It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

Originally posted by dominic77
... If me saying that God could come back as you or I, then how do you explain us being created in his own image?

Simple enough - god was created in our image as an act of anceint men anthropomorphising the seasons and the "non-fixed" celstial objects (sun, moon, mercury, venus, mars, saturn and jupiter) to make the world make sense to them. The rest of the story is mythology.

It seems your trying to say God is really man made? How in the world can you explain Angels and the tens of thousands of documented stories which exist even in our times? You know there are still Angels visiting people speaking prophecy. I guess mankind created them? I think not..

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael
How in the world can you explain Angels and the tens of thousands of documented stories which exist even in our times? You know there are still Angels visiting people speaking prophecy. I guess mankind created them? I think not..

Please read Carl Sagan's book "The Demon Haunted World". The simplest explanation is delusion.

If you have credible evidence of angels, by all means post it.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Hmm, I believe that God is more of an essence more than a super being. Like someone said, a 'higher conciousness' that makes events occur, and fall into place. I believe God is something unexplainable, and you just must believe it or not, without questioning his origin.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
Hmm, I believe that God is more of an essence more than a super being. Like someone said, a 'higher conciousness' that makes events occur, and fall into place. I believe God is something unexplainable, and you just must believe it or not, without questioning his origin.

You must also simply believe algebra or not, without questioning its origin.

If there's a higher conciousness that is somehow responsible for our existence, why must we set the intellect it endowed upon us aside and simply believe or not?

Faith is just as invalid an argument for religion as it is for driving a car.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Let's see..

A divine spiritual entity that created the entire known universe...

or

Other sentient life possibly inhabiting other planets in the universe.

I am inclined to believe in both.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
yes , one of the oldest questions [ not for us to know ]

and which is harder ? hmmmmm...depends on who you ask.

I believe there are both, however, the "aliens" are most likely, "the nephelim",
fallen angels and are causing all kinds of mischeif. not to mention all the wild speculation surrounding them.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I believe in both...God; and in Alien Beings...Like I've said before, with all the planets that are in the Universe, who are we to assume that we are the only Living Beings, and that Earth is the only planet that sustains any form of life?...Trust me...We Are Not Alone.

And to the subject of the existance of God...Exactly that... It's all in the Bible. And while I do not understand all the mysteries of God, I also do not understand all the mysteries of other worlds...At any rate, We Are Not Alone.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Aliens exist,it's a fact. In a Universe that contains 30 billion trillion star it is impossible that we are alone : IMPOSSIBLE

Whereas I believe religions are just man-made. The fact that we were created is illogical. If one religion was true, every ethny would know about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
Aliens exist,it's a fact. In a Universe that contains 30 billion trillion star it is impossible that we are alone : IMPOSSIBLE

Improbable, yes...Impossible, no.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
HARDER TO BELIEVE IN GOD OR ALIENS?

I find it harder to believe in aliens. There is several different equations produced by several scientists (specifically Jobe Martin P.h.D) that calculated that the chance there is intelligent or sentient life anywhere else in the universe is 10^40,000. I don't know if you know anything about exponents, but that number is probably larger than the number of atoms in the universe. Part of the equation process involves demonstrating what essential things all forms of life, no matter how different than ours they are, would need and in how much abundance.

Another equation by a different scientist calculated that the chance of sentient life elsewhere is basically equivelant to a random tornado blowing through a junkyard and assembling a completely flawless F-14 that works perfectly.

And still another scientist calculated that the chance of intelligent life elsewhere is like filling up our solar system with pennies and marking one of the pennies with a marker and then mixing it in and then being able to randomly pick the marked penny out the FIRST TIME.

Another interesting statistic: 97 to 99 percent of UFO pictures are forgeries, while most of the remaining 1 to 3 percent are specks of light. That still does leave a lot of pictures that cannot be explained and some which resemble flying saucers, but keep that in mind next time you think about UFO sightings and pictures.

"Popular Mechanics" did a story a few months ago about Project Blue Book and the government "cover-ups" in which the magazine sent a team to the Arlington National Archives near D.C. to investigate. Well something that has been played down by the media and has been mentioned few or nill times by anyone is that the government has totally declassified the project and the cover-ups (and most importantly, the log book of the Air Base near Roswell). The Popular Mechanics team had access to EVERYTHING and there were NO ALIENS. Go to popularmechanics.com and look up the article for yourself if you don't believe me.

