It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you own stock in these 10 U.S. companies that are teetering toward bankruptcy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Do you own stock in these 10 U.S. companies that are teetering toward bankruptcy?

www.rumormillnews.com

Here is a list of 10 major U.S. companies that have market caps in excess of $3 billion that are experiencing financial difficulties and could be on the verge of filing for bankruptcy in the foreseeable future, according to a study by Audit Integrity, an independent financial research and risk modeling firm based in Los Angeles:

1. Hertz (HTZ)
2. Textron (TXT)
3. Sprint/Nextel (S)
4. Macy's (M)
5. Mylan (MYL)
6. Goodyear (GT)
7. CBS (CBS)
8. Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)
9. Las Vegas Sands (LVS)
10. Interpublic Group (IPG)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.businessinsider.com

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I've been kinda watching the news regarding the financial meltdown, and how Ben Bernanke says it is all good now. He's saying that while I've been seeing the number bank closures go from the 90's to the 100's, but don't worry because ole' uncle Ben says all is good

Now, that being said, don't count out 100 more countries being added to the list of 10; because it is coming! The govt. is lying to us because they are finishing off the last 'ittle little bit of wealth Our great grand children could have had. An example of this is the housing bubble; which is not anywhere close to being over, but just beginning.

Simply, I guess just prepare.

Peace, and Vigilance,

Sancho

www.rumormillnews.com

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Here's another source with the same link to business insider:
finance.yahoo.com...

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

This is sad. I don't understand how they're losing so much $$.

Does this mean that Intel will get a chance at monopolizing the CPU market once and for all??

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

I have to roll back into my "It's us common folk against them" roll as it simply blows me away.

I grew up in Austin, Texas. Imho one of the most corrupt NWO cities around. They built Computer Science Corporation, or CSC a bunch of buildings at taxpayer expense, and CSC backed out after completion........ Basically the buildings, and businesses there before, were forcibly evicted, and replaced with taxpayer funded rental units for the city
.... of course, it was never the city's fault...

Similarly they built an Intel building; which stopped at the topping out, or when the skeleton had reached the top floor. Intel supposedly went broke, and a few years(like several)later the city demolished the skeleton of a building that tax payers again paid for.

So, here We all are, Intel is still in business, and I think CSC is isn't it? Just ponzi schemes ahead of their time, is all

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
ad Sears to that list unfortunately. Also no one wants to admit it but GE has as much debt as anyone. If they weren't too big to fail they would have gone bankrupt years ago.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Someone will snap up companies like AMD and the like which are inherantly profiable but going through hard times. AMD currently lags behind Intel in the multi-core market, hence why it's fortunes have taken a turn for the worse.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Another troubling thing I see with this mass bailout of the "too big to fail" financial sector companies, is that not only did they use taxpayer bailout money to pay huge bonuses, but they also used the money to consolidate and even expand their business by acquisition of smaller banks.
So, too big to fail becomes even bigger. Surely, one would think that a breakup into smaller more manageable and better run banks would have been the order of the day, NOT putting more control into those that, through greed and mismanagement, caused the problem in the first place?

Best yet, all those who participated in (mis)managing the financial sector all collected big payouts and, for the most part, still kept their jobs.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Someone will snap up companies like AMD and the like which are inherantly profiable but going through hard times. AMD currently lags behind Intel in the multi-core market, hence why it's fortunes have taken a turn for the worse.

But what's really messed up is I know a lot of people that only buy Intel because Intel's fastest chip is faster than AMD's fastest chip, but then they don't buy the fastest Intel chip. Why? Cause they can't afford it.

So, what does it matter if their fastest chip is faster if they're not buying the fastest chip anyway?

Most of the time they buy the third or forth fastest Intel chip to save a buck, but they don't because they pay the Intel premium. Many times an AMD chip can be bought for the same price or cheaper and may well be faster than THAT Intel chip. Just not the Intel's FASTEST chip.

This has worked in reverse too. There was a year or two period where AMD had the fastest chip so I saw a lot of friends start running out and buying AMD. But they didn't actually buy THAT chip. They bought one of AMD's slower chips cause they couldn't afford the 500 Mhz lol. So, what did it matter who was the fastest? lol.

Anyway, the point is, it doesn't matter if Intel has the fastest chip if you don't buy the fastest chip.

AMD's top of the line processor may be slower than the Intel's "fastest" chip, but it could still very well be faster that Intel's second fastest chip or third fastest chip and since everyone hates AMD and loves Intel you can usually pick it up for a bargain.

It's like not like chip speeds go AMD, AMD, AMD, Intel, Intel, Intel. From slowest to fastest they go more something like AMD, Intel, AMD, Intel, AMD, Intel.

