It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Being a Christian and knowing that I have seen aliens before. lol. I would have to say neither! I believe in both

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is a long thread and I haven't read through it all yet , but I have to say.........

God!

I don't hold faith in religion. There isnt much proof for any kind of deity or angel. I believe that something is 'out there' (even moreso than aliens!) but it isn't sentient. Life may be a random accident caused......you get the picture.

My belief in aliens comes from the fact that I have seen a UFO and that I have had a few 'experiences'.
I will say no more.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I think God is harder to believe in. Aliens would be biological and not supernatural so that alone makes them easier to believe in. Considering the Drake Equation which basically states there could be thousands of intelligent races throughout the Universe and the easily understandable nature of a living organism makes aliens quite easy to believe in. God, on the other hand, is supernatural and beyond the realm of what any mortal has experienced or could experience. It is much more difficult to imagine an ineffable supernatural deity beyond the realm of space and time than it is to believe their might be biological life similar to us that is easily explainable.

I do think it is important to point out that disbelief in a supernatural deity does not necessarily include disbelief in an afterlife, reincarnation, or some form of Universal consciousness. One should not confuse Atheism with Materialism. Atheism is sort-of like a subset of Materialism because Materialism forbids any kind of spiritual belief while Atheism itself does not. When most people call themselves Atheists they truly mean they are Materialists also though there is a rare bunch of Atheists that aren’t Materialists. I am an Atheists but I am not a Materialist because I believe there is an afterlife, or Universal conscious, but I do not believe a supernatural deity exists.

If one were to actually research near-death experiences there is quite a lot of evidence that points toward the reality of an afterlife or Universal conscious. There are some instances where the heart and brain would stop and the person is brought back to life recalling a conversation that happened nearly 300 feet away separated by many walls, floors, and even an elevator shaft. It would be physically impossible for anyone in the room to hear the conversation let alone being able to process the vibratory sounds when the brain has stopped. There are many, many, cases of such things occurring. The research has not proved or disproved the existence of a supernatural deity but it has generally shown that the people who temporarily experienced the after-life done so because they felt they were worthy and not because someone was judging them or because of “sins.” If an Atheist reads through all of the research done on the near-death experience and still thinks there isn’t an after-life or universal conscious then that person needs to drop the label “Atheist” and start using “Materialist.”

I also found one statement truly laughable. The person thought many Atheists choose not to believe because they want to avoid the “responsibility” that goes with believing. I should say that I hate “politically correct” language and would prefer the people simply said what they meant. It is obvious this person is trying to say Atheists are not as moral as their religious counterparts. One should not make such quick judgments on an entire group of people. In fact, you shouldn’t be judging any one person. If you want to make such claims then you should have the evidence to support it. I will tell you right now that there isn’t any evidence to support the claim. The most relevant research to support such a claim would likely be the beliefs of the people who have committed serious crimes and were thrown in prison. That research shows that a larger percentage of Christians commit crimes than Atheists. If one wants to go further back in history looking for evidence one will find that there are more religious battles than there were political ones. You are more than welcome to dislike the beliefs an Atheist believes in but you have no authority or right to characterize the morals of an Atheist—especially when research shows you are wrong. Atheists are, generally, respectable people. Christians are also, generally, respectable people. One should not confuse the dislike of beliefs as being a dislike of the people.

I think it is important to point out the obvious bias of the thread starter. If one reads through the topic one will find that all believers are treated with a “thanks for your response!” reply while nonbelievers are practically interrogated. One cannot help but feel that this topic was not meant to be a legitimate discussion but rather a way for a religious automaton to push their beliefs upon others. I am nearly tempted to start interrogating the believers just so this thread may appear balanced. Can everyone please start being courteous to all of the others instead of those inside your belief-bubble?

I am also tired of believers insisting that the Bible is evidence. It is not evidence. If something requires faith then it is not evidence. If the Bible is considered evidence of a supernatural deity then Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Masque of the Red Death” should be considered evidence that Father Time or the Grim Reaper exists. One should not blindly believe the words written by another human being. The Bible is a great book and you may believe what is written inside of it but that does not make the Bible physical proof that such a deity exists.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Aliens can at least be defined enough to determine whether or not they have a reasonable chance of existing in a way that is meaningful to me. "God" on the other hand, is more of a poorly-defined metaphysical concept than an actual thing or entity that could meaningfully exist.

So given the choice between aliens and God, I'd have to go with the aliens. I have not seen any compelling evidence for the existence of either, however.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu
Aliens can at least be defined enough to determine whether or not they have a reasonable chance of existing in a way that is meaningful to me. "God" on the other hand, is more of a poorly-defined metaphysical concept than an actual thing or entity that could meaningfully exist.

