It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Mandate is Not a Tax (a rose by any other name..)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Obama: Mandate is Not a Tax

blogs.abcnews.com...

STEPHANOPOULOS: You were against the individual mandate...

OBAMA: Yes.

STEPHANOPOULOS: ...during the campaign. Under this mandate, the government is forcing people to spend money, fining you if you don’t. How is that not a tax?

OBAMA: Well, hold on a second, George. Here -- here's what's happening. You and I are both paying $900, on average -- our families -- in higher premiums because of uncompensated care. Now what I've said is that if you can't afford health insurance, you certainly shouldn't be punished for that. That's just piling on. If, on the other hand, we're giving tax credits, we've set up an exchange, you are now part of a big pool, we've driven down the costs, we've done everything we can and you actually can afford health insurance, but you've just decided, you know what, I want to take my chances. And then you get hit by a bus and you and I have to pay for the emergency room care, that's...

STEPHANOPOULOS: That may be, but it's still a tax increase.

OBAMA: No. That's not true, George. The -- for us to say that you've got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase. What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore than the fact that right now everybody in America, just about, has to get auto insurance. Nobody considers that a tax increase. People say to themselves, that is a fair way to make sure that if you hit my car, that I'm not covering all the costs.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But it may be fair, it may be good public policy...

OBAMA: No, but -- but, George, you -- you can't just make up that language and decide that that's called a tax increase. Any...

I know the source of this is a blog. I'll try to find other sources of this recorded conversation.

What we have is President Obama telling us 'No New Taxes!' (sound familiar?) and then calling an increase in the money OUT OF OUR POCKET a 'mandate' instead of tax.

I will give him this, he is an awesome speaker and has the gift of complete BS. Does it matter WHAT you call it, when it is something you have to pay to the government out of the money you earned? Nah, I don't think it really matters.

The difference it makes? It allows, through the convoluted use of language, for President Obama to keep his 'promise' of no new taxes, while still raising money for his proposed programs.

Hooray for using words anyway you like.

I wonder if we would get away with not paying taxes and calling it something like, 'fiscal independence stimulation.'

Prolly not, huh?

A tax by any other name is still a tax.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I ran with this story a couple days ago. Didn't get far with it, maybe you'll have better luck.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mike

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

I ran with this story a couple days ago. Didn't get far with it, maybe you'll have better luck.

Mike

Sorry, Mike. Yeah, looks like I was two days late.

You folks go comment on Mike's thread.
( I even did a search.
)

Hey MODS can you CLOSE THIS THREAD please? (pretty please.)

Thanks for being on the ball Mike!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Heck, if your gets more legs then just have the mods close mine. I don't know if you are aware. . . . but I can be a bit partisan at times. Maybe that disuedes some folks.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Heck, if your gets more legs then just have the mods close mine. I don't know if you are aware. . . . but I can be a bit partisan at times. Maybe that disuedes some folks.

It don't work that way, my friend.

And we can cut that partisanship with a little playing the fiddle from both sides.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Remember... These are not the droids you are looking for, Move along....

Which one is fiction? Either, Other, Both?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Please add further comments, opinions or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

top topics

join