It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas coming early this year...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It is somewhat self-evident that those in charge of larger retail chains have a strong sense of coming economic conditions. In light of this, I present the following personal experience:

As I write this, it is the 22nd of September, 2009. Yesterday, on the 21st of September, I was involved in an inventory at a store which is part of a large retail chain (name withheld for obvious reasons). My normal routine is to walk through the store while the equipment is being set up, in order to get a feel for the store layout and estimate the amount of time this store will take.

In my walk-through, I came upon something surprising. Right beside the Halloween decorations, which have appeared within the last week or two, was a small Christmas display! One side of a gondola (12 feet of display space) was packed with Christmas lights, wreaths, and wrapping paper. I mentioned it to the District Manager, and he simply hung his head and replied "I have never heard of them starting the Christmas displays this early."

It is well-known that Christmas is the money-maker for retail chains. A store can actually survive 10-11 months of slow losses as long as the Christmas season goes well. In my lifetime I have watched the Christmas shopping season extend from the day after Thanksgiving (traditionally called 'Black Friday') to early November. But this year it has skipped an entire month!

What does the corporate office of this retail chain know that we should? Are they trying to milk every possible dime from the season in an attempt to survive something on the horizon?

Or am I just paranoid?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

It could just be that they are trying to get the jump on the other retailers, you know, we usually only buy decorations from one place, at one time, better to get them out early rather than have customers go to another shop.

But it is a little too early if you ask me.

Maybe they're really feeling the pinch so are just getting a head start.

Or it's quite clever, get your Halloween stuff and decorations at once.

Keep us posted man!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Stopped by the local hardware store this morning for new drill bits.
Noticed this very same thing.
Christmas is out in the open aisles.
All of the outdoor garden stuff gone...plastic, flashing and blinking in its stead.

Not sure if this does indeed mean that retailers are "in the know". Appears to be more along the lines of just grabbing our dollars any way and when they can.

I do fear that this season will be bleak and less than prosperous.
I plan on hand making everything and not traveling outside of my area at all.

Namaste

ZM

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Cracker Barrel already has christmas decor on display...NOW. Halloween items are mixed in with it, too.

Last year was the first time I noticed that "discount" chain stores were putting out xmas items in October.

So what you are seeing now, was first brought to my attention last year for the first time.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's happening in all the chains here in Canada too. Walmart, Best Buy, Zellers, Canadian Tire, The Bay.

It's really quite disturbing. 4 months early? Retail must have really taken a beating this summer...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think the stores have been edging back the xmas 'season' a little each year (this year is a big jump thanks to the economy, methinks)- just so they can rake in every last cent they can. Think about it: There's always gobs of leftovers after the holidays, which equals wasted investment for the store (discounted, or it doesn't sell), the manufacturer, ect (or so they'll say).

So, they edge a season which belongs to December (and NEEDS TO STAY THERE!) because it's their biggest greed draw, further, and further into the fall. Just wait. There'll be Xmas crap in stores Labor Day at some point in the future! Heck, they have Xmas in July, so they can bleed the cash cow all they can!

And personally, it makes me sick.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It's interesting that you brought this up.

Earlier today, I was over at my in-laws house with my wife picking up a bike. My wife said to her mom that she thinks that it's really funny and strange that here in Germany, they are already selling Christmas cookies, candies, and other Christmasy things. My mother-in-law said, that that's nothing new. It, apparently, has been like this for years in Germany that, immediately after the summer break (middle of August for our state), Christmas stuff is for sale. And I remember I used to always get upset that it'd be October and Christmas stuff is up!

Perhaps American stores are taking a page out of the European Handbook?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Why would it make you upset? I love xmas, the best time of year, family and people, togetherness. Quicker it comes the better.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ditto at Lowe's this morning. My jaw just about dropped. They almost had two aisles full and ready to go for Christmas. Target just got their Halloween stuff up for Pete's sake.

I'm going to celebrate Festivus this year.

This is pathetic and we will be stuck staring at this stuff for the next 3 months.

