It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Quake In Melbourne Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Just had a series of 3 close tremors on the Mornington Peninsula, south east of Melbourne at 6:20 pm. The house and ground absolutely shook with a large audible bang! Did anyone else feel them in the area or Melbourne CBD.

These felt much much bigger than the tremors in February 2009. I can't find anything on the internet about them yet. Perhaps it's still too early.

IRM

NOTE MODS:

If this is in the wrong area, can one of the Moderators please move to wherever is appropriate.

[edit on 22/9/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Great speed mate, beat MSN by 15mins, hope all is good, what strength??

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Great speed mate, beat MSN by 15mins, hope all is good, what strength??

I can't find a report on the strength yet. I think it was around a 4... but don't quote me on that. All I know is it's the biggest I've ever felt in this area.

Cheers Scuba!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Just heard this on the news....hope everyone is okay there.
We had really strong bizarre dust storms here in NSW today too.
Strange weather behaviour indeed.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

What news did you listen to? We haven't heard anything on the radio or TV yet!

IRM

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I read about it on another website (not a news site)

2nd line

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

The TV was on A Current Affair with Tracey Grimshaw and they had a news update and mentioned the tremor that shook houses, shelves etc in Melbourne. Said to watch late news for more details. It was about halfway through the programme.

Pretty sure she said Melbourne, but maybe there was a tremor somewhere else that was reported?

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I just found this (12min ago)
www.theage.com.au...

Residents of Melbourne's south-eastern suburbs are reporting that an earth tremor hit the area this afternoon.

Age reader Matthew Muir said the tremor hit Berwick about 6.21pm as "a rumble".

"[It] lasted around 15 seconds, and finish[ed] with a slightly louder, and felt, jolt," he said.

Readers from Narre Warren and Frankston also reported feeling the tremor.

"We heard large rumblings and felt [the] ground vibrate. It all ended with a loud bang," Rowena Esslinger from Narre Warren said.

Dozens of people took to online networking site Twitter to report the "earthquake", with Pakenham, Cockatoo and the Mornington Peninsula among the areas where it was reportedly felt.

Confirmation of the apparent tremor has been sought from Geoscience Australia.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I've been watching and listening to ABC. Hopeless... Nothing.. Nada, Zip! Thanks for the information Flighty. Will have to watch the late news so it seems.

IRM

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Heard about it on A Current Affair too, and thought I'd get the heads up from the following sites:

www.ga.gov.au...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

No Result:

Thought Go to ATS = BINGO!

Way to go InfraRedMan and ATS - One hour before anywhere else (on the internet).

Hope your okay down there!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Funny enough , it was just a quick news flash on channel 9...... any news on strength yet mate ??

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Herald Sun is reporting it now

AN EARTHQUAKE - one of the strongest yet - has rocked Frankston, damaging houses and terrifying residents.

The tremor is believed to have been centred in the Karingal area at about 6:25pm.

link to article

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
It was a little odd. I Heard a massive noise, thought it was thunder then a sudden thud.

There wasn't really a shake felt like something hit the house.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Cheers wycky, heffo7, scubagravy, Ape_Man & sarzzra! Good info!

On the ABC they said it was believed to be somewhere around a 3... but I doubt that. It felt way stronger than a three!!! Interesting that one report suggests as I did. One of the biggest in the area. There were 3 consecutive tremors separated by a few seconds. Karingal is the next town to me (I'm in Langwarrin) so no wonder it was very strong here!

Will have to go out and check for damage tomorrow morning!

IRM

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

The free stations are hopeless for big news that breaks.
We usually have to wait until the late news for all the details.
It's times like that I wish I had cable, but the feeling doesn't last.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
yup it was melbourne alright. south east burbs. i felt the one in march but i was on my way home and didnt feel this one. my brother and parents felt it and they live 2 mins from my place. they said it was loud and my brother even complained of headaches after the earthquake. we seem to be having a lot of local activity around these parts. i have lived here most of my life and this is highly unusual we never have tremors of this magnitude this frequently. i wonder whats going on or down as the case may be.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
There has been a fair bit of activity down in Melbourne the past few months. I wonder if it's a prelude to something but it's most likely nothing.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Here is an interesting web page re Australia's hot spots. About 3/4 down the page shows Victoria's faults. Strangely I was only looking at this last night and wondering.....
home.iprimus.com.au...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Looks like it was a magnitude 3.0 from what i can find from my sources here in the US.
They just say near Melbourne AU

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
Here is an interesting web page re Australia's hot spots. About 3/4 down the page shows Victoria's faults. Strangely I was only looking at this last night and wondering.....
home.iprimus.com.au...

Thanks heaps for the information

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join