long. Give me 80-90 years and thats enough for me..

Unlike you, I would love to be immortal. But you made a good point.

Immortality does not mesh well with the way our world works. You would basically be working forever since you stay youthful in both physical appearance and health. You would have to switch careers every couple of decades because it would get so repetitive.

And as you mentioned, the population is already too large. An immortal population would only make things worst on our economy, resources, etc.

If immortality were ever to work, we'd have to expand outward into the solar system, and possibly beyond. We currently don't have the means of doing so.

Also, on your last point - you wouldn't be on this planet forever if you were immortal. More than likely, we will have colonies on other planets in the solar system within the span of 100 years or so. That alone is reason enough to want immortality. To me, at least.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeeGee

What would the retirement age be if you never die. You could be 150 years old and still have to work. (ughh what a grind that would be).

Immortality? No thanks, I have no desire to hang around on this planet for that long. Give me 80-90 years and thats enough for me..

Unlike you, I would love to be immortal. But you made a good point.

Also, on your last point - you wouldn't be on this planet forever if you were immortal. More than likely, we will have colonies on other planets in the solar system within the span of 100 years or so. That alone is reason enough to want immortality. To me, at least.

You really think there is going to be colonizations of other planets? Who would want that? It sounds cool but I would not want to see humans [bleep]ing up other planets with the same bull[bleep] we do here. It would be good for population as you can send people to certain planets but that also mean that the rules governing that population would have be tighter in order to maintain order among the power hungry governments of earth if they still exist. And what about food? Have you seen the crap astronauts have to eat? Eww. And have they found water on any of these planets yet?

The only way I see this happening is if the globalist's agenda really destroy and erase all nations for a single society, then go ahead and colonize the universe. Other than that, there are too many tweaks in this idea for that happen yet.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by DevilJin]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
it would be great if science could do that,
but
overpopulation IS already a problem so maybe they should advance space technology first, find us a second (and a third) Earth-like planet... and then start making man immortal.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm 30. Figure it'll happen eventually. Think of the possibilities. No longer would the unmaneageable times required to reach distant stars (given our current propulsion systems) be an issue. Stick a bunch of folks on a massive barge, send em out. They can farm asteroids for material, if necessary. But you'd probably go with a self-contained environment. The problem would be reproduction. If everyone had kids and no one died, overpopulation would become an issue. So everyone allows themselves to be altered for sterility. I imagine that no matter how big the colony would be, people would get damned bored.

Just because we CAN do it, doesn't mean we should. This technological level should have followed interstellar propulsion instead of the other way around. But if we can alter the genetic code at the level required, we'd be able to biologically engineer a human to survive in an atmosphere inhospitable to humans so far.

And... at what point do you stop being human? If this is nanotechnology, how would an EM pulse affect it?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

From source:

Mr Kurzweil calls his theory the Law of Accelerating Returns. Writing in The Sun, Mr Kurzweil said: "I and many other scientists now believe that in around 20 years we will have the means to reprogramme our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, ageing. Then nanotechnology will let us live for ever.

Somewhat obviously missing from the source was how they are going to do the reversing. He was basing the estimate on how fast the work was going so far.

Human (or any animal's) aging is due to Gene Loss

With a few other factors thrown in like:
1) GENE REPRESSION
2) INTRACELLULAR COMMUNICATION AND SPATIAL REARRANGEMENTS:
3) ACCRETIONAL DEFECTS:
4) DEPLETIONAL DEFECTS

My point is that it is genetic plus some other complicated factors. Whoever did the original design did a good job of hiding the solution to the aging process. It may be more difficult than the author estimates as a major snag or snags could come at any time.

My guess is we will make progress in aging but the result will never be as glorious as this author describes. "Write a book within minutes"! Now that would be so cool!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
So does this mean they would move the Social Security retirement age again? No thanks I'll take my pine box now.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
We now know why we age... free radicals damaging our cells faster than they can be repaired. Some organs simply cannot repair, like the heart and brain. I don't think its impossible to become immortal, however if the tech was invented I don't know if pharma would approve.. of course, we would then be enslaved to whoever develops the tech.... litterally.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I couldn't imagine anything more horrible then immortality. It's not like you get to stop working. Or paying taxes.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

That may be possible but then again just a few decades ago they thought we would have private jetpacks and take nutrient pills instead of eating. Anyways it wouldn't be good if this was possible because it would cause severe overpopulation and besides, does anyone else think your just asking for trouble to put microscopic robots inside your body?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Well everything dies. This will not lead to "immortality" the blood vessles in the brain cannot be replaced nor can the brain. You would be able to add a good 15 years or so by replacing vital organs but the brain can't be replaced. Plus if you get hit by a bus,shot in the head or catch a bad case of AIDS you are done.

