It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ATS Influence Your Emotions?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
not reallyl... It influence my life in a certain way (i passed the last weekend reading a long thread, and i felt very great when i finished it), but since my english is not too good, i haven't made any thread yet because i could not express myself as i want in threads thatare, indeed, very important to me (I'm dieing fto make a Friendship Island and a Colbun Machicura threads, sadly there's not good information on english and blergh... I'm too lazy to translate everything and it doesn't being fully understood)

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Thank you all for replying to this. I appreciate greatly...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by notsosweet

I rarely get stars and I get very few replies. When I do get them and it appears to be from someone who's most likely a friend, than I feel obligated to give them one also or do when they reply.

I don't recall getting any stars in grade school.

Sometimes I think I get pity stars. ( singluar)

I get more stars for negative answers and I'm not proud of that.

I know I have issues and likely why I'm on disability.

No threads= No flags No muss, no fuss

I'm not really interested in popularity for attention like grandstanding.

There does seem to be a cult following or cliques with a few here. I guess thats another thread topic though

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

There does seem to be a cult following or cliques with a few here. I guess thats another thread topic though

Yes, that would probably be another thread topic. Not sure if its a can of worms I would want to open though.

There might be a few people that get pity stars as well, I'm not certain of that though.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Holy crap! It's like a yoda convention in here.

"Mmmhh.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Control your emotions you must. "

I call B.S.

The time and effort that people put into this site is huge. This can't be all the work of Buddhist monks and enlightened mental wizards who operate in an emotional vacuum.

I usually enjoy this site but sometimes it really pisses me off. The fact that many of our very accomplished high profile trolls spend a great deal of time trying to piss people off on their star and flag quest isn't lost on the rest of us. That's just part of the ATS deal.

The common sense members just go on to something else instead of giving the trolls what they want.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I have a previous thread- called "Cliquey suspicions", it raised a large response of stars and flags, though not sure in the right sense of it all....

In regards to your topic- Yes Ats does influence my emotions, why wouldn't anybody want some appreciation for their work. In fact my recent thread on (Mental Illness has no stars in the intro). Though I feel it was important to get my message across.

I think anywhere you go, you want to be treated with respect and that goes hand in hand with "Acceptance."

...To sum up- "Cliquey" -is the Word.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I come to ATS everyday while at work because I can, and have not much else to do, so for entertainment.

Emotional yes, yes and yes! Both good and bad.
Also many of my female friends here, also get emotional over issues.
Sorry ladies but its true, you have told me so.

I star people all the time because yes, I love a sar.
I flag peoples threads to be nice.

Words carry frequency so, I personally don't see how one can dismiss them and say it means nothing. People have feelings and when they are online and we don't really know the posters, its silly to get upset but a feeling is a feeling!

S&F for you OP.

Edited to add; I am responsible for my emotions.
Noone else is responsible for my feelings!

Peace!

[edit on 24-9-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Awww poor thing, not many stars and flags?

Here you can have some from me.

Hope that makes you feel better!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Thanks Cindymars, I appreciate you stopping by and replying.
Wasn't sure where this would go, but i've had a lot of great responses.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Well thanks for your generosity...
I appreciate you stopping by.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You may as well put me on your ignore list, since you have obviously ignored my post. Care to explain why? ...considering such an appropriate
topic> See this is the thing that goes on here at this site. Rather Hypocritical of you to start a thread like this and bypass my post- Just like that!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

Hey link your thread to mental illness. www.abovetopsecret.com...#
I will S&F it for you.

Like I said in your thread on cliques, I like them as long as I am included. LOL

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsosweet
Do you think humans have a NEED to get positive feedback from others about what we have done?

Absolutely. There have been studies proving that babies thrive when given positive attention and fail to thrive when that attention is withheld. Being adults (or teenagers) doesn't remove that need. Topic for a different thread though.

For example, let's say you write a thread on ATS. Does it make you feel good when somebody gives you a flag and star?

Of course. It's always nice to know that someone agrees or appreciates what I've posted. That doesn't mean that I'm crushed if I don't get any, though. I don't see a lack of flags and/or stars as negative. Sometimes a brilliant thread is posted when there just aren't that many people online and by the time more are it's been knocked off the front page. Sometimes a brilliant post is on page 5 of a 10 page thread and gets missed by those who just skip from the first to last page. Bad timing on a great thread or post doesn't mean the thread or post is bad, just that the timing is off.

Do a lot people on ATS NEED encouragement and positive feedback from other people to make them happy?

Speaking solely for myself, ATS isn't the sole source of feedback for me whether it's positive or negative. If I receive positive feedback here, that's great and it does momentarily make me smile. If I don't, my day isn't ruined by it. Nothing from ATS has ever carried over into the rest of my life simply because at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how heated a debate gets here it doesn't really affect my life in any way.

