It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas coming early this year...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Having christmas sales this early ruins the season... every year me and my girl have the same conversation: it feels less and less like xmas each year. Why? ... each year sales go up earlier, thus dilluting the xmas spirit!

We were at the mall, oh 3 weeks ago id say, I wanna say it was Macy's, some store like that anyways, had xmas trees setup. No lights or decor yet, just trees in their own little section with boxes I assume were filled with xmas supplies.. id bet if we went back it would be xmas in full swing. Who cares if its mixed with halloween, skulls and santa, ghosts and elves eh?

Anywho..

I don't celebrate halloween.. its disgustingly perverted by corporatism anymore.

I don't want any gifts for xmas, and I flat out said I'm refusing any gift unless its homeade edible cookies

Thanksgiving is still my fav.. family, football, tons of food and beer.. yup, that's what a holiday should be!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I think this is exactly why the merchandise is going up earlier and earlier. Second season in a row of dismal Holiday profits and many, many retail stores will go under. Top of Yahoo news today is a list of 10 more retail dept. stores in danger of bankruptcy (Macy's being a big one)... There are no Holiday displays or adverts. up yet, that I've noticed in my area, but I'm sure they are not far away...

I do love the Holiday season, but for many years now it has not been about consumerism and dollars spent. It's about family and community and I am so glad "my family" made that switch long ago, for all the obvious reasons...

Originally posted by sean85b
It makes me laugh....we are going through a global recession right now - indefinate unemployment of the highest level and clear manipulation in the financial markets and yet they have us thinking about xmas: guilt trips, more debt and borrowing from the banks, credit cards, high interest rates. it gets better and better right?

So how do they recover the banking sector for the year 2010. Get people spending.....early. Keep us sweat when they have it all to gain, and leave us dry when the mist clears.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I work in retail-grocery. I thought my DO was crazy when he ordered us to do a massive display of pumpkin pies during Labor Day weekend.

The weird thing is they all sold!

So, are the retailers so crazy putting out the massive Christmas displays in September? Or are we the crazy ones that will buy it early because it's out there?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sosuemetoo

If someone put for sale pumpkin pies in May id buy em all!

But I get your meaning.. I hope that consumers turn their backs on stores this year. Its almost as if they have us convinced we are horrible people if we don't spend money on worthless crap from China..

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
[snip]
I don't want any gifts for xmas, and I flat out said I'm refusing any gift unless its homeade edible cookies

Thanksgiving is still my fav.. family, football, tons of food and beer.. yup, that's what a holiday should be!

make my dad homemade choc. chip cookies every year for birthday and xmas, he loves it and wouldn't take a gift anyway (what do ya buy a guy who has everything he wants, anyway?) so now, that's the tradition between he and I.

Can't agree more with Thanksgiving examples... Raider Nation!

ETA: unless they're playing the Packers! which never happens

[edit on 22-9-2009 by LadySkadi]

[edit on 22-9-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
I wonder how much of the Christmas paraphenalia being put up in stores now is simply holdover junk from last Christmas' anemic sales?

That is part of it, I'm sure.
But, when I worked briefly in retail, Christmas stuff started arriving at our store around Easter.
We'd just check it in, price it and rebox it until it was time to display.

don't forget, quite a bit of it comes by ship from china.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
some stores like hobby lobby and stores to that nature have christmas stuff up all year.!! its crazy

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join