For NOW we can't replace the brain... but IMO the technology will develop so we can ``store our brain`` on a hard drive....and implant it in a ``cyborg body``...

And yes, the rich and powerful will have this technology first.

Can you imagine Bush living for thousands of years? Or Kissinger? Or Mao? Or Kim Jong Il? This technology is awesome...and very dangerous at the same time.

And the ``it will make the population too big`` idea...if this thing becomes mainstream, people will live differently, instead of having children at 20, they may have children at 80...and the treatment wouldn't be used by poor nations since they are too poor and they are the ones that make the population grow too fast.

And think about this...with this technology, space travel taking hundreds, thousands of years isn't a problem anymore.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I would love for cloning to take the front seat instead because I would rather much like to know what Jefferson thought about the mess we're in....

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Several points by members well taken, and logical.

But methinks several things,...

1 - Every cell in the human body is self-replaced within seven years. Fix the problem of replacing bad cells with bad cells, and start with replacing bad cells with good cells, and one issue regarding aging and genetic disease is resolved.

2 - Overpopulation on Earth. Yes, everyone is correct. But lets say we advance technology to populate other worlds, like Mars. New territory, eh?

3 - Deep space missions. Well the issue of human life expiring before missions end, would be resolved.

Immortality is not an issue with problems, but instead would be just solutions to idea's. Many of those idea's are just pipe dreams without the mortality problem being resolved.

Solve that, and whole new realities are created, giving way to even better idea's.

No?

[edit on 23-9-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well it seem we probably already have the tech to repair the brain.

It's a gel that helps repair brain damage and loss of cognitive function due to age.

It was discussed on this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
With all this talk of "potential immortality" becoming available in the near future, has anyone considered the possibility that there may already exist (through the centuries and millenia) humans who were fortunate enough to be born with naturally extended lifespans.

I'm not talking about extending your lifespan 10 or 20 years ... I'm talking about individuals who thru some kind of naturally occurring genetic mutation or change, have been gifted with extended lifespans into the hundreds and possibly, thousands of years.
I'm thinking of some kind of random genetic change that perhaps has given them significant cellular repair capabilities compared to the average "normal" person.

With billions of people having been born and died through the millenia, I'm just wondering if such a genetic mutation could arise ... if it did, one would expect it to be an extremely rare mutation and perhaps only a handful of people over the millenia have ever been born with it.

Anyway ... just a "what if ... ".

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Good point, but....

From a scientific standpoint there is something called the carrying capacity...

Wikipedia - Carrying Capacity

It essentially states that in a given environment (such as the biosphere) there can be a maximum population reached. Unless we start populating other planets, we (mankind) will eventually reach our carrying capacity for this planet. However maybe technology will put an extra variable in this equation.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Overpopulation on Earth is a lie told so often by the Elites that people now believe it and repeat it as if they were saying the sky is blue.

The statistics and the evidence do not bear out any of this fear-inspired rhetoric from Obama and the Eugencists to David Rockefeller to Zbig Brzezinsk to the death-loving Elites bent on depopulating the earth.

There is plenty of room on Earth. The failures in the food supply are part and parcel of the power elites plans to take out everyone over 40 as well as a huge swath through all peoples of colour.

I hate seeing how younger humanity have been so easily programmed by the Eugenecists and the constant repititions of lies until intelligent good-intentioned people come to believe that lie is true.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Real Immortality will never become an over the counter option peddled by big pharma or some supermarket chain. Real Immortality will/can only be attained by reaching a state of spiritual advancement to the degree that the cells of the physical body are balanced and perfected to a state of incorruptability and thus are no longer subject to decay or decline and the body is no longer subject to physical death.

Of course, science will develop technologies that prolong and enhance the bodies ability to renew itself, but there is only one road to true immortality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join