It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the banks collapse, will you be able to handle it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I just wanted to throw this out to everyone. I believe it needs to be discussed and solutions come up with to help people through it.

I believe I could handle it well. I have been looking into buying up gold with what little money I do have. To me, it would be a good thing to fall back on when the dollar does go under. Right now, we have trillions of dollars that have been printed and very little of it is worth anything. Gold on the other hand hold its value pretty well, and has never hit rock bottom. I have a feeling that if and when the Fed faces an audit, they will fold like yesterdays newspaper. They will not want to face the American people, or even people from other countries that use the dollar as the reserve money. They will jump ship like thousands of rats who are afraid to face up to what they have been pulling on us from the day they were founded.

I say gold is one good way of getting through it. What is your take on this?

[edit on 21-9-2009 by FiatLux]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I'll stick with gun powder & silver for low melting point, value/ammo works for both!
I'm counting on the banks failing, don't get me wrong I do not wish it!
I just don't see anyway out of it, maybe 2 days, maybe 20 years dunno?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I`m like you, I don`t want it to happen. But from the looks of things, it could happen at any time. I have a bad feeling that China is going to call in our debt to them, if not, an audit of the Fed will bring it all down. I look for things to start going under from October thru December.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If we're talking total collapse of the financial system then we are going to need more than gold and silver and firearms, my friends. In the case of an epic, unheard of, devastating bottoming out of our financial system then small communities are where our survival will lie. People have mentioned community gardens, communal hunting, etc. Survival will require the complete and honest support and efforts of each and every community as a whole. If you are able to kill a deer, then meat should be shared among those in your vicinity, in hopes that they can help provide other goods and necessities.
TBH, I don't wish this scenario on anyone, as it would inevitably mean the loss of millions of lives. The only bright side I see is that I might get to live out my fantasy of tribal living in a loin cloth (at least in the warm months).

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by VirginiaGreen
If we're talking total collapse of the financial system then we are going to need more than gold and silver and firearms, my friends. In the case of an epic, unheard of, devastating bottoming out of our financial system then small communities are where our survival will lie. People have mentioned community gardens, communal hunting, etc. Survival will require the complete and honest support and efforts of each and every community as a whole. If you are able to kill a deer, then meat should be shared among those in your vicinity, in hopes that they can help provide other goods and necessities.
TBH, I don't wish this scenario on anyone, as it would inevitably mean the loss of millions of lives. The only bright side I see is that I might get to live out my fantasy of tribal living in a loin cloth (at least in the warm months).

Good point about the community gardens, and the sharing of all things needed to survive.

On a good note, I have a feeling things may not be bad for very long. Just a gut feeling I have says that there may be plans in the works to reset our money system should this old one fall apart.

Come on people, more thoughts are needed on this subject.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Being a college student, knowing nothing about living off the land (if it ever came to that), I can honestly say no. But "this things happen" and I usually roll with the punches.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
Being a college student, knowing nothing about living off the land (if it ever came to that), I can honestly say no. But "this things happen" and I usually roll with the punches.

You see, this is why our education systems are worthless. They say they train you for the future, HA, not on your life. Do they teach you how to get through a total bank collapse? No, not hardly. Do they teach you how to survive on a day to day basis without the use of money? Why should they? They don`t have anything to worry about, they have enough food and water stored up to last them till they day they die. You my friend, are left to your own devises to survive with.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

For the twentieth time, you cannot eat gold, you cannot drink gold, you cannot wear gold or use it to power your home.

If the banks completely collapse, what use is gold going to serve, other than make you a target for criminals?

People need to do a couple of things...

1. Realise that money is not valuable. Material wealth is an illusion, none of it will mean anything if you are no longer breathing. People need to get out of the mindset of holding wealth above all else. The truly important things in life are family, friends, love, happiness. Get used to the idea of all your financial wealth and ownership evaporating overnight. Most of it doesn't exist anyway. You'd know this if you knew anything about the banking industry.

2. Use some of the money you have to guarantee your survival in the way of food, water and community. Spend some money on being more self-sufficient in the long-term. Form alliances in your community with like-minded people.

Unless people accept that money and wealth are imaginary, they will not survive in this crisis if it does reach such a point. They'll be the ones rioting in the streets and fighting over scraps from a looted Walmart.

Imagine if all the cash machines in your city stopped working tomorrow. Imagine if all your credit cards were cancelled.

Gold will not help you. A garden will, a community of people willing to share resources and protection will, solar and wind produced energy will.

And if nothing happens, at least you've invested in self-sufficiency. And it will most certainly save you money over the years if everything does continue as normal.

Personally, I don't think it will get that bad. But if it does, this fantasy of somehow holding on to your money by hoarding gold is laughable.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I sure will, as we keep no money in a bank. I learned that long ago. Banks are untrustworthy, I'll take my chances with cash. Just hope this won't screw up the food stamps but if it does, hey I still know how to grow my own food and fishing is fun. LOL.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

If the banks fail, cash and foodstamps fail with them!!

Since I have NO MONEY, it won't affect me much. I am stocked up for at least 6 months of food, so that should be plenty of time to see what the next course of action will be!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by FiatLux

For the twentieth time, you cannot eat gold, you cannot drink gold, you cannot wear gold or use it to power your home.

If the banks completely collapse, what use is gold going to serve, other than make you a target for criminals?

People need to do a couple of things...

