It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Being agnostic doesn't mean you don't believe in God. It means you don't believe in God blindly.

It doesn't mean you do either. Undecided.. it's not commiting to anything and keeping an open yet skeptical mind. [In other words 'I don't know'.]

"From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist.... I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our being."
-Albert Einstein

Einstein did indeed believe in a creator God, based on his findings in science. He did not believe in a personal God.

Going by this and the other quotes of Einstein's you provided it seems that he was at core agnostic yet had a spiritual side which kept him from being an athiest.. I think trying to 'find' god has always been a powerful motivator for scientists.

..oh and something that wasn't quite a chicken but almost a chicken came before the egg. I guess that came first.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Being agnostic doesn't mean you don't believe in God. It means you don't believe in God blindly.

It doesn't mean you do either. Undecided.. it's not commiting to anything and keeping an open yet skeptical mind. [In other words 'I don't know'.]

Actually, an agnostic can believe or disbelieve in god, but will never claim to know whether he does indeed exist, nor will he/she ever claim to "know" god. I happen to be a very skeptical agnostic. While I don't believe in "god", logic tells me I have no way of knowing this one way or the other. There's a lack of evidence in either direction.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I compliment your research on the topic Lucid, the quotes.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
We can allow satellites, planets, suns, universe, nay whole systems of universes to be governed by laws, but the smallest insect, we wish to be created at once by special act.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sorry if i hadnt read all of the posts, but ive just joined now and i think you'd find it acceptable for me not to read all 39 pages, which is ALOT and i have never seen a bigger thread as of yet on ATS, well done whoever started it up!!

You may have moved on but im just gunna put what i think;

God or Aliens, my opinion Aliens are more beliveable, think about how many stars there are in the universe and add an average of 8 planets to each one, thats allota planets, one of thems gotta have life on it!!

God on the other hand, it just sounds so fictional, and if u read the bible it constantly contridicts itself, in my opinion, its just somebody wishing for people to act in a certain way, so they built up a big story and made it have loads of morals to it, as for the visual expiriences added? Either made up completly or sombody ate bad mushrooms.

God - Really Not Likely
Aliens - More than Likely

Edit - Typo's

[edit on 5-11-2004 by The_Squid]

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Am I way off topic and should shut up? or are you lot still talking about that?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Well there is more proof about aliens then there is of "god". God was created out of human fear that once you die you lose it all and just cease to exsist. The afterlife makes life a little easier to deal with. Plus those same people wanted order to follow by. Hence the 10 Commandments. The bible was written by the same people that thought the earth was flat and the center of the universe, among a lot of other things. The bible in my option is just a bunch of stories, like the Dark Tower series and Lord of the Rings. Not real but gives you some great interest.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kratos
The bible in my option is just a bunch of stories, like the Dark Tower series...

I love that series! I was thinking the same thing when I read it. 1000 years from now, it could be mistaken for a new bible.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
riley:
Going by this and the other quotes of Einstein's you provided it seems that he was at core agnostic yet had a spiritual side which kept him from being an athiest.. I think trying to 'find' God has always been a powerful motivator for scientists.

I totally agree, that has been and is a powerful motivator, and if you're are not motivated how much science are you going to discover? =) It's good to be skeptical, it's the quality of a healthy mind. Being skeptical doesn't mean you don't believe though. It means you're careful not to be lead awry on your path to truth.

Agnostic with a motivating spiritual side:

"I don't know", "but I want to!"

Sounds good to me =)

riley:
..oh and something that wasn't quite a chicken, but almost a chicken, came before the egg. I guess that came first.

Hehe. Yeah I'm for that idea.

iori_komei:
I compliment your research on the topic Lucid, the quotes.

Welcome. Glad I could provide some insight.

[edit on 093030p://6u28 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

God was created out of human fear that .........

An interesting thought. However, those that believe, believe that God did the creating - not the other way around. From an empirical perspective there is nothing to support this position other than pure speculation.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

God was created out of human fear that .........

An interesting thought. However, those that believe, believe that God did the creating - not the other way around. From an empirical perspective there is nothing to support this position other than pure speculation.

And your point about those people who believe that a god did the creating isn't pure speculation in itself? The only thing you have as proof(which many think not to be proof) is the bible which has been run over numerous times of change.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Einstein believed in Spinozas God. He believed God reveiled his work through nature. I think the fact that no one can come up with the same definition of God shows that it is subjective, and that God ideals are more of a cultural thing, obviously invented by man, that still doesnt mean God doesnt exist, though. And that only covers religion, not God.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You

And your point about those people who believe that a god did the creating isn't pure speculation in itself? The only thing you have as proof(which many think not to be proof) is the bible which has been run over numerous times of change.

If man created God, then, who created man? It's not specualtion. Matter cannot create matter. This all leads back to a supreme authority or creator whic is God.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
god was just an answer to all the weird happenin's. But, if god does exist, then what created it/him/her/whatever? maybe god's an all-powerful alien looking after us....

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense

If man created God, then, who created man? It's not specualtion. Matter cannot create matter. This all leads back to a supreme authority or creator whic is God.

Aare you saying that god is "matter"? Man does not need to be created by anyone or thing. Does it? I do not need a creator or a supreme authority.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Aare you saying that god is "matter"? Man does not need to be created by anyone or thing. Does it? I do not need a creator or a supreme authority.

No, not at all. God exists beyond the realm of time and space and for that matter - matter itself. Man, and the universe itself, hasn't been here forever, it was created. It is a fact that matter cannot create matter. Therefore, there must be a creator. It's not a matter of whether or not an individual "needs" a creator. One's needs have nothing to do with it. It's already happened. Whether you choose to believe it or not - you were created.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
No, not at all. God exists beyond the realm of time and space and for that matter - matter itself. Man, and the universe itself, hasn't been here forever, it was created. It is a fact that matter cannot create matter. Therefore, there must be a creator.

What do you have to support your arguement of this? I have not seen nor read anything factual on this. Where is it that your god started from? He must have a beginning and if so there must have been something that created god. Correct? If not, your theory means nil and means that there must not be a creator.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I believe in both, frankly.

1. It's ludicrous to believe we are the only intelligent(lmao humans, intelligent?) life in the universe with as many galaxies and stars out there and so much unknown that even our telescopes can't see.

2. I refuse to believe that the whole universe was one giant craps shoot and everything turned out as big as it is without something designing it. Nobody created God, he has always been here. But being that we are humans with our limited linear-style thinking, we can't comprehend that.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I believe in God and aliens. I think that the reason why we have not seen any aliens from other worlds is because they must have way better border patrol then we do.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Given the last reply, aliens cannot exist. With as soft as our borders have proven themselves, aliens would have been everywhere by now!

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join