As we debate this let's keep in mind that the DARWINIAN THEORY OF EVOLUTION IS A RELIGION. It is the belief in eternal matter and energy. You either believe in a para-physical all-powerful being who isn't constrained by the laws of the physical universe (therefore is eternal and not bound by the physical laws of fluctuation and decline) who created everything or you believe in eternal matter and energy (which by the way goes against one of the fundamental FACTUAL laws of science, which is that matter and energy cannot be eternal and both are subject to constant decline and disorder). Which of the two seems more logical to you?

By the way, there is actual HARD EVIDENCE that the Earth is only 6,000 to 10,000 years old AND LOTS OF IT. But that's a whole nother story.

Oh... and another thing... evolution is based on transition, which is funny because THERE ARE NO TRANSITIONAL LIFE FORMS IN THE FOSSIL RECORD!

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
God! 100% How can you belive that there is a man (or woman or both) in the sky watching everything that EVERYBODY does in the world. God sure has a lot of time!
He punishes you for screwing someone you're not married to! How did Adam and Eve create a child if they didn't know about marriage. God even kills his own son in the Bible! I'll give you an axe and tell you to kill your son and tell you to pretend that you killed him for humankinds' sins! Would you do it? Is it the right thing to do? Answer to all of the above: NO! How can he just watch everyone on Earth! 6 billion and counting. If he is watching you (that's what you belive, right?) then go take a shower and see how comfortable you are! Good ridance Christians! See you in Hell!

Sorry. I went on a rant.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raphael

Originally posted by spamandham

Originally posted by dominic77
... If me saying that God could come back as you or I, then how do you explain us being created in his own image?

Simple enough - god was created in our image as an act of anceint men anthropomorphising the seasons and the "non-fixed" celstial objects (sun, moon, mercury, venus, mars, saturn and jupiter) to make the world make sense to them. The rest of the story is mythology.

It seems your trying to say God is really man made? How in the world can you explain Angels and the tens of thousands of documented stories which exist even in our times? You know there are still Angels visiting people speaking prophecy. I guess mankind created them? I think not..

How can you prove that those 'Angels' are really angels? You can't can you! Don't say that God made Angels because if God doesn't exist then God can't make angels!

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by nappyhead
HARDER TO BELIEVE IN GOD OR ALIENS?

I find it harder to believe in aliens. There is several different equations produced by several scientists (specifically Jobe Martin P.h.D) that calculated that the chance there is intelligent or sentient life anywhere else in the universe is 10^40,000. I don't know if you know anything about exponents, but that number is probably larger than the number of atoms in the universe. Part of the equation process involves demonstrating what essential things all forms of life, no matter how different than ours they are, would need and in how much abundance.

Another equation by a different scientist calculated that the chance of sentient life elsewhere is basically equivelant to a random tornado blowing through a junkyard and assembling a completely flawless F-14 that works perfectly.

And still another scientist calculated that the chance of intelligent life elsewhere is like filling up our solar system with pennies and marking one of the pennies with a marker and then mixing it in and then being able to randomly pick the marked penny out the FIRST TIME.

Another interesting statistic: 97 to 99 percent of UFO pictures are forgeries, while most of the remaining 1 to 3 percent are specks of light. That still does leave a lot of pictures that cannot be explained and some which resemble flying saucers, but keep that in mind next time you think about UFO sightings and pictures.

"Popular Mechanics" did a story a few months ago about Project Blue Book and the government "cover-ups" in which the magazine sent a team to the Arlington National Archives near D.C. to investigate. Well something that has been played down by the media and has been mentioned few or nill times by anyone is that the government has totally declassified the project and the cover-ups (and most importantly, the log book of the Air Base near Roswell). The Popular Mechanics team had access to EVERYTHING and there were NO ALIENS. Go to popularmechanics.com and look up the article for yourself if you don't believe me.

As we debate this let's keep in mind that the DARWINIAN THEORY OF EVOLUTION IS A RELIGION. It is the belief in eternal matter and energy. You either believe in a para-physical all-powerful being who isn't constrained by the laws of the physical universe (therefore is eternal and not bound by the physical laws of fluctuation and decline) who created everything or you believe in eternal matter and energy (which by the way goes against one of the fundamental FACTUAL laws of science, which is that matter and energy cannot be eternal and both are subject to constant decline and disorder). Which of the two seems more logical to you?

By the way, there is actual HARD EVIDENCE that the Earth is only 6,000 to 10,000 years old AND LOTS OF IT. But that's a whole nother story.

Oh... and another thing... evolution is based on transition, which is funny because THERE ARE NO TRANSITIONAL LIFE FORMS IN THE FOSSIL RECORD!

You just assume that we've seen the whole universe! We haven't been out of our own solar system! Do you think aliens really need water? Could they maybe survive on gases or rock from their planet? Don't assume that everything needs water! Alhambra just made that up!

