It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
He did not "come" from anywhere. He always was and always will be.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
True! If someone doesn't agree, please define where he came from.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I think Darwin got it right. There is no God and we eveolved from other mammals. There is no evidence of God. However it is very highly likely that there is a planet somewhere in the universe that has good enough living conditions for life to form. Out of millions of other planets revolving around other stars, there must be somewhere that is about 93 million miles from one of them, that had enough comets hit the surface and melt that there is water and that over millions of years, life formed. With the number of other planets, I would say that the odds are overwhelmingly in favour of life elsewhere

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
dont ever let this stuff make u loose your faith in the lord.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hockey_crazy
There is no evidence of God.

But there is enough indication to believe that there was a conscious entity around before any matter was ever formed, based on current scientific theories...

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by StrangeLands
So you're suggesting that God doesn't understand what people really want? That those who formalise their prayers, who even pray out loud, still aren't expressing themselves clearly? That those people who pray "God, I'm broke, I'm going to be evicted, I really need to win the lottery" are victims of God's lack of perception?

Doesn't say much for God's omniscience, does it?

It seems to me that if you begin with the idea that God is infallible, you're going to inevitably end up in these ridiculous positions where you need to create arcane rules and arbitrary distinctions in order to cover up God's random, capricious nature. Rather, look at the evidence, then decide just how great God is.

He "answered" one person's prayer that some football team should win the championship, but ignores - or misunderstands - the thousands of Christians suffering from terrible diseases?

Allow me to refine my previous statement - if what you say is true, then God is either a sadist or stupid.

I think, perhaps, that you're missing the point here. When it comes to the games that you speak of people praying about; the types of things that have people largely divided, I think those things are left up to probability to play out. I don't think God takes an active role in seeing them through, per se. Now, for those people that TRULY NEED God to help them, and he doesn't... well, I have no explanation for that, other than God doesn't want that one to be helped. Maybe he saw into the future, and saw that something they'd do would endanger the lives of countless millions of people, so he let that person die now to prevent it.

Who knows what goes through God's mind? No one. And I'm not gonna sit here claiming God doesn't know what he's doing, or that he's anything but what he claimed to be, because I've never actually met him. And I think our sitting here trying to dictate how God SHOULD act is kind of stupid. Who are WE to TELL God how to act?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by hockey_crazy
I think Darwin got it right. There is no God and we eveolved from other mammals. There is no evidence of God. However it is very highly likely that there is a planet somewhere in the universe that has good enough living conditions for life to form. Out of millions of other planets revolving around other stars, there must be somewhere that is about 93 million miles from one of them, that had enough comets hit the surface and melt that there is water and that over millions of years, life formed. With the number of other planets, I would say that the odds are overwhelmingly in favour of life elsewhere

Darwin NEVER SAID THAT!! His pupils developed that extended theory LONG after his death. All Darwin did was make the observation that creatures adapt to their surroundings.

Where people got this idea that we came from sludge from is really beginning to make me wonder about the competency of the layman public.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Maybe he saw into the future, and saw that something they'd do would endanger the lives of countless millions of people, so he let that person die now to prevent it.

At any given moment, there are suffering men, women and children in hospital beds all around the world who are fervently and piously praying for deliverance from their illness. Not one in a million will be "miraculously" cured. Are you really suggesting that the other 999,999 are all proto-Hitlers and God wants them dead?

Congratulations, Borg. Despite stiff competition, you've just posted the worst defense of Christianity I've ever read, and I'm sure that some of the other theist contributors to this thread would like to distance themselves from that last remark.

And I think our sitting here trying to dictate how God SHOULD act is kind of stupid. Who are WE to TELL God how to act?

I just think it's curious that Christianity is all about love and forgiveness, when, according to your theories, God is being a random bastard and misunderstanding, ignoring or deliberately harming those who pray to Him. Does that really sound like someone who should be worshipped?

If you are right, then God is not worthy of your adoration, Borg. Perhaps it's time you reconsidered your position.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Borg makes a very good point. We spend far too much time trying to change God when we really should be asking God to help us change according to His will.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
CS, I'm disappointed. This is blind faith at it's blindest!

Assuming that Borg's theory regarding the future sins of thos people who do not have their prayers answered is correct, you still think that God is worthy of worship? What happened to determining your own moral code? What happened to believing in Christianity because it chimes with something deep within you? What happened with being a "good" person?

You're telling me, in all seriousness, that God can act amorally, cruelly and harshly just because he's God, and that Christians, instead of wondering if you're worshipping the right fella, should pray that He makes you more like Him?

