It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 53
6
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
IMHO it just reinforces my faith

i consider UFOs to be supernatural in origin, most likely demons
or fallen angels but perhaps some are Gods angles too

jmho




posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Clearly given the dearth of evidence there is no reason to believe in God, so I don't.

At the same time I have no hostility towards Christians in general, but I do keep a wary eye on those that seem to think that I should be treated as a sub-human because I don't believe the same way they do. My mother is a Christian, so is most of my family. My wife believes in God and says she's a Christian, but has never read the Bible, so I'm not sure what she bases that on, but that's her choice and I'm cool with it. I will not encourage my children to be christians anymore than I encourage them to believe in the Easter Bunny.

If I have a spiritual side, I suppose it is in a still forming idea that the Earth and all of its inhabitants are part of a single organism that is at some level interconnected and needs to be protected. Some call it the Gaia hypothesis, but while it is also hard to prove, there is much more evidence for it than for Christianity and an all seeing god. It may also be the only "faith" that will ultimately save us.

F-Dog



posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

And that is my question. Why? If God is an alien, then who created him? If there is no God, why do some choose to beleive that the human race was placed on earth by a bunch of reptiles from another galaxy? Who created the reptiles and their galaxy? there is certainly less "evidence" to support that notion than simply believing in God. At least there's the Bible to support that traditional belief.

Thanks!


Creator created Aliens and galaxy.

But again But........... but............ that Creator is not what you believe as god in religion. Your religion God was an alien who visited earth and fooled around primitive people.
Proof? No proof there, we can't go back time.

Simply believing God of religion spefically bible is a fool. It is just like believing alien, and believing alien fooling us.

Who create your god in bible?

ridiculous..............

IT IS NOT ABOUT believe in GOD or not believe in GOD.

It is about a fool believe religion God, bible God.


Everything must have a Creator, action reaction, origin. But our origins are not Jesus the jews. Jesus the jews don't even know how to create a single grain of sands. How did he created galaxy?



Thin outside the ring.



posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I find some of you ask questions and expect correct answers from the people on ATS. Guess what? They can't give you correct answers! Leave the damn thing alone!



posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdrawkcab
I find some of you ask questions and expect correct answers from the people on ATS. Guess what? They can't give you correct answers! Leave the damn thing alone!


There is always problems with American who live in problems, in Christianity problems.

And nobody give answers. They are just liars and liars in answers from generations to generations.



posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I think a lot of it is about belief.

I think it possible that Humanity has a need to believe that there is more than they can see.

Some see it as a higher power or powers, god, gods, angels etc.

Others seek it as a belief in ET. I think it natural that some see god as an alien.

Some, have found god or have been anally probed by ET, or had encounters with either. For the rest of us its a question of belief imho.

Till a burning bush talks to me or I am rectally probed I wont really believe in either



posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I have not waded my way through all the pages of posts. I read the start page and the most recent pages. I am just going to answer the original post by commonsense, my way.

I don't believe in the church. I think the church and the way religious people judge others is a big turn off.

On the other hand I do believe in a spiritual dimension and I do believe there are some underlying spiritual truths, or rules behind the entire universe.

I am comfortable with these being termed as "God," but I am not comfortable with "God" being portrayed as a person.

George Lucas got it right in Star Wars... May the Force be with you.

I loosely subscribe to Buddhist philosophy, though I shrink from calling myself Buddhist because the various sects of Buddhist with varying interpretations do as much discredit to Buddhism as many churches do to Christianity.

I respect and admire someone who truly lives by values. Values are like a moral compass.

I think the answer is not to put faith in something external because that is a cop out of personal responsibility.

If we are to do credit to the real God, then we have to start by taking responsibility for ourselves and what we project to and do in the world.

A wise person is guided by the teachings of other wise people, but seeks to find their own values in life and live by them. You can never be at peace in life trying to live up to other people's beliefs and values. You will never find acceptance if you are always hopping around trying to satisfy the judgments of others who themselves may not be fit to judge you. You must be whole in yourself so that the judgments of others are irrelevant.

As for aliens... well they are just the next religion aren't they?
They may exist or they may not, but that has little relevance to people's unquenchable desire for something to believe in.



posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
>Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

My answer is: They are both easy for me to believe in.


I do understand why some people have a hard time with one or the other. There is so much BS to weed through to get to the truth.



posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Just to quickly reiterate, it's a lot easier to believe in aliens than God, because I have yet to find anyone who can even remotely reasonably define what "God" is.

At least "aliens" can be defined as some kind of intelligent, living creature that didn't originate on Earth. "God," on the other hand, is a kind of nebulous concept people generally use to describe a feeling they sometimes get of "vastness," for lack of a better word. Or "connectedness" with what they feel is the rest of the Universe. Or something. Sometimes even calling it "love," because the physiological sensations are similar.