So given the choice between aliens and God, I'd have to go with the aliens. I have not seen any compelling evidence for the existence of either, however.

The thread title says which is harder to believe in, not easier. So based on what you said don't you mean to say "God"?

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
This is a long thread and I haven't read through it all yet , but I have to say.........

God!

I don't hold faith in religion. There isnt much proof for any kind of deity or angel. I believe that something is 'out there' (even moreso than aliens!) but it isn't sentient. Life may be a random accident caused......you get the picture.

My belief in aliens comes from the fact that I have seen a UFO and that I have had a few 'experiences'.
I will say no more.

I must also confess to "jumping through" this thread and not giving it the attention it certainly deserves. But my experiences in this life, as opposed to Jackofblades, point in exactly the opposite direction. I've never seen a UFO, but have had A LOT of bump-ins with things I can only explain as spiritual. Does believing in God mean I can't believe in UFOs, or visa versa? Of course not! In fact, if one is to believe in Quantum Physics, then one must accept that if it can be imagined, then there MUST BE a chance of its existance. That is the first rule.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I believe that the sumerians may have had it right.
What we call gods are beings that are much further with technology and could even have put us on this planet. They guided us humans many years ago and educated us on many fields.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here's a little something extra I wanted to add, but couldn't find the EDIT feature...

IF our belief in a deity can be linked to a "God" portion of our brains, can you suppose then, that there are aliens who believe in God even more than we humans can ever be capable of...and who disbelieve in us WAY more than our sceptics disbelieve in them??

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The answer to this question is easy...its FAITH!

the bible says faith is hoping for,and being certain of something thats not seen.

Every christain must live by faith,because truth is, they have never seen jesus.

the bible also says no one can please god without faith.

So for everyone who says i wont believe aliens/ufo's till i see them..you cannot be a christain..because you would be lying when you say you believe n jesus,but have not seen him either.

And if you wanna talk about evidence...well then there isnt aclose comparison with all eye witness acounnts of ufo's and all types of website about this stuff..

Im not trying to tell people not to believe in jesus,all lim saying is,having faith is the basis weather you wanna believe in jesus or aliens.

but consider once someone witnesses a ufo..they can no longer deny the truth....and jesus said those who deny me,deny the father..so he could have ment those who deny "other life" also deny GOD..because he was other life.

Peace

[edit on 25-12-2006 by TheSonOfMan]

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Based on personal experiences of both a Spiritual and possible Extraterrestrial Presense - I'd have to say I belive in both, although I doubt I would "worship" another life form simply because of advanced technology - that seems rather silly to me.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
I'd have to say I belive in both, although I doubt I would "worship" another life form simply because of advanced technology - that seems rather silly to me.

I wonder if you would say the same if you were living in an age without flying vehicles

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
That is a good observation. It just shows that people look to support what they already believe. I once heard that people believe in aliens/supernatural/political causes to replace god. (Kind of like that god-shaped hole metaphor) I believe it's more like people use all these things to find or create meaning in their life, and are drawn to look for some "higher power."

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
From the Christian definition of God We are All "God" and We are all "aliens". God Being omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnified... would mean that God is Everything and Everywhere, thus We are God, God is Us, God is "extra-terrestrials", "extra-terrestrials" are God, We are "extra-terrestrials" and "extra-terrestrials" are Us... in conclusion: We are Us, We are Every thing, Every thing is Us.

To believe in one is to believe in both (all). Belief is derived from all that is; all that is Being Existence.

Without Being too "religious", because this is an Existential fact, there is a scripture where Jesus states that, "Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you" Luke 17:21

[edit on 20-1-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
That is a good observation. It just shows that people look to support what they already believe. I once heard that people believe in aliens/supernatural/political causes to replace god. (Kind of like that god-shaped hole metaphor) I believe it's more like people use all these things to find or create meaning in their life, and are drawn to look for some "higher power."

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I don't subscribe to any belief system, but if i had to choose i'd probably sway towards some form of physical beings 'creating' us, rather than some deity we are meant to believe in but never see.

As far as i can tell, after reading Chariots of the Gods, and researching it's information to ensure it was true, it seems to be on the right track.

Humanoids, more ape than human, roaming the planet. Intelligent life in some form of spacecraft comes along, lands and meets the apemen. They immediately bow down simply because of the impossibility of what they have just seen. These 'men' are as primitive as they come, and when faced with other humanoid beings coming out of a 'flaming chariot', what other explanation would they have but Gods...

and Religion was born.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The following is an interview that will help Us to scientifically comprehend the atrributes of "God" as Everything.