Way to lead by example!

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I think TheBandits795 T+R+E=M theory makes a lot of sense.

And for those who want proof of the existence of God, how can you prove the existence of something if you don't know what the thing is you want to prove the existence of?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I just think it's curious that Christianity is all about love and forgiveness, when, according to your theories, God is being a random bastard and misunderstanding, ignoring or deliberately harming those who pray to Him.

You shouldn't even be making that argument if you understand what I was talking about in my earlier post. It's invalid...

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Alienaddicted,

Yes you can. Most if not all monotheistic and pagan religions talk about the (in pagan, the oldest and first) God or the Goddess being a creator and creating the physical universe. Now it's already simple, beacause for matter to exist in any form, there must always be a conscious observer watching. The form of matter appears out of nothing at the observers will. So before the physical universe existed, there had to be an entity around already.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Bandit, I did understand your post. I found your theory interesting, and thought you expressed yourself well and clearly. Unfortunately, your theory doesn't invalidate my last point, because the process of prayer you describe, if you are in fact correct, does not include God. You said it yourself - it's magic!

I'm a big believer in the power of positive thought, but what we're talking about here is divinely-answered Christian prayer. If Christians believe that God answers - or at least hears - their prayers, then my point is entirely valid.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

And I think our sitting here trying to dictate how God SHOULD act is kind of stupid. Who are WE to TELL God how to act?

I just think it's curious that Christianity is all about love and forgiveness, when, according to your theories, God is being a random bastard and misunderstanding, ignoring or deliberately harming those who pray to Him. Does that really sound like someone who should be worshipped?

If you are right, then God is not worthy of your adoration, Borg. Perhaps it's time you reconsidered your position.

As I posted before, my thoughts on God is that God is everything, and everything is energy. Thoughts are energy, so is it right to say then that you deicide what God creates? You are a co-creator with God. You are a co-creator with God? You are a co-creator with God, so God creates through energy, therefore God is not energy.

hmm, I'm thinking of rearranging my theory then..

God is not energy, energy is the thing God (and you) manifests through.

But then, what is God?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Unfortunately, your theory doesn't invalidate my last point, because the process of prayer you describe, if you are in fact correct, does not include God. You said it yourself - it's magic!

I'm a big believer in the power of positive thought, but what we're talking about here is divinely-answered Christian prayer. If Christians believe that God answers - or at least hears - their prayers, then my point is entirely valid.

Oh, I understand what you mean here. The problem is that (Pauline) christianity, which is virtually the only surviving form of christianity since the 3rd or 4th century a.d., doesn't teach the right way to pray, plain and simple...

And furthermore, higher order beings, including the highest one (which is in actually all beings combined and more), according to what I've read are also creators and can be requested to do the equation (magick) for you. They call the Hawaian method for doing so "Huna", although the Hawaians give it another name.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
God is harder to believe to me. everything that was an act of God , was nature, or the science at work. If people then could think out side of the box and see it for what it was, there would be no God.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
As a child I asked questions like "Can God make a rock so big that even he can't carry?" and my answer from others was always "Sure but he wouldn't. What you should be asking yourself is 'Can God make a rock so big that I can't carry it?'". That never seemed to be good enough for me...Christian semantics, double talk, insinuation of egotistical omnipotence. And this was from "good" Christians. As I got older I found myself asking why, if God was so good, would he allow disease and pain and war and death. I was actually given an answer by an edlerly Christian gentleman, he said," This world is like a fishbowl and we're all fish. God has committed himself to giving us free will instead of tending to us like pets. Now imagine if you give the fish freewill and run of the bowl...they'll kill and eat each other, dirty up the bowl and eventually die off. That is why there is disease, war, famine and evil."

I'm a Satanist by philosophy (and membership) now but I still believe this is a fitting analogy despite it being a tad overly simplified.

The question to me is not why God would allow famine, war and unneccessary death...the real question is...what am I doing to alleviate famine, war and unneccessary death?

[edit on 6/9/2004 by Sinobyte]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
How come there are NO acts of GOD now? Then a valcano erupting was god being mad at the peole. Do we still think this way? NO, we know better.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
When you look at the world not for it's negative but for it's positive, you'll see the acts of "God" everywhere you look. The birth of a baby, the blossoming of a rare flower, the migration of birds. We see natural wonders and mysteries all the time that can be attributed to the works of God. Volcano's included.

I'm definitely not a Christian but I believe "God" is a far greater concept than the written word can express or Christians can dwell on.

[edit on 6/9/2004 by Sinobyte]

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join