It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torturing 'does not get truth'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Torture techniques used on suspected terrorists by the Bush administration may have failed to get to the truth, researchers say.

Professor Shane O'Mara of Trinity College, Dublin, said the interrogation techniques had a detrimental effect on brain functions related to memory.

Professor O'Mara said US Department of Justice memos released in April showed that the Americans believed that prolonged periods of shock, anxiety, disorientation and lack of control were more effective than standard interrogation in extracting the truth.

He said: "This is based on the assumption that subjects will be motivated to reveal truthful information to end interrogation, and that extreme stress, shock and anxiety do not impact on memory.

"However this model of the impact of extreme stress on memory and the brain is utterly unsupported by scientific evidence."

Techniques used by US

Walling - captive is placed with heels touching the wall and is pulled away and pushed back into it with force

Wall standing - captive stands four to five feet from wall with fingertips supporting all the body weight to induce muscle fatigue

Cramped confinement - captive place in small box in darkness for up to two hours, in a larger box for up to 18 hours

Sleep deprivation - captive is deprived of sleep for up to 11 days

Stress positions - captive sits on floor with legs straight out in front and arms raised above head or is made to kneel on the floor while leaning back at a 45 degree angle

Waterboarding - captive is bound head down on an inclined bench with a cloth over the eyes. Water is applied to the cloth for 20 to 40 seconds at a time inducing fast breathing and perception of drowning

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Sand F

"Torturing 'does not get truth'"

Why this is not common knowledge to everyone is beyond me. It's a fact, I don't care who you are, there is only so much pain you can take before you will say or do anything to stop the pain. Telling the truth is not the goal, stopping the pain is.

I thought this was the lesson learned from the witch trials of old Europe. Where the victim was tortured into "confessing" of being a witch. Then executed for the confession. It was a win, win, situation for the prosecution. They could always say, "see I told you she was a witch, she even confessed to it".

The victim was of course tortured into naming others as witches, who in turn, named even more innocents as witches. In this way the insanity actually fed off itself.

What a sorry commentary on man that this crap is tolerated in this day and age.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by useless eaters

I could show an article that says other wise.

Which one would you believe?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Lets face it 1000's of people have been tortured in the last 9 years just to help convince us of a terrorist threat and also to help create one from nothing. There is no other reason for places like Guantanamo being so visible. Its a sick would we live in people.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Of course Torture doesn't work, it never has produced reliable information, NEVER.

After all, people are just like the Bible...... If you torture either of them long enough, they will both say whatever you want them to.

- doesn't make it true.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Give me about 10 minutes with someone who truly believes torture doesn't work and I bet I'll convince them otherwise. Sure, you'll get some garbage, but if they know that garbage simply means more and worse, they'll keep it factual. Now, I don't condone torture for people selling pot on the streets of San Francisco. But, if someone thinks they're going to kill a couple of thousand innocent people because the only way they'll get laid is because a long dead prophet promised them dead virgins in heaven, then I don't mind making their life here a living hell. Even if it doesn't gleen terribly useful information, letting martyr wannabees know that they could get hurt a lot, and not become martyrs any time soon, might just discourage the weaker of the wimps into doing something more productive with their life.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonage
Give me about 10 minutes with someone who truly believes torture doesn't work and I bet I'll convince them otherwise. Sure, you'll get some garbage, but if they know that garbage simply means more and worse, they'll keep it factual. Now, I don't condone torture for people selling pot on the streets of San Francisco. But, if someone thinks they're going to kill a couple of thousand innocent people because the only way they'll get laid is because a long dead prophet promised them dead virgins in heaven, then I don't mind making their life here a living hell. Even if it doesn't gleen terribly useful information, letting martyr wannabees know that they could get hurt a lot, and not become martyrs any time soon, might just discourage the weaker of the wimps into doing something more productive with their life.

Mind Boggling.......
I just don't know where to start, the silliness about torture, the ignorance of the religion of Islam, the melding of pot being sold on San Francisco streets...

Torture does not, and never has produced reliable information, and your belief that you can just torture them more, or harder and that will convince them to provide reliable information, as opposed to say, anything they think you want to know, true or not.

Torture has never, ever been a reliable source of information gathering.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonage

What if the person you are torturing doesnt know anything? They are going to start making up stuff to stop the pain. How are you going to know the difference??

Also i think a lot of people here have been watching to many movies. Its not usually a case of 1 person trying to get info out of another.. people just get tortured! Day after day. Many times no one ever speaks to them for months and they dont even know why they are there, especially if they had been rendered to a foreign country. These people cant suddenly just tell someone some info to stop what happening to them because that not why people are tortured.

The ONLY time torture is an effective tool is when you want someone to sign a false confession. Its also used to create 'freedom fighters' or to spread fear or make a dumb population think theres a need to get that serious. But never for gaining info.

This is where you get the phrase 'tourture is a dirty business' from

[edit on 22-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonage

You're talking about people who blow themselves up to follow their cause.

You think someone that extreme is going to give up due to pain? I doubt it.

Now if we're talking about people who want to live, and live life healthy? Yeah that might work.

Religious extremism is a completely different ball game. Hurting them, trying to kill them? That just makes them believe their cause is righteous and that you are a force of evil.

new topics

top topics

join