Some people visualize a kind of benevolent, conscious entity that somehow controls and monitors all action in the Universe, possibly with emotions and motivations roughly similar to our own. Although how an omnipotent, transcendental, infinite being could have these kinds of emotions is pretty hard to fathom. Some people even go so far as to put a human face on this superbeing, imaging "him" to be a big Grandfather in the Sky. Children like this idea, and some adults hold onto it rather than deal with it on a grown-up, rational level.

Some people choose to define "God" as the entirety of existence. But that kind of takes away the consciousness aspect, and most people want their God to be conscious. And caring. About them, personally. "Yes, God is the whole of the Universe, guiding every movement of every subatomic particle from the beginning of time to the end, and he really hopes you do good on your math test."

But what generally happens when people try to define this "God," is that they immediately run into all kinds of contradictions and paradoxes that they either ignore or try to reconcile with some kind of "trans-logic" (i.e., God is supernatural and omnipotent, and beyond rationality and reason, so our limited human logic doesn't apply.) Whatever. It's a cop-out. Again, something people settle for rather than having to deal with the uncomfortable feeling of unknowing. Or maybe knowing it's all a crock.

Personally, I can't imagine myself professing a belief in something that I don't really understand on any level. I don't even see how it's possible. "I believe in _____________ ." I don't get it.


[edit on 2-6-2007 by SuicideVirus]



posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
despite the fact that I am a shaky believer in a supreme being, it is definitely easier to believe in aliens than in god. It's much easier to believe that in the extreme expansiveness of the universe there cannot be another intelligent civilization that may be more or less advanced than us. I think the odds of that being true (which it probably is) is much eas)sier to believe than a shapeless/massless spirit creating the world with the plan of love and harmony (regardless if he/she was a mathematical genius). from a scientific view, aliens over religious figures. But faith is another issue



posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus
Just to quickly reiterate, it's a lot easier to believe in aliens than God, because I have yet to find anyone who can even remotely reasonably define what "God" is. ...

... personally. "Yes, God is the whole of the Universe, guiding every movement of every subatomic particle from the beginning of time to the end, and he really hopes you do good on your math test."


Well, you did a pretty good job of defining what God is.





Originally posted by SuicideVirus

But what generally happens when people try to define this "God," is that they immediately run into all kinds of contradictions and paradoxes



Yes, this is inevitable God being what he/she is. I know that understanding God is a learning process. It will take more than a lifetime to understand who and what God is.




Originally posted by SuicideVirus

Personally, I can't imagine myself professing a belief in something that I don't really understand on any level. I don't even see how it's possible. "I believe in _____________ ." I don't get it.




Well let me ask you this: Do you believe in TV (television)? Do you understand how it works at every level? How the radio waves are converted to pretty color pictures? What a radio wave is and how it works? Matter into energy and energy into matter? You can keep asking questions until you get well into the realm of belief and not proof. No one fully understands how it works, it just does. We accept what we observe.

Belief in God is very similar to belief in TV. Is any of it real? or is it only in the minds of those who observe?



posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   


For all those people who do not believe in God and who go along with the theory that the "Big Bang" was a natural process of evolution can you explain this for me?
If, according to you all, all the matter in the Universe was in one huge mass and the "Big Bang" distributed it causing all the Galaxies etc to come into existance( over an immense period of time ). Where did this huge culmination of matter come from? How did it come into existance and who put it there?
I don't have all the answers myself but I would appreciate it very much if all, or any, of you Atheists could answer this query for me hopefully with a sound, sensible, feasible arguament.




posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
the bible ufo connection...

www.bibleufo.com...



posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Aliens are easier to beleive in. We want to think were the smartest on this planet, and you just HAVE to beleive that this is not the only planet in the entire universe with intelligent life.
to think otherwise (that life on other planets doesnt exist) is pure ignorance because your saying this is the only planet in the universe with life.

god is nothing more than a 2000 year old story handed down to put fear into ppl if they do wrong (hence the term god fearing person) in times when there really was no law but some "higher power that see's all" will judge you and all your actions when you die.

how does he keep track of everyone, all the time? he must have real good eyes and a pretty sharp memory eh?


too many contradictions in the bible also:

god created the devil? what a moron, he created evil instead of allowing good to flourish on its own.

adam/eve, one steals an apple but they BOTH get punished?
adam eve/ when they had kids, who did their kids breed with if god is against incest (hey, i aint supporting it either but its a good point!)

noah takes 2 of all animals, again what about incest? what do the baby animals breed with when they grow up?

they re-write the old testamet various times to make it better suited to modern times.. who gave the church permission to re-write the laws that god made thousands of years ago? one priest who had a vision one night?Church is not above god, that is assuming god exists (but he dont)

churchs abuse children instead of protecting them due to sex starved pastors/priests.

religion is the cause of most, if not all wars. Hundreds of thousands have died at the hands of others for choosing the wrong religion, so much for thought shall not kill, and so much for showing any compassion or helping "show them the light"

religion causes more divides, more wars, more deaths under gods name, and more racism than anything else!


its ok to slay entire villages, as long as your doing it FOR god against those who dont beleive in your version of god.

if god did exist he'd be quite the sadistic hypocrit when you think of it.




