If you could give one ITEM to someone 3,000 years ago?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I would send them an ecyclopedia on everything from ants to planets. Then maybe we today would of had a better understanding of everything.

Peace

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ineverknew
reply to post by Republican08

how about a history book, written of course in a language they could understand? it would be wonderfully interesting to them, I'm sure.

In a language they could understand a history book would be nothing more then....

Well you guessed it!

A prophecy book! And you would really be a god to them!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I did that already, I sent them a book.
Called it the Torah.

Sadly none of them knew how to read it.. Then they wanted to nail me to the wall when I asked if they could put me up for the night.

Seriously why would you send the suggested items back to them? No one back then could read, no electricity, no running water... maybe we should send the professor to them? No one even knows what they were really like, just what scientists claim they were like. And we know how accurate they are. Maybe they were better off and happier then we are now days?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Haha, got me thinkin on this 1 mate, an empty glass coke bottle comes to mind, just for a laugh. (gods must be crazy), its a movie....

i'll get back to you , S&F, puzzling thread

[edit on 21/9/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonsbreaths
I did that already, I sent them a book.
Called it the Torah.

Sadly none of them knew how to read it.. Then they wanted to nail me to the wall when I asked if they could put me up for the night.

Seriously why would you send the suggested items back to them? No one back then could read, no electricity, no running water... maybe we should send the professor to them? No one even knows what they were really like, just what scientists claim they were like. And we know how accurate they are. Maybe they were better off and happier then we are now days?

This is when myopic thinking stops, and far sighted begins.

What would be vital and most important to someone who couldn't read write or even heck listen, but could see!

Although happiness, is myopic at that!

Say I want happiness for me! Then what do I care for my childrens happiness, unless their happiness makes me happy!

Although If i'm going to die, and only think about me, well the screw them, it's all about me right!!!

For me, the importance of someones life, who died 100's of years ago from the plague is just as important as someones 1000's of years from now. Much have the same implications.

But were not all in a Gov't suit, just speculatory. Speculatory.

Just supposing, no real thing going on

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I wouldn't give them anything.

If I give them anything "good" it advances mankind and we'd run out of resources and go extinct before I could be born.

NOTHING

They get Nothing from me

I go back with a Gun fire it in the air tell them my Name is RA and that they need to bring me Virgins

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Sorry but I need to do this...

LMAO!!!

LOL.

Surely you would bring something back, I for one, don't mess around with virgins, not in the least bit, they disgust me for some reason.

Not even a bud light manuscript in their language, with .... well we'd all be alkys! by then!

Surely something, even a carl sagans video in their language

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I'd give them a set of instructions - maybe in book form - as to how best live their lives in peace and harmony, looking after each other, learning to understand their differences and working in balance with nature, and warning them of the dire consequences of not following such actions....

Oh ...wait...that sounds familiar...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonsbreaths

Seriously why would you send the suggested items back to them? No one back then could read, no electricity, no running water... maybe we should send the professor to them?

That's why I said send them a picture, a photograph. As far as I am aware one does not need to know how to read or write to look at an photograph......

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Atlas is a good idea, but it may have sparked more wars of conquest and spread human diseases to unprotected colonies of humans, snuffing out civilizations in their infancy (think about what happened to the Mayans when the Spanish showed up).

I say a detailed book of human anatomy sent back 3000 years ago would have paid some of the biggest dividends for human development.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
If I couldgoback to givethepeople something, it would be one HUGE box full of condoms. Very easy to figure out, even a caveman could do it.

We have too many people on this planet.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm actually surprised to see some of the answers.
I would send back... Nothing.
Why? Because I prefer not to undo my own existence.
By sending back anything at all, no matter how benign u may think it to be, you could unleash a chain of events that could prevent you or anyone you had ever known from being born.

I'll even give you an example that uses a couple of the items people mentioned, the compass, atlas, and dictionary. For this hypothetical situation it really doesn't matter which one as any of them could lead to the discovery of North America ahead of schedule.

