It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama is President So Racism is Over. Right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
There has been a lot of Racism awareness on here recently.

Racism is for Ignorant fools

So i thought i would share these articles from Psychology Today with you all.

Obama is President So Racism is Over. Right?

Thank you Obama. Racism is over!
If Only

Two recent papers, hot off the press in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology present some alarming data. Daniel A. Effron, a graduate student at Stanford University and his collaborators conducted three studies to test whether endorsing Obama would cause people to favor Whites at the expense of Blacks. They predicted that this would indeed be the case, based on the idea of "moral credentials" put forward by Benoit Monin and Dale Miller. Monin and Miller found that people were more willing to express potentially prejudiced attitudes when their past behavior had given them a bit of credentials as a nonpredjudiced person. Effron and his collaborators applied this idea to the Obama election and found that after Obama supporters expressed support for Obama in the experiment, they were more willing to say that a police job at a force characterized by racial tension was better suited for Whites than for Blacks.

In another alarming study, Cheryl R. Kaiser at the University of Washington and her colleagues tracked people's perceptions of the need for affirmative action and other policies that address racial injustice both prior to and after the election. They found that Obama's election was associated with (a) greater perceptions that anyone, regardless of life circumstances, can achieve success in the U.S. through hard work, (b) decreased perception that the U.S. has a long way to go to achieve racial equality, (c) less support for policies that address racial inequality such as affirmative action, desegregation programs that promote diversity in public schools, business efforts to promote diversity in the workplace, and equal access to healthcare for minorities.

These results are troublesome. Look. I'm not saying we need to tone down our optimism. But I do think we need to increase our realism. The truth is that there are pervasive racial disparities in nearly all aspects of American society. Kaiser and colleagues list only a few examples. Black men over 18 years of age are seven times more likely to be incarcerated than White men of the same age range. Black families are nearly three times more likely to live below the poverty line as white families. Compared to Whites, Blacks are 30% more likely to die from heart disease as well as cancer. I totally agree with Kaiser and colleagues when they say, "If Americans assume that racism is less of a problem now that they have elected a Black president, their misperception could make it difficult to garner resources and support for efforts that are so desperately needed to address these racial disparities."

Sure, Obama's election was huge. And trust me, I look forward to the increased opportunities for individual expression and the broader appreciation for ethnic diversity this presidency is sure to generate (see Are conservatives less creative than liberals?). But let's make sure we don't think we've completely fulfilled our moral credentials just because we voted for Obama and told all our friends how fabulous he is. There's a lot of work that needs to be done to reduce racial inequalities in America. Let's not get complacent, OK?

www.psychologytoday.com...

How To Eliminate Racism

No doubt, racism is one of the most important evils in our pluralistic, open societies need to confront. And various programs are meant to do so. But what are the odds that these programs will work? Psychology can help us answer this question.

There are roughly two distinct ways to fight against racism. One can attempt to weaken people’s disposition to classify themselves and others into races. The thought goes as follows. Suppose people treat race as they treat eye color—viz. as an irrelevant, superficial, psychologically and morally meaningless physical character. Then, people would not despise, hate, envy, be afraid of, etc., others because of their race. After all, we do not despise, hate, envy, etc., others on the basis of the color of their eyes.

Alternatively, one can leave people’s disposition to classify themselves and others into races as it is, and attempt to eliminate people’s negative attitudes (such as their negative emotions) toward members of other races. If this approach were to work, people would still view themselves as Black, White, and so on, but they would have no negative attitude toward other individuals qua members of specific races.

Now, will the attempts of fighting racism that are inspired by these two approaches work? What can psychology tell us about their chances of success? It is fair to say that lawmakers and social activists have ignored the potential contributions of psychology to answering these questions. In this post, I want to make a case for the relevance of psychology with respect to the design of anti-racist programs.

I will first focus on the first way to fight racism, leaving the second one for another occasion. So, what does psychology tell us about the attempts to fight against racism by eliminating or weakening our disposition to classify into races? To answer this question, we need to turn toward the research on the nature and evolution of the cognitive mechanisms underlying racial categorization. This is what I will do in the remainder of this post. In my next post (in a week or so), I will explain why it matters to anti-racist programs. The literature on racial classification is too vast to be reviewed here (see, e.g., Machery and Faucher, 2005b for an overview of what evolutionary have to say on the topic). I will merely present what I take to be the best hypothesis (Machery and Faucher, 2005a).

Following anthropologist Francisco Gil-White, I have proposed that we evolved a capacity to determine to which cultural group people belong to. We pay attention to cues or markers that indicate people’s affiliation to specific groups. These markers include accents, clothes, behaviors, and maybe subtle physical features; many cultures physically shape the body of their members: think, e.g., about the Padaung Giraffe women, about the split and cut penises in Papua New Guinea, about our own tattoos.

