It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A request: change the 2012 forum graphic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I was watching Bob Dean speak at the recent Project Camelot conference, which inspired me to throw this idea out there. I'm sure many of the genuinely interested people on this forum have seen it already, but he basically says there will be no asteroid or Nibiru causing havoc in 2012, which is the truth.

The fear mongering surrounding 2012 has to stop, it is everywhere. Even if Nibiru is out there, no one says it's going to cause mayhem in the year 2012, especially on an exact date (21/12/2012). People have linked the Nibiru theory to 2012, which is when the Mayan calender ends and a new age begins.

Here's the current 2012 forum graphic:

Why not replace it with this for example, a picture of the Mayan calendar?

Or even this one of a Mayan pyramid?

ATS is contributing to the fear mongering and disinformation by using a picture depicting destruction and catastrophe. Lets start spreading the right information, and stop this talk about the world ending on the 21st of December 2012.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think the original graphic is appropriate. Such as the forum on aliens have the stereotypical little green man with big black eyes. The asteroid colliding with earth is showing what many would see as an image of the destruction of our world as we know it. The whole thing just isn't about the Mayan calender. In fact the Mayans had many calenders that continued. As an example, our year ends on Dec 31st and we celebrate the new year, that's what this calender basically represents (in my opinion of course). There's other theories that have nothing to do with the Mayan prophecy pertaining to the end of the world on this date. The image as it is now is a broad representation of many things that could happen but is instantly recognizable as a catastrophe.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I do not really care what graphic they put on it.

Put a pic of a teddy bear and a box of chocolates. Does not make a difference at all.

If people here are gullible enough to be influenced so greatly by a silly unrealistic pic than I suppose they deserve to be so.

I however, am not affected either way by such meaningless things.

But to each his own.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I personally dont really look at the graphics for the forums, they are really of no interest to me, just the content IN the forum. I think it fits in with what the majority thinks is going to happen so to me its appropriate. I dont think its fear mongering at all. The members are smart enough to know what is and isnt fear mongering and what is and isnt going to happen. Everyone is allowed to think of their own 2012 scenario... Heck most people I know that arent even on ATS have no idea about 2012 let alone Nibiru or an asteroid hitting Earth. I personally dont believe in anything hitting us in 2012. The asteroid just fits with 2012 for most IMO.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

I totally agree with you and think the idea of the Mayan Calender would be far better.

anything as long as it didnt show doom,gloom, death and destruction

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Mr Green]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I do not really care what graphic they put on it.

Put a pic of a teddy bear and a box of chocolates. Does not make a difference at all.

If people here are gullible enough to be influenced so greatly by a silly unrealistic pic than I suppose they deserve to be so.

I however, am not affected either way by such meaningless things.

But to each his own.

My thoughts exactly. If only the star option were enabled here.

It's up to you what you think about 2012 or aliens etc. Though I can agree that some pictures are better than others, the asteroid thing is broadly acceptable, and ignored.

Simply a representation. Your thoughts are only influenced by your judgement, and your judgement common sense.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
OOH! Let's have a contest!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dmorgan

Good call.

Whilst some members question the validity of changing something that, in their opinion, serves little purpose, the graphic nevertheless is typically representative of most people's views and opinions in relation to the said topic. Somewhat like a colourful book cover designed to attract the lowest common denominator!

The doom / gloom graphic is yet another thorne in the side of those seeking clarity of information - and not a representation of clear thinking IMHO.

Better to call things by their proper name than pander to the masses' needs of cheap and nonsensical visual entertainment.

Deny ignorance anyone?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
I was watching Bob Dean speak at the recent Project Camelot conference, which inspired me to throw this idea out there. I'm sure many of the genuinely interested people on this forum have seen it already, but he basically says there will be no asteroid or Nibiru causing havoc in 2012, which is the truth.

No Bob Dean has his own date... between 2013 and 2017

Now, if you want to count from his birth, like we supposedly have been doing, add seven years to 2008. You end up with 2015. That’s pretty close to 20...

KC: Oh, so you’re saying we are actually in the year 2015 now.

BD: We’re in the year 2015 right now.

KC: Right. So that means that Nibiru... When you say it’s coming in 2020, it’s actually due in about five years.

BD: Probably.

KC: So, we’re looking at 2013 by our calendar.

BD: Well, no later than 2017 [smiles]. I’ll throw 2017 out.

KC: OK.

BD: And you can take that to the bank. [laughter] 2017

From Project Camelot interview
www.projectcamelot.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
Why not replace it with this for example, a picture of the Mayan calendar?

Since Nibiru is Sumerian and the Mayans never mentioned it that would be silly

Much better to use En-Ki as a symbol... Ruler of Nibiru

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
But then again, we also have Bible Codes which talk about a comet strike, between 2012 and 2014 (exact year eludes me right now). So, in that sense, the current icon fits perfectly.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I actually like the current graphic. I think it's a painting by David A. Hardy (The British master of space art).

It's just artwork though. Of coarse, noone knows what will happen in 2012. But I think it's a fabulous piece of artwork nonetheless. And just one possibility of many. Just statistically speaking though, we're probably more likely to be hit by an asteroid than some of the pretty far-out theories floating around.. So I think it makes sense.

-ChriS

new topics

top topics

join