It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security threat closes US state facilities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
All United States government facilities in South Africa, including diplomatic missions, have been closed today because of an undisclosed security threat.

US embassy spokeswoman Sharon Hudson-Dean confirmed the information. She said: "Based on information recently received by the Regional Security Office, all US Government facilities in South Africa will be closed on Tuesday, September 22, 2009. Our current assumption is that all US Government facilities will be open on Wednesday, September 23, 2009." - Peter Fabricius

Source Article

I'm not sure what to make of this but it grabbed my attention and I can't help asking the question "What do 'they' know that we don't?"

Anyone out there know why this is happening or have any thoughts to share about this development?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
S and F

I don't know about the South Africa end of it, But there is a lot of talk on the internet about terrorist in America on that date.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by useless eaters
S and F

I don't know about the South Africa end of it, But there is a lot of talk on the internet about terrorist in America on that date.

"that date" is today! Got anything more specific??

[not to take the conversation off topic, please remember OP]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Yep ... this is happening today but I have no more information at this stage.

I will of course monitor it as well as I can (I am at work - but luckily as an IT manager
) and provide updates as they become available.

Perhaps its just a case of "rather safe than sorry" ... but it would be really nice if someone told us (the SA public) what the possible threat is ... no?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Weird that it is happening on September 22 (11 x 2) could the date mean

something, like September 11 two times worse? Why in South Africa? Maybe

we will see the same in US later. Very interesting.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Could it be related to the event in the Persian Gulf?, South Africa isn't too far away.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Here's a link with a little more info ... not much - but starting to point at possible reasons ...

More Info

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Travel agents in the dark about US closures

Just an update on the story....

Law expert Portia Mngomezulu said this morning that the restriction to take pictures of US consulate in Johannesburg is not in terms of the law or any particular legislation, but a diplomatic agreement between the two governments. "It is designed to protect the embassy from attacks. It's for security reasons," she said. Claude van Keirsbilck, a board member of the Association of South African Travel Agents and an executive at Tourvest Travel Services, which represents American Express Travel and Seekers, said the travel industry had today received no notification of the sudden closure of the US government facilities.

"It's disturbing because we don't know what to say to our clients. We are busy sending out notifications to all our member bodies," he said, adding that because the US visa application process was an appointment arrangement between the traveller and the US consulate directly, it was not possible to say how many people were impacted by today's sudden closure.

"We don't know if the visa offices have been contacting individuals directly to tell them that the offices are closed today as we have not heard of anything like this happening." - Gill Gifford and Solly Maphumulo

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It seems the security threat could be linked to this incident.

www.iol.co.za...

"The United States is Islam's known enemy and we will never expect mercy from them, nor should they expect mercy from us." According to US officials, Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan, a Kenyan citizen wanted by the FBI as a mastermind of the deadly 2002 anti-Israeli attacks in Mombasa, was killed in a US military operation Monday in southern Somalia.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ya I saw that one too ... and though it probably has some bearing on the issue, I am wondering if they've done this throughout Africa or in other places in the world.

So far I have found nothing else that indicates that US embassies etc. in other countries have been closed ... anyone know of others??

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
A quick google search suggests it doesn't happen very often. I also don't find any others today.

The threat report must have been very specific. Dates times etc

Hardly surprising, with our open borders, it's an invitation.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
[edit on 22-9-2009 by skywatch]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

That's what got me too ... this is unusual and especially so in South Africa. What peeves me is that these things are dealt with in a manner that excludes the general South African public ... and dare I postulate that our own government and 'security forces' are probably somewhat in the dark also.

Are our citizens not also in danger if some kind of attack is launched at an American site in South Africa? Are we not entitled to know what the nature of such an attack is? Psssh!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Psyagra

I agree, I don't like the fact that the Americans know what's cracking in our

country but we don't. What do they know that we are not allowed to know, why

only in South Africa?

I, trying to find info on this but it seems they are keeping it quiet.

I just found out that 3 objects were spotted over the persian gulf and that one was shot down. We have 3 American embassies in South Africa and they are all closed due to this threat... could it be related

Bheki Cele said it might be a hoax

www.canada.com...

[edit on 22-9-2009 by halfmanhalfamazing]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Well we'll just have to keep our snouts to the ground and keep a sniffing ... I'm sure some BS story will be dished up pretty soon coz I'm sure we're not the only ones asking questions.

I'm quite keen to hear what the 'official' explanation is going to be ... more often than not (especially with SA's buffoon-riddled government) we learn more by listening to what they are not saying ... or how they try to sell the lie that 'explains' everything.

Chances are good that they will shift the focus yet again by ordering ol' Julez to cause some public stink again ... and then blame Zille ... Yawn

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
A statement from Bheki Cele (The South African Police Commisioner)

"There are things that have happened. There are things that are happening," he said, adding that police were in touch with US officials.

Text

What do you suppose is "happening"??? Something is going to happen??

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
maybe they are planting something now and blow it up
when the world championship soccer is there (2010)...
lotttttt off people off all nations will be there

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I find it a little strange them coming out with it, you know, "Hey we're closed today but if you come back in the morning, feel free to try and blow us up then"....

I know it's not that simple, and they haven't got much choice other than to do that, but it seems a little weird.

Good find by the way S+F !

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

If I have to share my true opinion on Cele's utternaces in this regard, I'd have to say that he probably knows something is going down ... but he has no friggin' clue what it is!

Thus the aloof, but rather dumb "There are things that have happened. There are things that are happening ..." tsk tsk tsk

You can see my views of this dude here ... Police Commissioner? ...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I agree that Bheki Cele isn't much of a Police Commisioner

I found this interesting as well on a CNN report.
edition.cnn.com...

"As a precaution, we are closing the embassy for one day and notifying the American community in South Africa to remain vigilant,"

What about the rest of us???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join