It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather, southern Australia 21/9 and 22/9/09

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

hey thx for the pics, I was up for sunrise and thats how orange-red it was...cool hey? except the fact Im coughing like a cat getting rid of fur balls!
Great pics

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

hey awesome pictures man, but i wanna ask, does it smell like clay? because we in S.A got hit by some kind of smell that came with the rain and got in the house and it smelt like clay, we've had dust storms here before leaving red/orange residue where the rain puddles dry, but never anything like in your pictures, thats intense....

reminds me of the 'red weed' in war of the worlds....I wonder if this is a phase of bluebeam...preparing us for holographic aliens.....haha

or if it 'had' to be a manufactured thing, could it be that this dust cloud that will apparently travel around the world, has something in it that's bad for us? it'd be interesting to get like an analysis done or something...

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Cough splutter...OZ!!!! zazzy has dust in her eyes, and its even inside my office and home...YUK
Did you send this to us from SA?
Is this because of the footy final this weekend? 2 Victorian teams?
Go the saints!
Ill BBL there must at least 30 Armageddon in oz threads started by now

I warned you yesterday zazz didnt I

There are a few threads on this topic but we all know mine is the original

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison
reply to post by srsen

hey awesome pictures man, but i wanna ask, does it smell like clay? because we in S.A got hit by some kind of smell that came with the rain and got in the house and it smelt like clay, we've had dust storms here before leaving red/orange residue where the rain puddles dry, but never anything like in your pictures, thats intense....

I think the man base of the dirt out here is a clay type loam. When it rains out here at Woomera, the dirt becomes clay like, which makes it very easy for vehicles to become bogged. We did have a few showers while the dust storm was here, so Im assuming some of it got whipped up into the clouds. I do know the base of the cloud was at least 5000ft, due to my ceilometer reading, and the bottoms of the cloud did poke through occasionally

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Thanks man, was a crazy scene for sure. Cant say i really smelt like clay to b honest, more metallic if anything, dusty.

Funny, the last time i had to deal with dust like that was in the mosh pits for Killswitch Engage at a music festival in Sydney in 2007 - dust bowl central. Was covered in dust and yesterday i couldnt help but feel the same way haha

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

you were at soundwave!!!
I wish I could tell you how I know that

actually that was 2008...hmm maybe you were at another duststorm.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Hey OzWM,

I just want to say that you may not have got as many flags as the other guy, and yes you were the first to alert us to the oncoming dust storm and that discussion should have been directed to yours. BUT you have the credentials and the know and the respect of so many ATSers and you were mentioned in quite a few of the posts in the other thread. You are well regarded on this site so don't be feeling too put out by it. We all turn to you when major weather is going down so please don't disappear or anything. Keep up the excellent work PLEASE!

from a fellow weather nerd (in training)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Found some amazing pictures.

www.boston.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

haha yeah was Soundwave - you're right tho, 2008.

Man that was shocking - had dust in places i didnt know i had places!

BUt yeah, another storm hit this morning, but no-where near as bad. Windy as hell now - weird weather continues

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
reply to post by zazzafrazz

haha yeah was Soundwave - you're right tho, 2008.

Man that was shocking - had dust in places i didnt know i had places!

BUt yeah, another storm hit this morning, but no-where near as bad. Windy as hell now - weird weather continues

Yeah

All that dust actually originates just west of me in Woomera. We had a mild one yesterday again with this cold front. I actually did a 12 hour round trip to Adeliade early yesterday morning (at 130am), and the rain coming through there was phenomenal, however the wind was not as bad as last time, though stioll gusty.....too bad we only get dust in our rain gauge

[edit on 25/9/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I am dusty again

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I am dusty again

Then stay indoors

Grand finals on, good excuse for staying home.

Anyway, it wont be as bad as it was Im suspecting. The new system isnt as strong as the previous low pressure system. I know at Sydney airport they are not actually calling dust on their half hourly observations, so that would mean the visibility is over 8km's

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

had to come in from grand final BBQ to clean out my eyes like the bunny you cleaned the other day.
no where near as bad as weds, but Still hurts precious.

I blame you.

GO THE SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

GO THE SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARN SAINTERS

Looks like the cold front associated with this new system will be bringing rain to the MCG.....no dust though thank god

Now Im off to the pub

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Takka
I live near the riverland also , hmm it didn't seem like to big a deal to me.
We've had strong wind like last evening quite often , the downpour was nice though , a little rain never goes astray

Pity it was moving so fast , the whole thing was over pretty quickly , glad I wasn't driving in it though .

At the end of winter/ beginning of spring Southern Australia can have changeable weather, no one is really complaining about the rain, we have needed some for a while.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof-rabbit
At the end of winter/ beginning of spring Southern Australia can have changeable weather, no one is really complaining about the rain, we have needed some for a while.

Was a good downpour through the Adelaide hills on friday morning...I was driving through there....almost lost it on the wet road once or twice.

Then I got back here to Woomera and all we had was dust, lol

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
[edit on 27-9-2009 by OZtracized]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

You know, I'm so sick and tired of people like you al..........

Oh yeah...... that whinging thing.......

Actually all I was trying to say was " I'm hearing ya" but after objectively reading my post I can see how it may have come across that way!

I love the cold and really stuggle in the heat so I feel ripped off that my sweet sweet winter has been cut short. One could argue that I'm living in the wrong city but I've been here all my life and starting anew is just too much trouble for me (being inheriently lazy and all!)

[edit on 27-9-2009 by OZtracized]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join