It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACORN worker in video reported couple

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
NATIONAL CITY, Calif. — Police say a worker with the activist group ACORN who was caught on video giving advice about human smuggling to a couple posing as a pimp and a prostitute had reported the incident to authorities.

google news

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I know it's not going to change anyone's mind on the matter, but I thought a little more insight could benefit everyone.

Turns out Vera DID report the pimp to the authorities after all.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'd be interested in a more detailed time-line of when he reported them. After the video was out or before?
Maybe some other news outlet will flesh the story out a little more, but the jury is already out, I'm afraid.
We'll see.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by suicydking

National City police said Monday that Juan Carlos Vera contacted his cousin, a police detective, to get advice on what to with information on possible human smuggling.

This is the same guy who actually advised them on a BETTER place to bring the illegal children over the border & asked Hannah how much she would charge for the whole weekend.

RIGHT

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
To be fair, maybe he was trying to get them to reveal more information so he could determine if they were serious. I'm still waiting for more info on this.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It speaks volumes that only one person reported anything amiss to the authorities. Then that pesky time lag.... Could be acorn just trying to cover their bases. But after all the released videos only 1 person reported anything in any of the offices? This could get interesting

[edit on 22-9-2009 by hangedman13]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
"To see how she should report the information on possible human smuggling?" Umm sounds to me like she was fishing for someway to get a reward for info. If she was that concerned, she would have just made a report to an officer or to the first detective she contacted.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
He waited two days? Sounds more like attempting to cover his tail after the fact to me than someone genuinely concerned that they were told about plans for human smuggling.

That's just my .02 though.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Any normal person would have (as soon as the initial shock faded) immediately halted the meeting after gathering enough personal information from the suspect pimp and prostitute to forward to the police, grab the nearest phone then call the authorities and proceed to report everything.

But at least someone called.

Okay, its all cool now, ACORN can have their billions in funding back!

I love happy endings.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I have heard it was 2 days afterwards, and it was to a realitive who works for the National City Police department. What I am shocked at is that, as a lawyer in Tijauna, he did not think that something was very wrong with the entire conversation or even end the conversation right away, mention that what they were doing was illegale and immoral and that they should not do such. Instead he calmly talked about how to do such and that he has contacts to assist in such. The excuse of his not understanding english or require a translator to do the job did not wash, cause in the video, they were asking him different questions and then verifing the information before proceeding. So he may have decided to contact the police department, but to do such 2 days later is pretty much like closin the barn door after the horse has wandered out. The other thing that reeks here is that National City has alot of boarder patrol and military personell living in that city.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by suicydking

For what it's worth, the National City Police Department issued a September 17 statement confirming ACORN claims that Juan Carlos Vera, the employee who met with the masquerading couple, did contact the police about his encounter -- and before the scandal broke.

"On August 20, 2009, an ACORN employee contacted his cousin, a National City Police Detective, to ask him general advice regarding information he had received about possible human smuggling," the statement says. "In response, the Detective contacted a law enforcement officer serving on a federal task force that specifically deals with human smuggling." The press release ends by noting nothing came of the exchange with ACORN because its employee called back to report the human-trafficking story had been a ruse.

When contacted by the L.A. Weekly, National City's assistant police chief, Manuel Rodriguez, confirmed his department had been contacted but that matter ended with ACORN's admission that it had been hoaxed.

"Until," Rodgriguez added, "all the news stories came out."

LA Times

[edit on 9/22/2009 by clay2 baraka]

new topics

top topics

join