Why did this system evolve? Well, the idea is that it is important to know whether people belongs to one’s own or to another culture when one undertakes some cooperative ventures with them. In the latter case, they might comply with different norms, have different expectations, etc., which might prevent success.

Now where does racial classification come in? The idea is that our disposition to identify cultural markers and to infer cultural membership misfires. We take various racial properties (skin color, etc.) to be cultural markers and as a result, we draw distinctions between races. Racial classification is thus some kind of accident. We have not evolved to classify into races, but, rather, into cultural groups. And we mistake races for cultural groups.

How Racist Are You?

implicit.harvard.edu...

Where Bias Begins: The Truth about Stereotypes

www.psychologytoday.com...

DENY IGNORANCE
DENY RACISM

Peace.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Racism is worse now than it was ten years ago if anything, which I believe is largely due to social and financial tension rather than outright hate of another color person.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
having a black president doesn't mean that black people in america are all of a sudden going to be on an equal footing with white people, it just proves that black people have an equal opportunity to succeed.

it doesn't mean racism doesn't exist, it means that there isn't enough of it around to hold you back, so stop using it as an excuse.

in every other westerised country, there is a section of people that are more likely to be locked up, be poor and have a higher incidence of disease but the only country that calls it racism is america.

the thing is, calling it racism will, by itself, hold people back. it allows them to abdicate their responsibility for their own short comings. "i'm not in prison because i committed a crime, i'm here because of racism", "i'm not poor because i don't strive to succeed, i'm poor because of racism". it allows people to blame others for their shortcomings rather than man up and take responsibility for their own actions.

if you treat poverty as a social issue, which it is, then you emphsise the fact that it is within each persons power to rise above their own poverty and it is each persons responsibility to do so.

poverty is the issue described in those studies, not racism, and the only person who can do anything about poverty is the poor person themselves.

[edit on 22/9/09 by pieman]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
S and F

IMO, racism was over when slavery was obolished. Unfortunately, It's become a kind of currency. Those willing to accuse others of it have prospered because of it. They are not about to let it go, they are going to milk it, and get as much mileage from it as possible.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by free2cht2005

:lol
retty kool! That's really testing the limits of what people will believe. There is another video on the same page with Bush, Bin Laden, and Hillary, that's even more funny.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
having a black president doesn't mean that black people in america are all of a sudden going to be on an equal footing with white people, it just proves that black people have an equal opportunity to succeed.

it doesn't mean racism doesn't exist, it means that there isn't enough of it around to hold you back, so stop using it as an excuse.

in every other westerised country, there is a section of people that are more likely to be locked up, be poor and have a higher incidence of disease but the only country that calls it racism is america.

the thing is, calling it racism will, by itself, hold people back. it allows them to abdicate their responsibility for their own short comings. "i'm not in prison because i committed a crime, i'm here because of racism", "i'm not poor because i don't strive to succeed, i'm poor because of racism". it allows people to blame others for their shortcomings rather than man up and take responsibility for their own actions.

if you treat poverty as a social issue, which it is, then you emphsise the fact that it is within each persons power to rise above their own poverty and it is each persons responsibility to do so.

poverty is the issue described in those studies, not racism, and the only person who can do anything about poverty is the poor person themselves.

We are talking Orientals,....Right?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This is such a dicey topic so I will try to keep my thoughts simple. Obama is part of the problem because he keeps playing up the race issue. He is cracking jokes on Letterman and yet he has done nothing to minimize this perceived problem.

Right now the majority of the nation from all walks of life and from most of the colors in the political spectrum are fed up with Obama's policies, tactics, power grab and subsequent disregard for the constitution.

He has been totally absent with regard to foreign policy. He doesn't not know what to do in Afghanistan. He spends his apparently abundant spare time working the Sunday talk show circuit, appearing on Letterman and giving speeches across the country to his tether handlers in the AFL-CIO.

Black, Mulatto or White.... any president behaving in this manner will be criticized and Obama does not like to be criticized by anyone. So, the race card is the perfect defense and Obama's well place minions in the MSM are doing his dirty work for him.

Are they some factions in this country who don't like him because he is Mulatto, Yes. You will find those people within all races however not just Black vs. White.

Groups like Obama's pet project ACORN have exploited Blacks and the underprivileged for their own gain long enough and their time is nigh.

The opportunities are out there for anyone who wishes to achieve them. However, I do feel that Obama is not a good example of this. He has been positioned into his current place in history. His hands have been held throughout his political career and the nation will pay the ultimate price.

His two narcissistic autobiographies would like you to believe differently.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this out. I've been trying to find a way to say it, to get the point across, but have been failing. Since Obama became president, racism hasn't increased or decreased, it's just been brought to the forefront. People are talking about it instead of ignoring it or avoiding it.