THey are trying to burn us out on Christmas.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Did you also notice the over-commercialization of Halloween into another Christmas?

Every store I have been in within the last month has at least 1/4 of their store stocked with Halloween themed items.

The entire retail industry is attempting to double-dip this Fall/Winter.

Personally, it makes me a happy camper because my daughter and I both love celebrating Halloween more than we do Christmas any way, so it's a win for us and a win for the retailers.

However, if sales continue to be weak this year, you can bet that you'll see the over-commercialization of Labor Day next year...you'll have Labor Day Greeting Cards, Ornaments, Lights, Decorations, Clothing and Gifts.

And yes, right beside the Labor Day displays will be the Halloween and Christmas displays! Both yet another month earlier than before.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Yep, ditto here as well. For example, the local Kroger Grocery store has put out Christmas dishes and glasses right next to the Halloween candy. I'm sure I could report more of the same at other retailers, but I think we all get the point.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It makes me laugh....we are going through a global recession right now - indefinate unemployment of the highest level and clear manipulation in the financial markets and yet they have us thinking about xmas: guilt trips, more debt and borrowing from the banks, credit cards, high interest rates. it gets better and better right?

So how do they recover the banking sector for the year 2010. Get people spending.....early. Keep us sweat when they have it all to gain, and leave us dry when the mist clears.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Christmas isn't what upsets me. It's the commercialization of Christmas that does. Many people today don't really know why Christmas is celebrated in the first place, and its more than just family and togetherness.

I agree though that it is the best time of the year. Back home in Florida, it was really the only comfortable time of the year!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Bah, Humbug.

2 words, one line. need I say more?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Its always been a running joke for me that Christmas comes earlier every year. The only reason this is funny is because it's true. In 10 years the christmas stuff will probably start in July.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Wow! I really wasn't aware that all the stores were coming out with Christmas stuff already! I guess that shows how much shopping I actually do.

To those who have expressed a disgust with the commercialization of Christmas, I agree wholeheartedly. I am planning on trying to make my gifts this year, and of course we will go out and cut down a live tree as we always do. I bet I can get out of Christmas for under $100!

I am in total agreement that retailers are starting the season early to try and squeeze every cent out of us through the same old guilt trip that has happened every year. I'm just amazed that this year things jumped so far. Labor Day was only three weeks ago, for cryin' out loud!

I am just wondering if this is because they had a bad year in 09, or because they are expecting it to get worse fast?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Hi! Doesn't everyone else in The USA have to pay property taxes at Christmas time? Retailers know we all are on a strict budget. We did not lose our jobs during this recession, but live in constant fear it could happen. We are paying debt off and trying to save up for house payments, so if we became unemployed we won't lose it all
immediately. The recession didn't seem to bother our parents so much who are retired. All of our family lives far away so gift card tokens for adults or checks for the children (nieces and nephews) so they can get what they truely desire. I hate to spend money on something someone will regift or put on a closet shelf. After wrapping and paying exhorbitent shipping costs. My favorite holiday is Valentines Day and Easter, there is far less social pressure on those holidays. Maybe everyone should look around their houses and regift new items never used to someone else who could put it to use. Christmas is about religion not stuffittus anyways.
This is the green ecological way. Less stress, less pressure, more joy!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Christmas items does seem to be getting onto the shelves alot sooner. i bought some mince pies when shopping today but its only because they taste so damn good. The shops are going to try and get as much money as possible this year due to the worlds financial problems. so its expected i suppose. Christmas really should be banned from shops until october though.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I wonder how much of the Christmas paraphenalia being put up in stores now is simply holdover junk from last Christmas' anemic sales? Maybe the stores are making a last ditch effort to clear storehouse room for the overflow of unsold junk they'll get brand new from suppliers this year.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I can give you a partial answer based on my limited knowledge. This particular store had mostly new items. A good bit of the wrapping paper was hold-over (as is normally the way they do Christmas), but the only other I saw was about 6 of last years mini-light sets mixed into a box of 24 new ones.

So really, not much. It's pretty much all new.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join