The God Code

www.consciousmedianetwork.com...

[edit on 20-1-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nappyheadYou are just as blinded as you say "Mistress of Night" is. Have you not been reading this whole argument? We've already discussed tons of evidence about how GOD DOES EXIST!

So you say there are official documents
? Can you please cite it on this website?

[edit on 24-6-2005 by nappyhead]

LOL what evidence??? A 2000 year old story???
What about religeons from thousands of years ago? why did they worship loads of gods, then all of a sudden it turned to 1, the awnser is it's easier to control populations if they all think/believe the same thing.
Also the so called bible bashers evidence that the earth is 6-10,000 years old is a joke(dinosaurs any one) LOL there are even civilisations that have been dated back 12,000 years(ancient indians as stated in the sanskrit texts) In fact i can't even be bothered to carry on because god is a joke.
In fact can a bible basher awnser this. If every1 believes in the same god why is it that all the religeons fight each other over what they believe, surley if god existed he would stop every one from fighting, and dont say any of that (crud) saying life here is a test.
``````````````````````````
Removed triple nested quote and replaced censor circumvention with 'crud'

[edit on 20/1/07 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have a problem with "do you believe in God", I like to think everything that exists is God. We are all raindrops from the ocean. The energy form that is existance is what I think of as being God. Each life is but a window for it to exist. Where did the energy originate? - or how did it start? is the end also the beginning? - is there no such thing as not existing?

I believe that aliens - superior intelligence and which are also spiritually advanced beings have a better understanding of this complex science and the structure of the universe.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicalRat
I have a problem with "do you believe in God", I like to think everything that exists is God. We are all raindrops from the ocean. The energy form that is existance is what I think of as being God. Each life is but a window for it to exist. Where did the energy originate? - or how did it start? is the end also the beginning? - is there no such thing as not existing?

I believe that aliens - superior intelligence and which are also spiritually advanced beings have a better understanding of this complex science and the structure of the universe.

I think one must understand what is the real God and Gods of religions.

Nobody knows the real God, not even aliens ( if there are aliens ). And the real God could be the creator of Universe could be not. Could be everything could be nothing. Leave it to your imagination. Nobody is at the level to know. Not even Jesus the Jews know anything about God. Who is the God of God?
The real God could be watching us or do nothing at all, we do NOT know.
Perhaps he created things in the beginning, and let things evolve by themselves.
Everything is left to the nature or to this specific system created by God. After been going for sometimes, this system resulting human species.
So everything is left to us, we can do what we want to do. If you bang your head to the wall, it hurts. If you hate someone, there is a high chance someone hate you back. Action-reaction, Karma, or whatever you want to call it.
There is no Love from real God for someone special. Some good guy get killed and get injustice. Some bad guys live happily ever after. The earth is still rolling.
Real God do not come and help you, it is the right moment ( simply called "luck" ) that help you, it is your friend relative society that help you. And mostly it is YOU yourself that help you.

There is no such thing that Real God created human as His image. It is the system of the universe that created planets, solar systems, living beings and human beings.
Nobody and nothing knows if God is a He or a She or IT. Nobody knows the size weight or anything about Real God.

Perhaps one day Human will know the real God, some billion years to go.

Now, the problem to humankind is this fake God, God of Religion. Human created religion based on their senses and logic. And human logic were so limited thousand years ago.
It could be some sort of Aliens or Higher Intelligences created the so called modern human or US, and ACTUALLY they were not creating modern human at all. They just hybrid themselves with existed human on earth, cloning, bio engineering, whatever the name is.

Now imagine, you bring Bulldog and Terrier together, you breed them and then you get Bull Terrier. You could say you created Bull Terrier, but you did NOT even created a single hair of a dog.
You could have certain control over this Bull Terrier, you can give them good food and shelter and continue to breed them with another species.

The same thing happens to human and to human relationship with fake Gods. They have certain control over human, but they did NOT even created a single human hair. If human pray hard to them they might hear it and give human good food and shelter!!! WHILE the REAL GOD do nothing to human or do something that no way human being would be able to know.

One day your Bull Terrier bite your neighbor, you are so proud of it. You train your dog harder, you give your dog knowledge so they could win the fight, you bring it to dog fight and it win over other species. You are so proud of it. But one day it bites your daughter, and you bring it to vets and kill it.

That is what happen to fake God of religions and Human.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

What if god was one of us?

Just a slob like one of us.

Just a stranger on the bus.

Trying to make his way home.

Added LINK

and 'ex' tags.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please read Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and Copyrighted material in Posts and Pdcasts