Because some enterprising young explorer heard rumors of this item and got his hands on it, North America was discovered a full 600 years early. Things go even better this time than in our timeline because the new explorers and settlers become friends with the tribes of North America.

Yep things sure are looking good until words begins to spread to the tribes of South America that newcomers have befriended the northern tribes and are giving them gifts that could be used as weapons against them. Now the timeline has been altered in a way you did not forsee, because instead of the Mayan civilization going into a decline it causes them to spread to the north in search of resources and these new weapons.

Fast forward ahead 600 years to when Columbus was supposed to have landed here, and the first Mayan raiding parties are landing along the coast of England. After almost 500 years of friendly relations, trading, and military cooperation with the Japanese, along with the worldwide trade network they had formed, the Mayan military had been transformed into the most feared fighting force that the world had ever seen. With nearly unlimited funds and access to the finest weapons from all over the world they blend fighting techniques, weaponry, and tactics, combined with large doses of Cocaine before every battle to ensure overwhelming force that no enemy can match.

Fast forward another 600 years back to present times (roughly) and the mighty Mayan empire, instead of declining and disapearing into thin air as they had in our timeline, has now conquered the entire planet, every nation either completely overthrown or subjugated. Thanks to their religious ties to space and the stars they even made it to moon a whole 50 years ahead of us only they never stopped. Their fanatical astronomers demanded observatories on the far side of the moon, which were used to locate the first primitive civilizations outside of our solar system.

Yes it's a proud day as the first ships are now leaving earths orbit to subjugate these planets as well, afterall the Mayan gods still demand blood.
So thanks to you not only our own civilization as we know it, but countless others will be destroyed or subjugated to appease the never ending bloodthirst of the gods, and all because you thought it would be "neat" to send a compass or atlas or dictionary or some other item, back into time with the assumption that mankind would use it for good.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I would send a lens made of diamond.A simple lenticular magnifying glass which was unscratchable.Fire starting,close observation,curiosity factor.Simple,elegant and UFO shaped.Without the words,"Made in China"

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I'd probably fill up a Hummer or something with some stuff... but very little of it would be for them.

Maybe for them... some donuts, you know... training them can't all be about the shotgun

You need to reward them sure and I know they had nothing but terrible tasting junk, so i'd bring a few boxes of donuts, for the girls... maybe a few cartons of smokes too, donuts and smokes and booze... good booze, something really nice not like what they would be drinking which would amount to something that tasted like it was made with the left over lunch grapes in a buried jar in a modern day prison

I'm not just going to ask for their virgins and not show them what for them would be great time...

so sure...

I'd load up a car and take a trip to Walmart first

Picture the guy from Army of Darkness

I'm sorry but given an opportunity to go back in time... I can load up a station wagon and take over the world for sure, i'm not blowing that kind of opportunity trying to improve the world when no one will listen to what i have to say or understand it 10 minutes after I die anyway....

Morality is right out the window, send me back 3000 years i'm some group of primitives Pharoah by noon

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Actually, sending an item back in time wouldn't be possible under the current theories of time travel - being that the past is set and we cannot travel further back than the point in time that the time machine was invented.

Therefore, the assertion that one could change their own history could not happen - unless of course a time machine had been built in pre-history times that could be used as an anchor point to that time-frame.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I'd give them an AK-47 and lots of rounds, seriously though, I'd probably give a wind up torch, think where the human race would be now if we had wind up torches 3000 years ago

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I would give them Geography books in a language they could understand.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I would simply give them Knowledge, enough to show them the difference between being free, and being told your free.

I would also give them the Knowledge of medicine from plants, material things from today would be meaningless to them, electrical goods would be useless once the power supply was gone, a beer would be nowhere near as strong as what they where already drinking, and a Bible would be claiming prophecy.

So true unadulterated Knowledge they could work with and evolve would be my choice.

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join