It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point Blank: Is there a God, why and why not?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
No. There is no God sitting on a throne, like so many believe. God is Spirit and the thread of life that permeates all things in creation. Better question, what kind of a God do you believe in?

Jesus did not come to create a church or promote a priest class, he came to demonstrate who and what we really are and to undestand the power within us.

I am not waiting for Jesus to come back as much as he is waiting for me to catch up .

He said "all these things I do ye shall do also and greater things," He also told us to follow him and we know that when we follow someone we end up where they are.

When i died, I stood before a "being" an energy a Spiritual source of power and I felt my individuality while feeling connected and at one.
This very life we have flowing through us is God.

Geometry of Divinity is what the acronym GOD stands for.

There is definetly a power that permeates us and is the Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent substance, life and intelligence that we live within.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Psycontagious

In The Divine Comedy by Dante there is a special place in hell for people who don't believe in God but are otherwise good people. It's as being a place that's not all that bad, It's a castle surrounded by fields. The only punishement is knowing you were wrong about God. You should read it sometime, it's interesting.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yes, Virginia,... there is a God. He is real. His word speaks on every subject, sometimesw vaguely, but speaks of it never the less. Dinosuars...Behemoth in Job. The stars and the fact that the Earth orbits the Sun...Genesis. Life... did you know that the human embryo goes through every stage of developement in the same order as the creation story of genesis. Archeologists keep finding the ruins and remains of places and events listed in the Bible.
I could continue...here is why I know there is a God.
We have a farm, a small kitten is all that was left after a car ran over a mother cat and her small, almost newborn kittens. My wife and I took this small tiny suvivor and raised her to maturity. She next went into season, and eventually gave birth to a small litter of kittens. She was the best mom to those kittens ... feeding them, cleaning them, and raising them. she never had that from her mother... we didn't teach her those things. Nature...? We felt it was God, and we could tell you more than a few other stories like that. Quaint, maybe... but we see God everywhere. For some reason, we also see more peace, not quite so angry or sharp.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Most people have the wrong idea about hell, hell is actually the grave.
This link will clear up the confusion. resurrectionhope.xanga.com...

"And the sea gave up the dead which were in it;
and death and hell [Hades] delivered up the dead
which were in them:
and they were judged every man
according to their works.
And death and hell [Hades] were cast
into the lake of fire.
This is the second death."
-(Revelation 20:13, 14)

Hell, or the grave,
delivered up the dead that was in it.
Hell was cast into the lake of fire.
It is generally supposed that "the lake of fire" is hell,
but here we see that hell was cast into
the lake of fire to be destroyed.
The Lord says that He will destroy death
and hell (the grave) in "the lake of fire,"
which is called the "second death."
The 'second death' is a permanent place -
of "non - existence" from which there is no return.

God gives people the chance to receive eternal life, or eternal destruction.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by peaceonearth

Yup. Nail on the head.

And still again, anyone who is questioning all this stuff need only read Job.

IT's all there.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Limbo.

Technically the first level of Hell, but lacks of the "ironic" punishments of the other levels. It's also the level from which his guide, Virgil, belonged. I agree that it's an excellent story, but as it's a Epic (like the Odyssey and Paradise Lost) it's written as a poem, and it may be hard to follow for some people. I would suggest a Cliff Notes or computer with Internet access close by as well, since he drops many, many names which are obscure to most people these days.

Heh... I gotta say... I was amazed by how many Popes Dante sent to hell.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
There isn't any proof that there is a God of any kind.

There also isn't any proof that there isn't a God of any kind.

Those who do believe in God do so simply by belief, they can't offer any proof at all. They simply say that you have to have faith.

Those who don't believe in God do so simply by belief, they can't offer any proof at all. They simply say he is imaginary.

The fact is that at this moment nobody knows the answer to that question until they die. Anyone who says they know for sure is looking for followers by spreading unreliable propaganda.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

There's plenty of proof for the existence of God.

You're just lazy.

I would say blind, but you have this amazing ability to read.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
the great yogis of India say that God can only be known or experienced through intuition, never the intellect

the intuitive experience can come through God's grace; intuition can be developed through deep calmness in meditation

all the atheists should at least admit that there is an awesome intelligence in nature: does anyone digest their own food, run the mitochondria, or fire the neurons in their own brain?

and if God is great enough to create this vast and complicated universe, He is also quite able to hide himself from us

[edit on 22-9-2009 by brygivrob]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
reply to post by jd140

You're just lazy.

There is?

Please provide your irrefutable proof for me.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The Bible warns us of being "of" this world. God says to be 'in' the world but not 'of' it.

The ones giving the 'don't believe it' messages, sadly, are people "of" this world. They have apparently chosen to buy into the mass majority's claim that there is no God.