People don't get this though. Buy an i7 or buy AMD is what I say lol. Don't waste money when it's already out of date anyway lol.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by tinfoilman]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Thanks sancho, for keeping this heist of epic proportions fresh in our minds. I tell everyone around me that what the MSM, the Fed, Treasury, and other financial institutions are telling the American public is a complete and utter lie about the financial health of the country. I am no economist but I am not a fool either. I will tell them joblessness is still in the stratosphere and well above the government's figures, manufacturing is utterly gone, foreclosures continue, Trillions upon Trillions of debt for the bailout, and that alone should keep everyone on edge.

It's not over yet, far from it and the PTB know it. This grand theft continues under the radar of the American public and to our own peril. People tell me that the news says we are on the path of recovery and the recession is coming to a close. However, I tell them it's smoking mirrors and the one's responsible are in the process of saving their own skins on the backs of the American people. They spout off the doom and gloom motif when I bring it up. So I tell them when you are under the over pass and foraging through a dumpster for your next meal, hopefully you will remember what I said. So continue preparing if that is what needs to be done, and remain vigilant, because the party is only beginning.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Jack Zwingli, the author of the report, has actually created a list of 20 companies that have at least a 10% chance of bkcy within the next 12 months.
www.auditintegrity.com...

The worst may be yet to come.

jw

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

OK, don't want to derail the thread but your not really understanding the processor market there. Intel whips AMD across the board as they've had 45nM architecture for a long time, they tend to use less power, produce less heat and have all round better performance.

I used to have an AMD and wouldn't go Intel, but once the multi-core's came out, Intel was leagues ahead of AMD. AMD have been playing catchup and can only do now what Intel did 2 years ago. Put any quad core Intel against a Quad AMD and you'll see they nearly always come out on top, at worst they might be level in the budget range, but AMD never outdoes Intel in benchmarking.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

OK, don't want to derail the thread but your not really understanding the processor market there. Intel whips AMD across the board as they've had 45nM architecture for a long time, they tend to use less power, produce less heat and have all round better performance.

Okay and this is the problem. People don't understand.

I don't care that Intel's fastest chips are faster than AMD's fastest chips because I can't afford Intel's fastest chip.

For example right now where I am Intel quads are about $150.00 to
$200.00 depending, but I can get an AMD Phenom II for about $99 and that's not even on sale or an AMD high end X2 for about $70.

Yes Intel's fastest chip, such as the i7 975E is faster than that, but it's over $1000. I don't have $1000 to buy just a CPU so it doesn't matter that Intel's fastest chip is faster.

Put a $70 dollar Intel CPU next to the AMD quad because on sale I can get it for around $70 and then tell me who wins. Sometimes it's Intel, sometimes it's AMD. Depends on what was on sale that day. It's not always Intel that wins there.

It depends on the specific chips we're actually talking about. Don't talk to me about the $1000 i7 if you can't actually buy it which is what my friends do.

They talk up Intel like it's the greatest, but since we're poor they come home with a Celeron and then complain when my AMD runs faster. Well boo hoo lol. Should have gotten the i7. Oh couldn't afford it? Oh that's a shame.

Now if you have an unlimited gaming budget, yeah go ahead and buy and Intel.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Good post, star and flag of course.

One of the things a lot of ppl do not consider is what happens to the
suppliers and vendors of these companies when they default on their
massive debts ???

They move closer to the red zone as well.

If this gets enough momentum you get the domino effect.

It has been predicted that we will see more and more of this
due to the massively reduced buying by consumers.

Shipping around the world has reduced so much that over 1,000 ships
sit idle in two locations, Singapore and the Philippines.

The ATS story about that is called the Ghost Fleet of the Recession.

Prepare for what is coming or face the music when the REAL crash
comes in the not too distant future.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This is good. Less American companies the better. I hope foreigners can take their place or snap them up.

CBS nearing bankruptcy is hard to believe, though. But then again less David Letterman is fine by moi. I can't believe that unfunny old fart still has a show. Maybe then they'll finally prioritize Ferguson.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
These companies are not going bankrupt. Nothing but scare tactics and overstatements. The guy says they have a 10% chance of going bankrupt. That means they have a 90% chance they won't. By his math 1 of the ten will go bankrupt. That means 9 won't. You buy all ten you will most likely make a bunch of money on a couple, some money on a few and lose everything on one. Why do they always get it backwards. That right, so they can seperate you from your money.

It will be interesting to come back in a year and see how they did.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Well done for totally ignoring what I said to have your rant.

I said, if you re-read, that on single core AMD usually won out as they had the lead over Intel. Celerons were utter garbage and, back in the day of single core, I chose AMD over Intel all the time.

