It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US racism is "everywhere" says Dave Matthews

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Interesting interview on the CNN web site with musician/bandleader Dave Matthews. Here is an excerpt:

CNN: President Carter said he thinks that a lot of the animosity directed toward President Obama is race related.

Dave Matthews: Of course it is! I found there's a fairly blatant racism in America that's already there, and I don't think I noticed it when I lived here as a kid. But when I went back to South Africa, and then it's sort of thrust in your face, and then came back here -- I just see it everywhere. There's a good population of people in this country that are terrified of the president only because he's black, even if they don't say it. And I think a lot of them, behind closed doors, do say it.

Maybe I'm paranoid about it, but I don't think someone who disagreed as strongly as they do with Obama -- if it was Clinton -- would have stood up and screamed at him during his speech. (Shakes his head) I don't think so.

Full article:

www.cnn.com...

I tend to think that Dave, having lived in the Republic of South Africa, has a keen sense for this issue.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Nichiren]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
what circles of people does he run with? I mean, really. I put no more stock in what he says than any other person as far removed from everyday society.
He campaigned for Obama, now those mean conservatives are after him, how dare people hold him accountable. I think most of the racism pertaining to our president anyway, is manufactured, now, who gains from calling conservatives racists?...........hmm

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I don't care what Dave Matthews says any more than I care what the next person says.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
This is all people like Dave have to fall back on. They don't have any good arguments to defend their messiah, so they play the race card. Ironically its Obama's supporters who see only the color of his skin.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

But what if they disagreed with former President Bush?

Is it "okay" to openly Boo him, paint him as a Nazi, make fun of his chosen Sobriety....

And why is it that celebrities only have credibility when they attack the right?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think he needs to focus on & stick to his music and Leave the politics to the criminals. Why does everyone want to be a hero?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
Ironically its Obama's supporters who see only the color of his skin.

Irony at it's best or should I say worst.

Last week the President said that he did not believe that people who were critical of him were because of his skin color. I think the President was right on the mark with that statement. It's just unfortunate that so many of his followers can't seem to get over their hatred.

Liberals are starting to resemble modern day McCarthyism.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Last week the President said that he did not believe that people who were critical of him were because of his skin color. I think the President was right on the mark with that statement. It's just unfortunate that so many of his followers can't seem to get over their hatred.

His response seemed more of a token gesture to me. He knows as well as we do that the media will continue acting as his surrogates. Otherwise he would call out the media organizations by name, like he constantly does Fox.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

This is all people like Dave have to fall back on. They don't have any good arguments to defend their messiah, so they play the race card. Ironically its Obama's supporters who see only the color of his skin.

Exactly, because they are unable to dispute the troubling facts about Obama, his administration and their collective agenda.

Dave needs to get off the bong and stop listening to Jimmy Carter. Maybe he will find his career in the dumps along with the Dixie Chicks. Oh Wait! It already is
I think he is just wrapping up his County Fair tour.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin

Liberals are starting to resemble modern day McCarthyism.

They are way past that point. I have not seen one who did not have the first words out of their mouth being racist complaints.
Sadly this has destroyed any legitimate complaint about racism for another 50 years. But then 99% of the cry's of being racist are from either media or actors. And none of them have a clue about what normal folks go tru each day.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Just a point I'd like to make, many of Obama detractors do not mention his race/colour when taking him to issue over his health care reforms, false promises, being a puppet etc etc.

It's his supporters who say "oh clearly racial prejudice is behind these criticisms" and bring race up because it distracts from debate and forces people on the defensive.

Maybe their getting worried that he is no different from other politicians.

top topics

join