It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video surveillance system that reasons like a human brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Video surveillance system that reasons like a human brain

www.net-security.org

BRS Labs announced a video-surveillance technology called Behavioral Analytics, which leverages cognitive reasoning, and processes visual data on a level similar to the human brain.

It is impossible for humans to monitor the tens of millions of cameras deployed throughout the world, a fact long recognized by the international security community. Security video is either used for forensic analysis after an incident has occurred
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.brslabs.com
www.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Spies Like Us: NSA to build huge facility in Utah

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Security video is used for forensic analysis after an incident has occurred

That is...until now!

If you want to monitor everyone in a country, you would normally need another country of equal size to monitor the first.

Now, with Behavioral Analytics, your government doesn't have to worry about that Payroll Expense eating away at their bottom line. It now all can be done with a single Data Center!

Oh, like the $1.6 Billion Dollar 1 Million Sq. Ft. (200 Acre) NSA Data Center being built outside of Salt Lake that uses more power than all of Google's Data Centers worldwide!

Does anyone know anything about BRS Labs? All I could find is that they were founded in July 2008. Are they Venture Capitalists with Vaporware, or do they have Government Contracts?

www.net-security.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-9-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Where are all the people that say that they have nothing to hide? Do they just accept this because it gives us more security? At what price? We won't ever go back to what it was like before 9-11 at this pace. 9-11 was the opening of the flood-gates to tyranny. I don't think newer generations will even know what freedom is. As for your other question- I don't know about the group. This is a scary invention.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
This is a very dangerous proposition.
At least when PEOPLE monitor surveilance, you are forcing the would-be "evil dude" into including more people in his evil conspiracy.

With this system, the machine will be a cold, calculated and inanimate co-conspirator that CANNOT blow any whistles.

Everything will follow the whim of the man programing the machine. I just hope he cares about justice, rather than power. But I know that is a fool's hope.

The beat cop won't know any better. In fact, the power is taken from the hands of the beat cop completely. Everything comes to him from orders from "higher up"... WAY higher up. So high up he cannot possibly question it, nor can his supervisors.

S&F

This needs awareness. People need to raise a fuss.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
The beat cop won't know any better. In fact, the power is taken from the hands of the beat cop completely. Everything comes to him from orders from "higher up"... WAY higher up. So high up he cannot possibly question it, nor can his supervisors.

And even before the advent of Big Brother, this was always the case. I've met some good Cops before (unlike Unicorns and Faeries they do really exist, albeit rare) who hate some of the things they have to do on the job because their hands are tied and the orders come from higher up (generally by way of CPS, or the District Attorney, or a Court Order). A good Cop knows when something is unfair, and at least when they are in such a situation they can testify on your behalf in Court.

However, we all know that a picture, or video tape, is worth a thousand words and is going to hold more weight than the testimony of the Arresting Officer.

And you sure as heck bet that the Police on a whole will stop doing "Police" work and just print off the daily Arrest Orders from the printer and assign them out and just follow what the Almighty Computer tells them to do, without research, verification, or consideration. It doesn't matter if that 89 year old woman was determined to be "suspicious" by the Behavioral Analytics or not, she is going to have her front-door bashed in by a fully armed S.W.A.T. Team with Kevlar Vests and Automatic Weapons because a CCTV caught her somewhere behaving in a "suspicious" manner (like knitting in the park, because that's not normal for the "average" human, and therefore must be a terrorist/criminal activity since the computer does not understand it).

It is scary because no computer system is flawless. It is scary because no computer system is exempt from abuse. It is scary because if our Law Enforcement becomes dependent upon it they will cease to think. It is scary because it assumes Guilt before being found Guilty in a Court of Law.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Where are all the people that say that they have nothing to hide? Do they just accept this because it gives us more security?

They dont ask the people. If they want our opinion, they will give it to us.

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
We won't ever go back to what it was like before 9-11 at this pace. 9-11 was the opening of the flood-gates to tyranny.

It was planned to be the new Pearl Harbor for this specific purpose. Check this out.

Game, set and match.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Apparently BRS Labs is not the only one in the industry developing this kind of tech!

EU Funding 'Orwellian' A.I. Plan to Monitor Public for "Abnormal Behavior"

Its main objectives include the "automatic detection of threats and abnormal behaviour or violence".

EU-funded research project, called Adabts – the Automatic Detection of Abnormal Behaviour and Threats in crowded Spaces – is seeking to develop models of "suspicious behaviour" so these can be automatically detected using CCTV and other surveillance methods. The system would analyse the pitch of people's voices, the way their bodies move and track individuals within crowds.

Profiling and targeting individuals on a case-by-case basis is one despicable thing...but targeting everyone in your own country and having them under constant surveillance and behavior analysis is so far over the line that I can't believe that anyone would allow this to be used!

I thought it was just the U.K. and the U.S., but apparently everyone is jumping on the bandwagon.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

You must have thought 1984 was fiction.

Even though I prefer the name Oceania to bin Laden and Al Queda myself.

new topics

top topics

join