Now with multi core CPU's, you can stack any Intel against an AMD and, like for like, the Intel will win out, due to a significant lead in the smaller architecture. I'm not talking about i7's for crying out loud, as AMD doesn't even have anything that comes close, but any dual or quad core. AMD were fatally late into the 45nM and multi-core scene, hence why they are having a hard time now and Intel are enjoying a bumper year.

If your still buying single core CPU's then having a technical discussion with you about "which is the better chip" is really quite pointless.

And, in my opinion, if you're going to spend money on a computer, you might as well do it properly. Who the hell buys a Celeron these days? Or even a single core? Muppets, who are getting conned by the PC salesman and attracted by shiny signs saying "Awesome Deal: 2GB RAM and 19" Monitor", as if the monitor has any bearing on performance and with no mention of the crappy components that make up the rest of the PC.

I might be elitist, but if your going to do something, do it properly.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I apparently have helped foster a few Peoples nightmare's
You can also lend credit to the other two People who directly responded to me

reply to post by jdub297

I gotta say the amount of horrendous news is just amazing. It also double speaks too. I did a thread regarding unemployment numbers. My thread reflected the real unemployment of 24%+; many heavy duty analysts supported this number....... Next thing I knew We say I believe 16.7% reported as being official from some alphabet soup agency, and that was quickly followed by another announcement of something around 9.7%........ One of them was from the Fed, but what amazed me is the disinformation campaign. The real number is around 24%, but the govt., or shadow govt. distorted the numbers not once, but two times after the initial 24%.

Point is things are bad, and it is that much harder when weeding through planned out disinformation. The reason for it is simple; it discredits

reply to post by Ex_MislTech

You brought up an excellent point those boys down at Congress don't want mentioned too much. They are busy bailing out their buddies fake BK's, and at the same time leaving all the little support guys like You mentioned out in the proverbial rain

Yes, I personally don't see an end within the next decade...unless We are hit by an asteroid, or the boys demanding 2012 is real are correct
I guess this leaves me with kinda just a sad feeling for so many who are still ignorantly chugging along

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Who the hell buys a Celeron these days? Or even a single core? Muppets, who are getting conned by the PC salesman and attracted by shiny signs saying "Awesome Deal: 2GB RAM and 19" Monitor",

Core 2 Duo with about 512K cache are still being relabeled and sold as Celerons in stores today. You can get Dell 537's with them which is a somewhat new Dell model. My friend just bought one.

My AMD X2 desktop that I bought about two years ago at around the same price kills it. Now factor inflation in. My stuff is already outta date. Looking for new.

Another friend just got an Intel Quad 8400 for about $160. Just the CPU. The cheapest Phenoms can out do that for about $40 to $80 less. Even comes right up with the Q9000's in certain benchmarks which cost about $200 give or take.

What I was thinking about buying was the Phenom 965 BE and the only thing that topped those out overall were Core i7s, but they were way more expensive. To respond Intel has released new Core i5s at around the same price point. So I may end up with an Intel machine again.

It doesn't matter to me. Which ever is the best deal.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

www.rumormillnews.com

Here is a list of 10 major U.S. companies that have market caps in excess of $3 billion that are experiencing financial difficulties and could be on the verge of filing for bankruptcy in the foreseeable future, according to a study by Audit Integrity, an independent financial research and risk modeling firm based in Los Angeles:

1. Hertz (HTZ)
2. Textron (TXT)
3. Sprint/Nextel (S)
4. Macy's (M)
5. Mylan (MYL)
6. Goodyear (GT)
7. CBS (CBS)
9. Las Vegas Sands (LVS)
10. Interpublic Group (IPG)

Related News Links:
www.businessinsider.com

Mod Edit: Removed all caps title

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

4 Macys ---

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

i was in the USA over Jan last Christmas, just a few months after L Brothers went into meltdown.

I was expecting MASSIVE discount sales as was occurring in the UK as companies were doing everything possible to sell stock.

I went into some malls and couldn't find and decent bargains.

To be honest i was surprised at the complete lack of any retail discounting.

In the UK shops were having massive sales and doing everything possible t shift stock !

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'd hate to see Macy's and Sears go out.
CBS I couldn't care less as in recent years i've seen them spending as much time honoring their own and providing the same misinformation and propaganda as the other networks and cable channels (and Katie Couric is a terrible talking head).

Too bad about AMD, for whatever competition they gave Intel.

If I recall recently there was mention of Toys R Us having some major problems soon if the holiday season is disappointing. I think we all know what will happen this holiday season unfortunately.

Worst of all are the unknown thousands of small businesses that are collapsing on a regular basis - that's the real economy, not some corporation who employs a meager 50,000 workers.

new topics

top topics

join