It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists make paralyzed rats walk again after spinal-cord injury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Scientists make paralyzed rats walk again after spinal-cord injury

www.physorg.com

UCLA researchers have discovered that a combination of drugs, electrical stimulation and regular exercise can enable paralyzed rats to walk and even run again while supporting their full weight on a treadmill.

Published Nov. 20 in the online edition of Nature Neuroscience, the findings suggest that the regeneration of severed nerve fibers is not required for paraplegic rats to learn to walk again. The finding may hold implications for human rehabilitation after spinal cord injuries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is a major break through in medicine. I being a paraplegic can only hope that human trials would begin on something this fantastic. It is stories like this that give me hope. If they can get this to work for walking I hope that they can get other functions of the body working too. The only thing is the FDA would take 10-15 before they would let anything like this get to market. It is that old adage. It is better to have a 1000 lbs of treating a problem than an once that can cure you. it is more profitable.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It is a major breakthrough. Not quite a cure exactly, but it's a very good step in the right direction. You're probably right about it being 10-15 years before it would be put to use on humans, but it's better to get it all worked out before hand so no one is unintentionally harmed by it. Especially when it's a combination of drugs and electric stimulation. (Am I right when I think that's just a nice way of saying repeated low volt electrocution?)

I never cease to be amazed by the things researchers are figuring out and solving.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I will send this immediately to my paraplegic friend in Switzerland. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Double post

[edit on 21-9-2009 by azureskys]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
My problem with all of this testing, is that the rats did not have a car accident or a foot ball injury or a war wound.
They are put into a deliberate paralytic state.
They were not on an injured list to start out with

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Hey OP this is amazing

I am just disappoint that adult stem cell trials failed so miserably recently.

But I hope science can actually take this and apply it to humans and change the world.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

I understand what you are saying. But it is the only way to test this out without endangering a human life. It may not simulate a true accident or things along those lines but it is a start. My heart goes out to all the rats hurt and killed for human advancement.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

I wish that the stem cells would have worked too. That would have been the miracle cure for people like me. But science will prevail It always does.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Seems harmless enough to start on humans. I recommend they move forward immediately. Humans are used to drugs, even like them, and a little electric jolt might get them moving in the right direction.

top topics

join