It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't stop panda extinction

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
As for Now_Then, I am going to assume that he is being his usually cheeky self, he claims to do things like staple his cat, or panfry it to get a rise....
Naughty NT!

Actually I'm not happy with sentimentality being the driving force for conservation.... I'm more than happy to staple my cat to a panda if it gets a laugh - but I care about both the cat and the panda.

Spank you Zazzafrazle me lover

Its not like we need the space they have?

Here you tell her mama you're evicting her from planet earth because we haven't got enough room for our plastic bag islands choking the pacific or our burning tyre hills, or our polystyrene wrapper mountains that need to take their habitat.
Not survival of the fittest, its bullying of the meanest
Zazz staples plastic sign to NTs backside that says "Kick me"

[edit on 25-9-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I love that baby panda sneezing video, I saw it a while back and it made me laugh watching it again just now. So darn cute.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
its not going to be the first animals humans have put to extinction...so i guess its okay for him

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Chris Packham and David Bellamy are spot on. It may not be a popular opinion... but it is fact.

I think that what they see is this... even when humans are trying to do good there is an element of selfishness.

Ahhh... cute lovely little panda's... they are just so adorable... Yeah right!!! More like marketable!!!

Would people feel the same if it was a species of Termite??

I think that the message that Chris and David are trying to give is this...
If we are not careful we could end up with an almost lifeless concrete planet with a few pandas in cages.

No one is suggesting that it is not sad that the Pandas are becoming extinct... just that it would be far more wise to spend the money buying up the precious land, for conservation, that is disappearing. If you buy just a few thousand acres of forest, how many species can live and thrive there?

It may seem a little harsh... but the WWF have limited funds and need to use what they have wisely.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I don't agree. With all our knowledge, creativity, intelligence and all our technology there is no excuse for animal species such as pandas and tigers to die out. If human beings are expanding into their habitat to the degree that these animals will be left to breed and live in zoos and cages then WE as the intelligent creatures we are should take steps to do something to fix the problem we helped create. If that means trying a different solution instead of what we have been attempting so far, so be it. The creators of the problem should d@mn well find a solution to the problem, or we are poor excuses for "intelligent life forms" indeed.

This problem is habitat related, and human beings do not need to take over the planet in such a way that we as a species are the sole reason these animals are endangered. We endanger the animals, we endanger their food source, we endanger the earth. It's all connected.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

Yep... I agree with all that you say. The point here though is not about what governments, corporate’s or the world as a whole can do... it’s about what the WWF can do as a charity organisation.

With the limited resources they have, they should be trying to get as much land as possible to save as many species as possible... not just concentrate on one or two "cute" species because it’s good for publicity.

This is not to say that the plight of the panda, or any species for that matter, is not tragic... just that it shouldn’t be top of the agenda when there’s a whole world at risk.

Just my opinion

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I agree that one organization alone cannot fix many years worth of damage that got us into this mess. And I think each species has its worth, not just the cute fluffy ones (lol). It's just very frustrating to me that we don't have better solutions to help maintain our wildlife, especially if we humans are the ones who fast-tracked their endangerment status. Many more organizations and companies need to care and be involved. The steps taken now will affect generations to come.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
If governments did their job there would be no need for organizations like the WWF.
Conservation of critical environments is one area where a global body like the U.N. could have a major role in providing needed funds; especially to countries with struggling economies.

The caveat being that the solution is doable, such as when reversing a man made problem. When you have a severe drought like there is in east Africa right now, then there is much less that can be done.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

I totally understand the frustration you are experiencing... It is extremely sad to watch this beautiful planet being slowly raped and poisoned. A star for your passion because I think it’s a shame more people don’t think like you do 

The sad truth though is that very few Governments, Corporates, people in power, care. If they did, we wouldn’t be in this mess. So... it is up to the small organisations that do care, to make the point and use the resources they have very wisely.

It is probably why Chris Packham and David Bellamy said what they said... They are true lovers of the Animal world and I think they are Sad, Frustrated and Angry when they see one of the biggest Wildlife charity’s in the world turning into a money making machine. It’s a difficult one really... Because the truth of matter is If the WWF had a termite as its mascot they would probably receive very few donations.

What a sad sad species the human race is

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Thank you for the star, and one for you for your polite and thoughtful response. Topics like these make me wish I could single handedly do much more, but I hope that enough people are outraged at not having these creatures in our world to join together to do something about it.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
could it be to inter-breeding and small gene pool?
i hear they aren't the smartest animals. maybe they are the equivalent of labrador retrievers? a genetic thread that just weeded itself out?

edit: not to say that labs weeded themselves out.

[edit on 9/28/2009 by zooplancton]

<< 1  2   >>

join