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Whereas I believe religions are just man-made. The fact that we were created is illogical. If one religion was true, every ethny would know about it.

Bravo! Bravo!

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Not impossible but let's say you're right.
Who cares about religion, the original question is about God. So the question should be which is easier to believe;
that billions, maybe trillions of beings can just randomly come into exsistence or;
that we're all alone in this huge universe or;
that we're not alone but all beings are still part of intellectual design?

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
One thing many people struggle with about the Bible (myself included) is the apparent "injustices" of the old testament. Specifically the mass killings of people by the Israelites. How could a God of love allow this, much less support it? The Biblical God is a god of perfection in every good quality. This includes love, justice, righteousness, wisdom, etc... If you simply read the verses partaining to the mass killings then you can't grasp why this was done. When you read the entire context it becomes more logical. God was going to allow the slaughter of many amorites or amalekites, but decided instead to give them literally hundreds of years to repent from their sins, but because they were stubborn he had to allow the Israelites to overtake them. God has self-imposed standards, his "love endures for a thousand generations" but he will "give judgment to the third and fourth generation."
So while we all want God to be a hippy and to never hurt a fly we must understand that he loves indefinately "and wants all to come to repentance," but before the new covenant (Jesus Christ and the final victory over sin) he had to instill justice, because sin and evil had to be paid for some how.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
"You just assume that we've seen the whole universe! We haven't been out of our own solar system! Do you think aliens really need water? Could they maybe survive on gases or rock from their planet? Don't assume that everything needs water! Alhambra just made that up!"

Even if the universe were a trillion times bigger then it is now other sentient life is still improbable. Something is considered virtually impossible when the chance reaches 10^324.... but the equation is now at 10^40,000. Exponents are, well, exponential, so the universe would still have to be trillions upon trillions of times bigger than it is now to even support the hint-chance of a sentient life form, much less one that could travel here.

"Do you think aliens really need water? Could they maybe survive on gases or rock from their planet? Don't assume that everything needs water! Alhambra just made that up!"

These things are TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT in the equations and studies.
If evolution is real then you have to deal with the improbable chance of sentient life forming. If God is real then life exists at his discretion and the statistics don't matter.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
We see God's existence everywhere in the beauty of creation and the intricate designs which have been so lovingly put in place. much of mans modern day technology has in fact been based on these very designs. during the time that man could only walk the earth or travel by horse back the design for air travel would be sitting in trees whistling sweet songs and flying over head. while men were sweating in the midday sun the technology for air conditioning was just sitting there in the termites mound. the list goes on... it is so common to find man copying these designs yet when it comes to recognising his power....how quick are we to give him the glory. and its true that he really is the only one deserving of it.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
maybe its too late , but i would like to add my comment in this thread .
i think that this question have infinity of answers, i'v spend hours and hours b4 thinkin about it withount getting to a point , many times i felt like i am on the edge of madness . i think we have been made for some reason , for someone to take advantge of us, maybe its God !!!!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

There is several different equations produced by several scientists (specifically Jobe Martin P.h.D) that calculated that the chance there is intelligent or sentient life anywhere else in the universe is 10^40,000.

Funny how they don't agree on the magnitude, but they somehow agree on the conclusion. Each of your anonymous scientists is calculating the odds of a fully formed human spontaneously assembling from raw materials. Of course the odds of that would be unfathomably small, but that isn't the proposed mechanism for the origin of life.

The proposed mechanism is that a molecule that acts as its own catalyst spontaneously formed, or similar variations on that theme. Once you have a molecule that reproduces itself, there's nothing to stop the positive feedback loop. Such molecules have been formed in a lab environment believed to be representative of prebiotic earth. The odds of it happening spontaneously have been calculated at about 1 in a trillion for a given experiment. However, prebiotic earth was a vast never ending lab for this experiment. The odds of protolife forming in such an environment have been calculated to be astronomically high.

What we don't know, is how probable the right conditions are, or what the odds are that such protolife would evolve into a sentient being. Anyone who claims to know those odds is lying.

As we debate this let's keep in mind that the DARWINIAN THEORY OF EVOLUTION IS A RELIGION. It is the belief in eternal matter and energy.

Darwinian theory, and the more modern spinoffs, say nothing at all about whether matter and energy are eternal. How can you claim it's a religion when you demonstrate such a high degree of cluelessness as to what domains evolutionary theory even addresses?

Evolutionary theory is NOT a single theory. It is a collection of theories, each of which has been observed directly. Note that neither abiogenesis nor cosmology are part of evolutionary theory.

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join