When YOU visit ATS and get involved in threads, do you do it to make yourself feel better, learn something, or to help someone else out? Do you do it to try and learn something new, or to try and share what YOU have learned with us?

I do it to learn and to share what I've learned. That's what's kept me coming back here for the last three years. There's always something new to learn about and discuss.

If you have a freind on ATS (Im looking for some more!) and you read their thread, do you star and flag it just becasue you are friends?

Not always. The people that are on my friend list are people that I agree with on some things and disagree with on others. If I agree with them or like their thread/post I'll star or flag it. If I don't, I won't. And if I disagree with them on a point, I'll tell them so. I'm the exact same way in real life as I am here. I'm opinionated and I'm not afraid to tell people what I think whether they're a friend or not.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Jenna]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

-Sorry I have not taught myself how to link vids & threads; (I know that sounds pretty dumbo)-but I'm still Learning...

You'll find it now in the index forum(it's only a few days old) or care to go to my profile page. (its called mental illness & daily life).

Thanks Cindy, I really appreciate your genuine input. -cheers!

To Be Back On Topic- I hope OP has a clear conscious and genuine motivation of the content of this subject, which would clearly focus on ALL "posters" Input.

**ALSO> in reply to Jenna, Great Post! I would have to say too that I certainly speak my mind: -An Assertive attitude is a Healthy attitude.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

Thanks for replying. I was just curious how this site and others affect us. I had never been on a site like this before, and I really do like it, I have learned quite a bit of stuff I never would've thought about.

I appreciate everyone replying to this, as it has given me lots of insight.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Ok, thanks for your reply, I wasn't sure at the time, it had me thinking. I suppose you could class this into a "classic case" of how emotions run by on the Internet. I'm sure everyone thinks and feels no matter where they are, it is a natural human by product.

Just to what extent really depends on the circumstances and the nature of the person. Imagine what a "shrink" goes through!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I actually star and flag every thread I read. And if I come across a thread that has no flags, ill flag just for the sake of it. Im just a too nice person.

When people respond to my thread, good or bad, does make me feel good someone took the time out to respond.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I starred and flagged you - not to make you happy - but because you asked some good questions

I wouldn't mind if it made you happy though :-)

Do you think humans have a NEED to get positive feedback from others about what we have done? How about negative feedback?

I think we all love positive feedback - especially if it comes from the right source - a source that's important to us

I think we all need negative feedback - and can prepare ourselves for it if we understand that we need it - but I don't think we ever really like it - if we're honest

we're doing real good if we accept it and don't resent it

...Do you think people just crave the attention that this system can provide for them?

here at ATS? I definitely think some people do crave the attention - maybe we all do to different degrees

maybe sometimes it's not so much about attention as it is interaction - some people are just naturally more social than others

It seems like lots and lots of people spend a long time on here and that it must make them happy, or they woudn't do it.

I spend a lot of time here - and sometimes it just pisses me off - you can't even imagine how much :-)

I don't always enjoy what I'm hearing - but I do appreciate the opportunity to hear it

When YOU visit ATS and get involved in threads, do you do it to make yourself feel better, learn something, or to help someone else out? Do you do it to try and learn something new, or to try and share what YOU have learned with us?

if I actually participate in a thread - it's usually for different reasons

some of them are just fun

some of them are fascinating - then I have questions...

some of them draw me in because I'm moved directly by strong emotions, beliefs or principals

If you have a freind on ATS (Im looking for some more!) and you read their thread, do you star and flag it just becasue you are friends?

sometimes - but usually I star/flag if it's something I think is important or unique in some way

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Are you kidding me! I want to put my boot through the monitor after a session on ATS!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
I come to ATS everyday while at work because I can, and have not much else to do, so for entertainment.

Emotional yes, yes and yes! Both good and bad.
Also many of my female friends here, also get emotional over issues.
Sorry ladies but its true, you have told me so.

I star people all the time because yes, I love a sar.
I flag peoples threads to be nice.

Words carry frequency so, I personally don't see how one can dismiss them and say it means nothing. People have feelings and when they are online and we don't really know the posters, its silly to get upset but a feeling is a feeling!

S&F for you OP.

Edited to add; I am responsible for my emotions.
Noone else is responsible for my feelings!

Peace!

Where exactly do you work for the government???

I don't let what I read on ATS affect me.

Everyone has opinions and I can understand why some feel that way.

I have read posts where I feel the person should be on medication but is not.

I feel for them because I know life can be tough.

I lurk more than I post and just see what people are saying.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join