It's going to be a rough time of growth in our country, but all growing pains are painful. So many are resistant to change and in denial, but just the fact that we have elected our first black president is a signal that the majority of the country is ready to make the changes we need to have a more accepting, open society. And even though painful, it's a good thing.

Originally posted by useless eaters
S and F

IMO, racism was over when slavery was obolished.

You obviously couldn't be bothered to read the OP as it states just the opposite of what you say, yet you starred and flagged it. :shk:

We are talking Orientals,....Right?

"Oriental" is an adjective describing a rug, a culture or a country. The people are Asian (or whatever country they come from: Vietnamese, Korean, etc.). To use the term "Orientals" to describe the people is offensive. I'm not saying that you care, but I wanted you to know, so that if you make that choice in the future, you'll be doing so, not out of ignorance, but out of the choice to offend.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
the fact that we have elected our first black president is a signal that the majority of the country is ready to make the changes we need to have a more accepting, open society.

don't you think that it suggests the changes have already taken place? surely,a black president is the culmination of the civil rights movement rather than any kind of beginning.

what more needs to be done? doesn't this suggest that the majority of americans have already moved beyond race?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
don't you think that it suggests the changes have already taken place?

SOME changes have taken place. But this country has a long way to go to rid itself of racism.

surely,a black president is the culmination of the civil rights movement rather than any kind of beginning.

I disagree. It isn't the beginning, but it isn't the end, either. Change is a process, not an event. Electing a black president is a stepping stone in the journey.

what more needs to be done?

Plenty more. From the OP:

Black men over 18 years of age are seven times more likely to be incarcerated than White men of the same age range. Black families are nearly three times more likely to live below the poverty line as white families. Compared to Whites, Blacks are 30% more likely to die from heart disease as well as cancer.

When the color of a man's skin is irrelevant in the incarceration statistics; when the same percentage of blacks and whites live beneath the poverty line; when black people aren't congregated in poverty stricken inner cities where the government has concentrated waste, and when black people make the same amount of money as white people in the same job, then we can start talking about it being over.

doesn't this suggest that the majority of americans have already moved beyond race?

It's possible, but it also suggests that people wanted a change from the Bush years SO badly that they held their noses and voted for the black man, hoping that he would begin to heal what the previous administration did to this country. And besides, having the majority move beyond race doesn't mean anything if those in power (a minority) still haven't.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Plenty more. From the OP:

Black men over 18 years of age are seven times more likely to be incarcerated than White men of the same age range. Black families are nearly three times more likely to live below the poverty line as white families. Compared to Whites, Blacks are 30% more likely to die from heart disease as well as cancer.

isn't it possible that the reason that black men commit crime is because they are told that, because of racism, the only way they can get out of the poverty trap is through crime, sport or entertainment?

isn't it possible that, because of this, black men are seven times more likely to commit crime? isn't it possible that this impoverishes their families and forces them below the poverty line and this poverty leads them to die younger? isn't it possible that this is a vicious cycle bought about by the belief that there is little hope of escape because of racism.

if this isn't the case, explain mainstream culture.

i say the myth of racism is the problem, not racism itself.

It's possible, but it also suggests that people wanted a change from the Bush years SO badly that they held their noses and voted for the black man, hoping that he would begin to heal what the previous administration did to this country.

so people voted for him because he represented change, regardless of his skin color. isn't that the way it should be?

And besides, having the majority move beyond race doesn't mean anything if those in power (a minority) still haven't.

i thought the majority was the power in a democracy? one of the two main parties nominated him, so that's a big chunk of politics.

who are these empowered minority?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

I'm sorry, I know you may hate me for saying this, but I'm not inclined to take the time and energy to answer your questions. I'm just being truthful. You need to educate yourself if you really want to know the answers. And that's a process, too. Not something that can be answered in a post.

It is a systemic problem, that's for sure. But you have to look beyond the fact of black men in prison. You have to look beyond the obvious. You have to look at the WHY.

As long as you're in denial about the fact of racism being real, then you're going to think and feel the way you do.

Losing A Generation
Under Seige: Why are So Many Black Men in Prison
America's New Slavery: Black Men in Prison

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

As long as you're in denial about the fact of racism being real, then you're going to think and feel the way you do.

you know what, you're right, i deny racism, i believe that a person can achieve anything they want to in todays america, regardless of skin color. they can be a doctor, a lawyer, a judge, a politician or even the president.

as long as you are in denial about this being real, you're going to think and feel the way you do.

which one of us is right?

can you be a doctor, a lawyer, a judge, a politician or even the president in todays america, regardless of skin color?

so why blame someone else because you're not? who are you fooling except yourself?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It doesn't really matter actually, not anymore at least.
The big picture is this, the world is getting more global and most power no longer lie in the hands of europeans. If you're not a racist, it's a personal victory rather than a cultural one.

