It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
How many sightings of God has there been?

I think I get where you are going with this, but think about how many sightings of Nessie there have been as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

I think I get where you are going with this, but think about how many sightings of Nessie there have been as well.

I think the existence of nessie probably seems more likely than that of God.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

I think the existence of nessie probably seems more likely than that of God.

What about underwear stealing gnomes?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
ET,
What do sightings of God have to do with the question of tomorrow?

[edit on 6/7/2004 by CommonSense]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   

What about underwear stealing gnomes?

Interesting! You could say the same things about imp's, faries, preostoric lost dinosaurs ect.

But the question is What is in a belief?

The answer can be anything because we as humans need to beleive in somthing or else we would have no purpose in life.

Also what is one mans belief is another man's crusade

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
According to the Sunday morning TV preachers, God talks to them!!!

God speaks to Jerry Falwell and George W. Bush!!!

The players who wear SuperBowl rings tell us God answered their prayers!

Survivors of serious accidents are healed by prayer!!!

Those healed from illness often cite the power of prayer!

God answers the prayers of the winners of the lottery!!!

God's switchboard must be busy handling billions of prayers everyday!!!

How can we deny the existence of God?????????????????????????

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Unlike God...there is much more evidence to support aliens....

1. Material evidence, such as unidentified materials, landing areas, etc.
2. More eyewitness accounts, and those that aren't over 2000 years old (when people thought rain was gods' tears and thunder meant the gods were angry). Not to mention, many of these thousands of accounts, are by very reputable people, in the military, doctors, teachers, etc.
3. Numerous government documents to support a coverup.
4. Millions reporting the same beings, (as opposed to the numerous incarnations of Gods..)

God also has other issues...

1. Constant contradictions in own book.
2. The Bible being proven wrong by science, such as evolution, the Earth not being the center of the Universe, etc.
3. The lack of a personal appearance to credible witnesses for over 2000 years...(and 2000 year old testimony is pretty shaky....especially considering the authors of the Bible constantly contradict each other)....

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
First off, evolution is NOT what you are thinking it is. We did NOT come from apes; well, maybe you did, but I didn't.

Secondly, I have come to the realization, after having read this thread through, that the question that started this whole thing off was flawed horribly. Think about it. The question is: who's harder to believe in, aliens or God? If aliens exist, then they are bound by our physical laws, unlike God in that he is bound only by his imagination. God is not a physical entity per se. He's everything and everywhere, and if it wasn't for him and his son, we'd all probably be dead right now simply for speaking about this, or not here at all, so be glad we are.

So it's hard for me to grasp the concept of how this question really has any merit. I fail to quite understand the similarities between the two being compared here, aside from the fact that there is no evidence to support the existence of either. If everything were based on evidence, then we'd never progress because we'd be too busy complaining about how some mad scientist was off screwin with something "new", and we'd say he was "playing God", which in light of the current question, seems kind of ironic, wouldn't you say? See, isn't it funny how times change people?

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Not to mention, Gazrok, that all I hear from UFO buffs is, "OH LOOK!!! They saw UFOs 4000 years ago!! So they MUST BE REAL!!" Please, you're gonna have to do a bit better than that. Testimony is testimony, 2 seconds, or 50,000 years old doesn't matter. Both can be tampered with.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Most of Gazrok's point have been debunked ages ago anyways, I guess it's time for him to find something new.
Mixing up religions to make the people in the time in which Christianity started look like ignorant dumbasses is not helping him either.

As for the proof regarding aliens, it's not that watertight Gazrok, at least not as watertight as you make it sound.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
If you're talking about scientific proof, I would definately say God...but, if you're talking about just pure belief, well Aliens...

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hi commonsence, that's a great question! i'll give you my opinnion about aliens. there is no denying that the Bible is a truely reliable source of history, written by eye witnesses during the life of other eye witnesses to it's accounts. This is why i believe it to be true, and concequently God to be real.

I also believe aliens to be real. the thousands,if not millions, who have seen them can't all be lying.

But here is where I differ with most. Many say that if aliens are real then God does not exist because they feel that our idea of God is some how a creation unique to this planet, while other planets would have another concept- if any.

I believe that these aliens are not visiters from another world but are infact from a differnt dimension. Let me clarify that. I don't believe in differnt dimensions like the fourth dimension, but a physical and spiritual dimension.

what is there make up? i don't know.

who are they? i believe they are the powers of the air mentioned in the book of Ephesians in the Bible. i believe that they may have been given the job of ruling the cosmos prior to lucifer's fall. they are most likely part of that 1/3 of the angelic beings who joined in that rebellion. i say part because i believe that God creates everything with a purpose in other words every being God created he gave a specific job to do and the aproppriate body to do it with. at one time they may have been the great curirators of the universe, but since the fall, have lost there position. i don't know for sure but it's a good hypothesis, I think.

what is there ultimate purpose now? I believe that there will come a day very soon when God will initiate a final call to repentance and salvation. I believe that now, more than ever God is pleading with man to take an eternal perspective, to repent of our sins and be saved. The gospel is being preached every where today and people must make a personal choice. When God fianlly says that's it and everyone has choosen, I feel that He will then release these powers from the air to earth, where they will decieve untold miilons into believing they are the saviors of the world. They will be under the command of the great deceiver Satan who will be trown out of the heavens at the same time. This will be a time of such dellusion and will end tragically in the loss of untold millions of souls who will believe the lie.

