It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could give one ITEM to someone 3,000 years ago?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I would send a Wright Glider with a picture of it in use.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The trick is to NOT give them a piece of technology from Today, but rather something that we still use today that is simple enought to be used and replicated.

I'm a fan of the Atlas idea since who knows how things could have been different with a greater understanding of geography.

For a tangible item, I would give the people of 3000 years ago a screw. It is the simple machine they were furthest from developing, but radically useful. As a construction tool it allows for assembly and disassembly and therefore portability while also being stronger than a nail and expanding the boundries of wood construction.

I'm not sure what the butterfly effect would be on such a thing, but it could theoretically lead us to be about 1500 years ahead of where we are on construction and architecture.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
solar powered self charging tazer

I think laughter is and always will be an universal language..
I got this idea from ppl messing with things on my desk @ work until I started leaving charged capicitors on my desk and in the drawers.
I had a tough time explaining that to the boss when it was replayed on security monitor, mostly because niether of us could keep a straight face.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by platipus

No, there were many and varied civilizations. Some were more advanced than others. My point was that the item to take back would have to be directed at the civilization to which one was headed. From what we know of history (actually very little in reality) we must assume that reaction to any item would be varied dependent on location. Simple iron age settlements would not compare to the more advanced civilizations in China, Greece, Egypt etc.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Who can say that you wouldn't bring back some crazy disease and wipe out modern man? What if your interference meant that time travel was never discovered? Would you be stuck, would you die, or would the cosmos just null and void everything? You never would have went, so you couldn't have interfered, so would nothing actually change?

Oh well I think I would just travel back in time, tell Plato I enjoy his work and come home. Maybe I would hand him a copy of "Ideas of The Great Philosophers." If things got messed up too bad I would just hop back and leave a note telling myself not to do it.

Okay so that is more like 2500 years instead of 3000.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by MikeNice81]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I would give them Newtons Principia (translated into their langauge of course.)

This would have jump started technology and invention.
Maybe today we would finally have those flying cars we all dreamed about when we were kids.

The downside is that there is a good possibility that we would have blown ourselves up 2000 years ago.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I would send or leave a Huge metal Monolith, that states on each side

" The only way to talk to and be with God, is through your hearts "

Hopefully that will cut out the whole dark ages altogether, and end the retarded religious wars...

either that or a Hit-list for the next 3,000 years.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a pen and a cpl of pappers to writh some stuff on instead of scratching it into a stone, that would probably save them like 1000h every time they wanna writh somthing down...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I would give a language reference/translation book for every language available today and those that were forgotten.

Aside from that, send them a bong with some seeds so they can relax and stop worrying about war and other cruel stuff thats going to happen in this world... but then again the indians and probably the asians already had that so I go back to the language reference book.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I would send one pair of Kevlar Boots with a simple note.

Achilles, WEAR THESE.

Imagine the impact!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The Paradox from doing this would probably be devistating... Might have a Nuclear war that destroys the earth...etc...

Who's to say that they weren't better off. They might have been more advanced than us now.

Don't fix what isn't broke I always say... If there was an option to do something like this... I would send nothing.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
How about showing them how to do modern banking. You know fractional reserve leveraged lending and such.

Maybe, just maybe we would have gotten over all that during the Dark Ages when life sucked anyways.

That would be a good way to piss off all the bankers and they would not even know it.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by j2000]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Hey Rebulican,

Cool thread, haven't read the rest yet but if i could give one item to someone how lived 3000 years ago i guess i would give him something that would inspire him and give him hope for what the future can bring....

Like for instance, a detailed satellite image of the earth. Or a good atlas.....that might come in handy. It would save a lot of wars with predefined borders!!!

Or a complete set of books on the subject: How to...

-how to make concrete
-how to do your own indoor plumbing
etc....

anyway i'm gonna read the rest of this thread now, Star and Flag!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'd send myself.

I have knowledge that'd help society get off their rumps, I'd be there to help in a personal manner, and I'd get the heck out of THIS timeline!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Solar powered mp3 player with David hasselhoffs greatest hits collection.I jest..would be great to see how that changes mankinds path though.

Probably a picture from hubble.I don't think that would change our path much.I wouldn't give them anything that would such as antibiotics,weapons etc

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I would give them an encyclopedia!

Either an encyclopedia or a fifth of crown royal. Not exactly sure which benefits mankind more....

Respectfully,
A2D

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

I wanted to say that! Instead I want them to have the periodical chart and maybe some Styrofoam to see if it lasts until our time.

End of Line......

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
One gun, one bullet and instruct them to put it to their temple and just get it over with quick. They don't wanna see what's coming.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I would give them a science textbook in their native language (assuming the can read).

I would then let their curiosity do the rest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join