1. Realise that money is not valuable. Material wealth is an illusion, none of it will mean anything if you are no longer breathing. People need to get out of the mindset of holding wealth above all else. The truly important things in life are family, friends, love, happiness. Get used to the idea of all your financial wealth and ownership evaporating overnight. Most of it doesn't exist anyway. You'd know this if you knew anything about the banking industry.

2. Use some of the money you have to guarantee your survival in the way of food, water and community. Spend some money on being more self-sufficient in the long-term. Form alliances in your community with like-minded people.

Unless people accept that money and wealth are imaginary, they will not survive in this crisis if it does reach such a point. They'll be the ones rioting in the streets and fighting over scraps from a looted Walmart.

Imagine if all the cash machines in your city stopped working tomorrow. Imagine if all your credit cards were cancelled.

Gold will not help you. A garden will, a community of people willing to share resources and protection will, solar and wind produced energy will.

And if nothing happens, at least you've invested in self-sufficiency. And it will most certainly save you money over the years if everything does continue as normal.

Personally, I don't think it will get that bad. But if it does, this fantasy of somehow holding on to your money by hoarding gold is laughable.

Understand, I didn`t say my answer was the right answer. I just threw it out there for discussion. And yes, I understand that material wealth is an illusion, just like all things around us is an illusion. That is why I said that this needs to be discussed, before things hit the fan.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

I have been looking into buying up gold with what little money I do have. To me, it would be a good thing to fall back on when the dollar does go under.

What is the functional value of Gold? Why would anyone Barter for it? What is its modern purpose or usefulness that makes it a "precious metal?"

That is not a trick question, and it is not intended solely for you, but I don't think buying Gold is a good idea!! Buy Food, Liquor, Blankets, Seeds, Bullets, Tools, Knives, Medicines, etc.!

The commodity market for Gold is Jewelry and Electronics. Neither of those will be a market in a SitX scenario, so Gold will have no value!! In Ages Past it was valuable for its alloy properties, but we are far beyond the "Bronze Age" so it won't be very useful for that!

When TSHTF, and the Banks Fail, and the Dollar Crashes, and China is in drought and turmoil, and Russia is sealing its borders, and Europe is eating itself alive with inner strife, and Africa is starving without outside intervention, and the US is head over heels in revolution, then it will be pretty obvious what has "functional or actual" value and what doesn't!!

Visit the Survival Forum, and put your money where it will do the most good!!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Good point. Something very interesting to think about. Thanks for the responce.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by ldyserenity

If the banks fail, cash and foodstamps fail with them!!

Since I have NO MONEY, it won't affect me much. I am stocked up for at least 6 months of food, so that should be plenty of time to see what the next course of action will be!

Well when I can't spend it any more, at least it will make for good fire starting right...It is paper, the coins are good to melt and use for other things like hooks for fishing if you run out.Especially since the coins aren't made of real silver or gold anymore.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Buy gold and silver after you have bought plenty of lead and brass

Beans, bullets and band aids will get you through an economic collapse until some semblance of an economy emerges.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I gather most of you are ready if anything does happen. Well, that is the reason I started this topic, it is for those who feel that they are ready and can share what it was that they did to ready themselves.

I always read topics about the bad times to come, but not a whole lot about things to do so we can be ready to live on after the bad times hit us.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

On a good note, I have a feeling things may not be bad for very long. Just a gut feeling I have says that there may be plans in the works to reset our money system should this old one fall apart.

None of this is happenstance.

It has been blueprinted, planned, and orchestrated.

They are following a course and a time line.
The best thing we can do to foil their plans is to NOT react as expected.
But we need to see the bigger picture in order to plan that direction.

"The last official act of any government is to loot the nation."

They will come for you first.
Then they will come back and take all of your supplies.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Alethea]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If the banks collapse it could be a good thing in the long run, because the system is rotten to the core. Where personally integrity is judged by a 3 digit number instead of the merits of that individual person. However, if they do collapse, chaos will ensue. Riots in the streets, damage to property, law enforcement abandoning their duties for lack of pay and to defend their loved ones, possible military response, criminals seizing the moment in the confusion, food shortages, hospitals and medical centers closing, communications cut, and other social calamities.

If I were to prepare, I would learn basic survival skills: hunting, tracking game, curing meat, water purification, how to make a decent shelter, scavenging skills, learn basic first aid, stockpiling barter items like cigarettes, booze, can goods, sweets, medicines, and other items of demand, learn how to use hand to hand weapons, because lets face it, ammo will run out and expect disarmament measures by whatever authority takes command. Those are some of the preparations I would think of off the top of my head. Who knows how long the chaos will last months or even years, and many will die as a result, but hopefully; out of the ashes pure and unfettered economic equality is born. We can all dream, right?

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
reply to post by FiatLux

You can wear gold. But its really heavy!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

Originally posted by DevilJin

You see, this is why our education systems are worthless. They say they train you for the future, HA, not on your life. Do they teach you how to get through a total bank collapse? No, not hardly. Do they teach you how to survive on a day to day basis without the use of money? Why should they? They don`t have anything to worry about, they have enough food and water stored up to last them till they day they die. You my friend, are left to your own devises to survive with.

No, the schools tend to train you to work for someone else. I recall when I was in school the teacher got a stack of job applications for McDonalds and taught us how to fill them out. I was in the 6th or 7th grade at the time.

new topics

top topics

join