I hope that this has peeked your interest to reseach it furthor. This is just my oppinion and hypothesis, but I believe that it will someday very soon be a reality.

Graystar

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by aerodog
How can we deny the existence of God?????????????????????????

And what about the billions of devout prayers that go unanswered? Are you suggesting that God won't help someone who is suffering from illness or bereavement, but will help some stupid athletes win a pointless game against some other stupid athletes - or that He'll talk to Dubya?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if what you suggest is true, then God is a capricious, delusional sadist who should be locked up.

And go easy on the punctuation there, buddy, or we'll soon be facing the first ATS Question Mark Drought.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Whatever you believe, it's fairly reasonable you will tend to find evidence of that belief. While nothing is black and white, there will always be room for multiple explanations. Hence you will find the evidence you need to safeguard your belief.

To conclude this rambling, I think the answer to what's harder/easier to believe in lies in yourself - not whatever proof you might find.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Strangelands,

That does not say anything about God, but about how people pray... Let me put it this way, God/the Universe gives you exactly what you send out. If your prayer is a sort of begging (to be healthy), you won't get anything period. Because all you're telling God is "I don't have health, I don't have health, I don't have health" so God will give you more of that "not having health". There is no right or wrong, no bad or good in this. The only factor is where your attention is. There's a bigger explanation for this, but I won't go into that now.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
So you're suggesting that God doesn't understand what people really want? That those who formalise their prayers, who even pray out loud, still aren't expressing themselves clearly? That those people who pray "God, I'm broke, I'm going to be evicted, I really need to win the lottery" are victims of God's lack of perception?

Doesn't say much for God's omniscience, does it?

It seems to me that if you begin with the idea that God is infallible, you're going to inevitably end up in these ridiculous positions where you need to create arcane rules and arbitrary distinctions in order to cover up God's random, capricious nature. Rather, look at the evidence, then decide just how great God is.

He "answered" one person's prayer that some football team should win the championship, but ignores - or misunderstands - the thousands of Christians suffering from terrible diseases?

Allow me to refine my previous statement - if what you say is true, then God is either a sadist or stupid.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
You didn't understand what I'm talking about. Prayer is nothing more than a form of magick. Let's compare it to riding a bike. When riding a bike, do you go forward by peddling backwards? No you can't. In the same way you can't get what you want by putting your attention on what you don't want.

Like I said before, prayer is nothing more than magick. And all forms of magick follow a simple equation: Link to Target (T) + Link to desired Result + Energy = Magick.... T+R+E=M (R and E are dependent, when E =emotional energy. I will explain why later)

Which means that the person must see him/herself (T) actually experiencing the desired result (R) for anything to happen (M). And it happens much faster when there's more emotional energy involved (energy). All effective rituals from all religions and beliefs follow this.

If you are begging the equation becomes like this:

T (which is yourself) + R (which is sickness, not health)+ E, (which is negative emotional energy) = Magickal outcome which is more sickness, not improvement of health

The link to the result should be health, which means that the person praying should see the health as already there in some form, and keep his attention on the health. And the emotional energy E changes automatically to a more positive one when the focus, the attention of the person praying R moves from an undesired thing (sickness) to a desired thing (health). (Eanges from negative to positive when R changes from undesired to desired, when E= emotional energy)

To get health, the person praying must see the health as already being there. That is what real faith is about IMO. That's why they say that the best prayer is a prayer of gratitude... Gratitude that the desired result is already there.

Desirable things all always things that make you feel good and never things that don't make you feel good. This is something very important to understand. The moment you feel other than good during a prayer or ritual, automatically the equation will bring you an undesired result.

The biggest problem is that this goes exactly opposite to the way of thinking most of us have been brought up with: To spend an immense amount of time on putting our attention on undesirable things, while putting a miniscule amount of our attention on desirable things. Just look at the frontpage of your local newspaper, do the headlines make you feel good or not?

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Here's the basis of the God/alien remarks. I am not an atheist. I believe in God the Creator.

God made man in his image. However, if God created the universe he could not be an ordinary mortal. In that sense, it could be said that God is an alien. He certainly did not come from Earth. He just is.

For a combination science/faith explanation go to this direct link:

onealclan0.tripod.com...

Also check out this site: www.onealclan.com... - an End Times and Bible Code site.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here is a google search on affirmative prayer...

www.google.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
i tend not to follow the path of some(thing) that gets 13 year old girls pregnant without asking for first

we reject people from our society (nice way of saying we try and stop them from breathing) around these parts that do things like that , god gets worshipped ?

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join