Typical mankind - he can do for himself, thank you.

The Bible has scientifically proven its authenticity by numerousssss means - this is only one.

Link

Don't let satan, and his followers, carry you on into the gates of hell with them.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I am sorry to inform you,the qu'ran is not the inpired word of God. The qu'ran IS the inpired word of a man!

Just like the bibles then, some scary inspiration there dude.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Now we know why mankind was expelled from Eden.
Rejecting God is called backsliding. obviously ,someone has
created the universe.endless and spectacular.
And on every millionth blue dot planet,there is most certainly
humans,just like us....but none of this is an accident.
man was created in God's image,so God looks like us.
He came as a man,but didn't stand a chance.JESUS
He also cares a lot about people , but we have left our first love.
the blinkers are on this race.
However ,all is not lost, HE''''''''s going to try again.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Is there a god, why and why not?

Yes and no and my answer is false and true.

There is and is not a god because if there were a god, then god would not include there not being a god and all would be incomplete. God exists and doesn't.

It's really that simple.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I don't think we as humans are really equipped to argue this point one way or another. We don't know enough. Nothing is concrete...it's all theoretical and involves huge leaps of both faith and logic. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. No amount of discussion, debate, or arguing is ever going to come to any kind of resolution on this matter.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I don't think we as humans are really equipped to argue this point one way or another. We don't know enough. Nothing is concrete...it's all theoretical and involves huge leaps of both faith and logic. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. No amount of discussion, debate, or arguing is ever going to come to any kind of resolution on this matter.

That's because it's greater than any system of axioms we have created at this point and they don't account for they're own relative creator. They cannot account for us (their god) without entering assumptions.

Much like god and us, we give them life and meaning and perhaps in some ultimate, infinitely reaching way, the will prove our own ultimate existence.

[edit on 9/22/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Is there a god, why and why not?

In my opinion there must be a source that we call God.

Here is why:

If you ask your self this question: In the beginning there was nothing!

Well if there was nothing to begin with how can anything come to "be" or come to "existence" ?
Nothingness can't create/evolve or do anything On its own. There would have had to been a external source of some kind in the picture to make things happen. But nothing and a external source can have co existed as a beginning.

Nothingness cant have been the beginning. Because if there was nothing to begin with. Not even God (a external source) would have existed. And we would not have existed either.

So in the beginning there must have been a source of some kind that is the reason for everything that is existing and evolving. And we call this source for God.

But what is the source?

I think we all miss interpret what that source is. But we have so far given the source a name "God". And the name God is all we know about the source.

We are given many leads but our education and way of life sort of screws up the leads.

If you dont believe in a God you probably believe that your judgment and education is flawless and without mistakes.

In other words we don't really understand our own knowledge or our own education. But we still base our judgment on it.

We dont know squat about what a source is. But we always ask for sources.
God is a source but we dont focus on the source we only focus on the name that we have given the source.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

You had me until you said "If you dont believe in a God you probably believe that your judgment and education is flawless and without mistakes. "

I'm pretty sure there is no God, but I definitely do not believe that my education or judgment is even greater than most people, let alone flawless.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Why is it so hard for some to accept that at least there might be something that governs all of us and that gave shape to us directly or indirectly. If there are imortal Jellyfish.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

A potentially "immortal" jellyfish species that can age backward—the Benjamin Button of the deep—is silently invading the world's oceans, swarm by swarm, a recent study says.

So if in our oceans there are things that can live forever, what might be out there in the universe, so not to convince me but to convince you what are the possibilities that there is something that has no beginning and has no end. I think those that refuse to think that there is a possibility for a god have something against Christianity and are like wild dogs when they hear about god simply to bash religion.

[edit on 22-9-2009 by pepsi78]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
reply to post by jd140

You're just lazy.

There is?

Please provide your irrefutable proof for me.

Still on with the laziness!! Gotta have others point it out to ya.

Give it a rest and stop lying to yourself.

Anyone who is intelligent enough to know that you cannot disprove God should be intelligent enough to realize that there IS A GOD!

What is it with people on ATS suffering from the inability to compute logic lately? I've been reading for years and years and I think the group mindset has gotten a little dimmer... that's sad, considering I'm only 25.

But if LOGIC ain't enough fer'ye, then why don't you try developing a machine that can create a VOID (you DO know what a "void" is, right...?) and then have that same machine programmed ITSELF to program ENERGY into this VOID using NO external energy or materials. As if that didn't cause enough of an overload, why don't you try having it to add chaos to the ensuing order which was about to unfold!

(SLAP)

Or we could just assume that it was all a fluke of...what? What else could have happened...?
Oh.. Wait... NOTHING. Nothing is the ONLY OTHER OPTION FROM EXISTENCE.

(SLAP)

This thread was doomed from the get-go.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join