[edit on 29/6/07 by Obliv_au]



posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have a cristian friend and i told her (fter she told me the idea of aliens was bonkers), i told her that beleiveing there is an all seeing omniscient lord thats all around us is harder for me to beleive than aliens, she looked geniunly bemused. i am not a religious personand was never brung up that way, the idea of religion totally bffles me, how can a 2000 year old book still be relevant today? if there was a god and he really did love us all why did we have a tsunami, why did we have new orleans drown, there is no god.



posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au
Aliens are easier to beleive in. We want to think were the smartest on this planet, and you just HAVE to beleive that this is not the only planet in the entire universe with intelligent life.
to think otherwise (that life on other planets doesnt exist) is pure ignorance because your saying this is the only planet in the universe with life.

god is nothing more than a 2000 year old story handed down to put fear into ppl if they do wrong (hence the term god fearing person) in times when there really was no law but some "higher power that see's all" will judge you and all your actions when you die.

how does he keep track of everyone, all the time? he must have real good eyes and a pretty sharp memory eh?


too many contradictions in the bible also:

god created the devil? what a moron, he created evil instead of allowing good to flourish on its own.

adam/eve, one steals an apple but they BOTH get punished?
adam eve/ when they had kids, who did their kids breed with if god is against incest (hey, i aint supporting it either but its a good point!)

noah takes 2 of all animals, again what about incest? what do the baby animals breed with when they grow up?

they re-write the old testamet various times to make it better suited to modern times.. who gave the church permission to re-write the laws that god made thousands of years ago? one priest who had a vision one night?Church is not above god, that is assuming god exists (but he dont)

churchs abuse children instead of protecting them due to sex starved pastors/priests.

religion is the cause of most, if not all wars. Hundreds of thousands have died at the hands of others for choosing the wrong religion, so much for thought shall not kill, and so much for showing any compassion or helping "show them the light"

religion causes more divides, more wars, more deaths under gods name, and more racism than anything else!


its ok to slay entire villages, as long as your doing it FOR god against those who dont beleive in your version of god.

if god did exist he'd be quite the sadistic hypocrit when you think of it.




[edit on 29/6/07 by Obliv_au]


right on. i didnt ven read that before i posted!



posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthCanHurt
Well let me ask you this: Do you believe in TV (television)? Do you understand how it works at every level? How the radio waves are converted to pretty color pictures? What a radio wave is and how it works? Matter into energy and energy into matter? You can keep asking questions until you get well into the realm of belief and not proof. No one fully understands how it works, it just does. We accept what we observe.

Belief in God is very similar to belief in TV. Is any of it real? or is it only in the minds of those who observe?


You must be kidding.

I believe... this discussion has reached its nadir.



posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I do believe in God ,but there is'nt enough evidence to cleary state it existed in the other hand people have filmed ufos and have documented ufos for thousands of years.There is no physical evidence of its existance , since the bible was written by man and we're knowm for being deceitful towards each other.It can all be solved if some chubby little angel flys down to earth with its little wings and confirms it to us ,or jesus coming down on his "cloud" telling us he's of divine or alien origin. Maybe no one will ever solve the answer untill we pass over after this life and find the true anwser of our origin.


[edit on 1-7-2007 by steve-o]



posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthCanHurt
Well let me ask you this: Do you believe in TV (television)? Do you understand how it works at every level? How the radio waves are converted to pretty color pictures? What a radio wave is and how it works? Matter into energy and energy into matter? You can keep asking questions until you get well into the realm of belief and not proof. No one fully understands how it works, it just does. We accept what we observe.

Belief in God is very similar to belief in TV. Is any of it real? or is it only in the minds of those who observe?


Yeah i wouldnt say this is a good argument. Basically your arguing the lack on technical knowledge of people on the machines around them. The main difference is that there is someone or a group of people who can answer all your TV questions. There is nobody that can answer all your questions on god.



posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Those who read my posts on BTS already know, but for the rest of you who don't:

I don't believe in god. Period. There's no empirical evidence for, and plenty of logical evidence against, that particular fairy tale.

As far as aliens go, I personally think that there is life out in the universe on other planets than ours. But do I think they are flying around Earth secretly, having made a base on the moon's darkside, and abducting and probing my fellow Earthlings? No.

What would be the point?

Maybe there was at one time an alien civilization that got off their home planet and explored a bit of the universe. Maybe there will be one at some point in the future. The universe is infinite in time and space (for all intents and purposes) and so saying that it couldn't happen would be pretty egotistical.

However, the universe's vastness in time and space is the very thing that leads me to believe that finding our tiny, insignificant planet in the massive continuum of existence is like trying to find one particular grain of sand on a miles-long beach.

So, as to the question do I believe god or aliens are more likely, I guess I'd say aliens are, but the odds of aliens being HERE and NOW are about equal to the odds that god is watching me. I.e., nil.



new topics

top topics



 
6
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

log in

join