It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be very careful what you write on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
You sound like somebody who hates their job, makes it difficult for all those he works with but won't quit and the bosses can't fire him without cause.

Truth seems to really p**s a lot of people off..

Oh well!

What I said still stands.

Good day!

- Mea

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
-1- There's nothing inherently wrong with cookies.

-2- We've never claimed "ownership" of the content posted by members.

-3- As explained, we don't delete posts because it disrupts the conversation.

-4- We don't delete accounts because nothing personal about you is ever asked for, or retained.

Not only is personal info not asked for or retained, it is actually Discouraged! I have seen many posts removed, because identifying information was in the post!

Anything I post on the internet on a site which I do not own (and sites I do own are often plagarized!), is definitely subject to be reprinted or used. I appreciate the credit that ATS gives when they do repost something! They have never put up anything of mine that did not give appropriate credit back to me!

The OP mentioned Youtube and Facebook, but those sites are just as likely to repost your material, or use your likenesses for marketing, and you agree to those things as soon as you sign up!

Kudos to ATS for being fair, and having some of the most clear and rigid T and C's I have seen anywhere.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by getreadyalready]

Seconded.

When I go to a museum or art gallery and place a comment in the visitors book I don't come back at a later date with a book deal under me arm demanding my entry in the visitors book be deleted.

C'mon get over it, stop being unreasonable, wise up and understand ATS has to do this otherwise they'd be being sued for copyright theft left right and centre. I'm sure the BBC has more onerous

Cookies- I hate them too. but I have NEVER been to ANY website that doesn't use them. Get an extension or plug-in for your browser. I use Noscript which gives you total control over cookies in firefox, or just disable them manually. Set your browser to delete all history whenever you close it
too.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm only posting because i know you've already gone to the library and started another account. Not sure what your deal is, but please mellow out man. I don't like cookies either, but must say that it is nice not to enter my complicated password and get directly into the action when I visit the site. As far as a owners/mod agenda...who doesn't have an agenda these days. At least these guys will explain their side to you, try getting that from Facebook.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Again, this has probably been banged-on endlessly elsewhere, but... you check a box when you register to say you've read AND understood the T&Cs.

Pop-ups are a pain, but I don't get them on here - I'm using firefox if that's relevant - ads are annoying, but that's how the site is paid for and I wouldn't want to pay a subscription, it might be nice to have the option to subscribe and not see ads, but ATS isn't ad-heavy I find and I visit sites that are more so, I'm still good at ignoring them.

If you're aware of tracking cookies, you're probably more than capable of deleting them... as for actually deleting your profile, well yeah, I think that should be an option, but as it's in the T&Cs - tough really.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Logging in minimizes the ads significantly. No popups if you log in. If you delete cookies, you'll have to log in every time and will probably get a popup before you do.

There's a threshold you can meet (unsure of the parameters but it's a combination of stars flags and posts or something) that will eliminate all ads.

As to the "ownership" of the material, I'm confident the site has the mutual best interests of the membership and the site in mind, which is easy enough for me to say, because it isn't likely I'm going to drop some valuable literary gem in here anyway. The thread starter though, I can see why he'd be concerned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join