America (especially) and a lot of other european countries.. they no longer determine their own fates, but largely influenced by other people, other nations.. other forces. They're the weaker ones now and without their external supports, they could collapse. So it doesn't matter much if some people in those countries are still a bunch of racists. It only matters mostly to the victim of racism itself, but unlike the old days, the racists no longer have the power to set the hidden agenda.

My suggestion to you is this, don't bite the hands that feed you, even though their hands might not be the same color as yours.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Who made you an authority on race relations? No matter what another has to say about this subject your always there to show then how little they know, You talk about some “process”. Then you say , “This information cannot be covered in a post”. So others are wrong and you are the only one who can know anything about this ambiguous, esoteric, subject.

Now, evidently , this subject of “Racism” which only you are allowed to define, is so complicated, so sacred or whatever it cannot be covered in a post. So when exactly is us mere mortals going to be enlightened by your wisdom on the subject? Does the timing have to be right? Do we need to burn candles and hold hands?

This has gone way past the point of just being ridiculous. If you would take the time to read the some of these post , instead of accusing others of not reading them, you might find this subject has been resolved several times over in terms almost any can understand. But oh no, you know more about it than anyone else.

I make no claim to being any smarter or dumber than anyone here . But there is one area I will always know more than you . MYSELF! Yea, that’s right I will always know more about myself than you ever will. I know for a fact I am no “Racist” I have grown tired of have to explain to people like you who evidently see nothing but race, that Iam no racist. You know nothing of what is in my soul and if you knew how silly you look when you when you try to tell me otherwise you wouldn’t do it. This crap your preaching about others having some sort of latent racism that is just now coming out because we have a black president , and that others are in denial is as pompous arrogant and stupid as they come and fulfills an agenda with is so childish, so selfish, only a child would pursue it.

From what I have seen and heard of you thus far you’re a race baiter. Where there is NO racism, you are going to put racism there under the cover of , “racial awareness”. You are going to make others “aware” of racial issues where no racial issues exist. It’s called race baiting. You are exploiting race on this website and are thereby doing a disservice.

Some of us want to move on. And can see no point in furthering something where anything that can be said about it has already been said . The issue is no longer “racism” but is now those who want to continually bring it up, stop beating a dead horse to death. This subject of racism is done , so, stick a fork in it. It’s about as exciting as last months newspaper.

Your ability to articulate what is in your mind is excellent. I do not know why you would waste all that talent on a subject so undeserving of talent.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

So basically they're saying that unqualified people should get access to jobs or seats in schools based on their race or creed. I think modern racism comes from the "affirmative" BS programs that create social dissidence because of the fact that by marking black on an application you may have a better chance of getting hired because of the affirmative action laws. Look nothing is free, especially in America. I honestly think people should pay more attention to qualifications then race, and then we'll be moving somewhere. This sense of entitlement garbage has to cease.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

So others are wrong and you are the only one who can know anything about this ambiguous, esoteric, subject.

If I believed that, then I would surely "preach" to you about it. I don't know where you got the idea that I think I am an authority or that I show people how little they know or that I'm the only one who can know anything about racism. That's absurd! This is apparently a fantasy of yours, as it doesn't resemble the truth.

You're talking a bunch of smack to me and it really doesn't make any sense. You made a boatload of assumptions about me and posted them in your little rant. I hope you got that out of your system and the thread can go back on topic.

So when exactly is us mere mortals going to be enlightened by your wisdom on the subject?

IMO, it's not something I can or care to explain to people. It comes from being curious, doing research, talking to people and experiencing.

Do we need to burn candles and hold hands?

It couldn't hurt.

You are exploiting race on this website and are thereby doing a disservice.

If that is your opinion, I suggest you alert the mods.

The issue is no longer “racism” but is now those who want to continually bring it up, stop beating a dead horse to death.

Do you think I started this thread? I did not "bring it up". I answered a thread. If my response bothers you, well, too bad. I did not say you were racist or suggest that I know you or your soul. I made no such insinuations. I pointed out that you starred and flagged a thread that you totally disagree with.

You are "beating a dead horse to death" as much as anyone else.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
How can racism be over with Obama introducing racial marking. At a university in America now all races have to have the same level of passes, and exactly the same percentage scores. So if China decided to send all their top people to study in the usa: which would represent the best of the brightest of one third of the worlds population: and a persosn of chinese origin from the usa also is in the same university, they would have to average out the same as any other race. Does this not seem unfair on the person not from China.

Also it will mean that people will not want to study in the USA as this adds an extra uncontrollable element in what degree they get. Also it means that everyone will suppose that anyone black with a degree would have in reality done slightly worse: making it impossible for anyone blackc to be recognised as a top student.

new topics

top topics

join