It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas, THE HECK?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
So, I stop by Bad Astronomy today to see what Mr. Plait has up on his site.
And what's at the top?
One Backwards Leap for Texas

Now, I know that Neil Armstrong and the moon landing is something of a controversial subject on ATS.
But further checking into it reveals that there is also a bid to "reduce focus" on people like Heugo Chavez, Martin Luther King Junior, and Rosa Parks.

To be honest with you, if this was another country, except for the exclusion of Neil Armstrong, I could understand it.

These folks were major in American social history, something that's not as important if your living in Canada, Europe, or South America.

But America?

I'm more ambivalent to the education system than my friends. Yes, I feel it needs to be over hauled, but at the same time I don't usually feel that the limited things you're taught in school is problem. School helped introduce me to many of my favorite topics and hobbies, which I pursued outside of school.
Part of that lead me to ATS.

But... I also feel somethings are important to education, in order to get the ball rolling.

Now sure, these are just proposals... but how can this be proposed?

www.chicagotribune.com...
blog.taragana.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Oh wow! I am speechless!

What is the world coming to!?!?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

First of all, Neil Armstrong is NOT a scientist even if he did walk on the Moon. If he fell sick, I am sure they would of found another very eager astronaut to take his place. He should be lucky he did not catch a cold, which would of disqualified him.

I also do not like the jabs given to Intelligent Design, which has some valid points to be made.

Also, Bad Astronomy loves to debunk any sort of UFO reports. I guess he was their when they happened so he can tell us the real truth.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

First of all, Neil Armstrong is NOT a scientist even if he did walk on the Moon.

And that counts for removing him from the history books?
Most of the people who's names are in the books could have caught a cold at some moment and been replaced.

I also do not like the jabs given to Intelligent Design, which has some valid points to be made.

That is a matter of opinion, and one the changes based on personal religious faith.
Also, not relevant to my original point.

Bad Astronomy loves to debunk any sort of UFO reports

As does many member of ATS. It's a skeptical blog, that's a given.
Also, not relevant to my original post.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Benjamin Franklin?! WHAT! Wow this is a little much. These are all people I learned about in school as well and it also made me think more! Who do they deem worthy then?! Oh let me guess....nevermind Im not going there

:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hey Rune, Just as well we are taught in Australian schools about all histroical figures that have made an impact including these listed and others from all around the world,
we'll keep the lore for you guys

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This is probably due to the fact that Armstrong isn't a Texan.

You know how they get all sentimental about their home state heroes.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

First of all, it does not say history books but social studies books.

Second of all, you use the blog as your point, so what is in the blog is fair game. The blogger takes a swipe at Creationism, and is well known on his opinion of UFOs claiming astronomers never witness UFOs.

I do not think Neil Armstrong should be removed from any history books.

Anyone else could still make history with a cold. An astronaut will get grounded for the slightest sniffle. Einstein could still do his Relativity Theory and Tesla could still invent the radio with a cold and a fever. Mr Armstrong would of been taken off the Moon crew and replaced with another very eager member willing to make history.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

The fact is though he didn't get a cold, he made world history, he was a highly trained professional who went and accomplished something man has dreamed of for centuries. It was an unimaginable achievement, it changed societies outlook on things and showed us a prime example of what can be done.

If people were to take more time to educate younger generations about people who have achieved so much, maybe it would motivate them to try harder in school and achieve even bigger things in their life times.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

Deleted

[edit on 9/25/2009 by kidflash2008]

top topics

join