It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi Religion discrimination! *sigh*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is a real double-standard. A Muslim woman wouldn't be told to take her veil off, but a Jedi is told to remove his hood. The UK is inviting Radical Muslims into their country, giving special treatment to them, and yet an innocent Jedi is harassed and discriminated against.

www.guardian.co.uk...

He says, "I told them it was a requirement of my religion but they just s'n-word'ed and ordered me to leave. I walked past a Muslim lady in a veil. Surely the same rules should apply to everyone."

www.worstpreviews.com...

For those who claim Jediism isn't a "real" religion, than what is a "real" religion? Latter Day Saints, where "golden tablets" disappeared? Islam, where a "prophet" re-wrote the Bible adding his own bias? Seriously, I'd defend this poor kid. He did nothing wrong.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Not to mention that the US Military recognizes Jedi as a valid religious choice. I don't think there are any Jedi Chaplins, though.

Really, Jedi is a combination of several other religions, notable Bhuddism and Hindu. Sure, it was inspired by the movies, but it has its roots in something pretty serious and real.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

But you must admit the response that it must be some kind of joke is not altogether unjustifiable.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Doesn't sound anymore like a joke to me than invisible sky people and talking snakes.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Then of course there are people who marginalize concepts with silly generalizations....

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Then of course there are people who marginalize concepts with silly generalizations....

You mean like what you did in your first post?

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I can understand how some people would consider things like this to be a "joke". Tht is the nature of our culture... laugh at and marginalize anything we think is differant or unusual.

I can totally see some of the people who Mohammads followers were trying to convert saying "you believe in this stuff because a man had a dream about it? Seriously? You sure it's not just because he can kick you a**?"

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
there is already a thread on this incident. Apparently some people in ATS believe it is fine to make fun of different beliefs systems if it comes from a movie. I simply smell double standards from those people.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Pretty much the same thing as scientology. Something with great ideals and truths but mixed with some idiotic beliefs and based on science fiction.

Most people who take up 'paganism' or non-theistic beliefs are just atheists in disguise, people who do it as an ironic sort thing. Just wanting to kind of stick it to christianity or feel like they belong, and sometimes use it as means to bash other beliefs. Liiike your opening post...

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

The validity of any 'religion' that has a dress code should be called into question. Anyone who believes that the Creator cares whether you're wearing a 'banana hammock' or full on formal 'prom wear', or anything inbetween (or even nekked) needs to seriously look at their 'beliefs'. 'Dress codes' are the creation of man, not of the Divine.

Originally posted by Ridhya
Pretty much the same thing as scientology. Something with great ideals and truths but mixed with some idiotic beliefs and based on science fiction.

Most people who take up 'paganism' or non-theistic beliefs are just atheists in disguise, people who do it as an ironic sort thing. Just wanting to kind of stick it to christianity or feel like they belong, and sometimes use it as means to bash other beliefs. Liiike your opening post...

What a delightfully ignorant generalization! Keep up the 'Good Work'!

Most of the Pagans I know, as well as myself, are far more spiritual than most of those who belong to a pre-packaged, ready-to-wear, off-the-rack religion. They actually have to think about what it is they believe, not just memorize what they are supposed to believe.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Wow, I certainly hope you are not referring to me in that statement.

How can you possibly justify claiming my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ignorant?! I hung out with some 'pagans' for a while and they were retarded. It came a time where they say 'so what brought you to this faith?' and what are all the answers?
"I hate the stupid fools who believe in the Bible psshh'"
"They get non-taxable well SO SHOULD I!!"
"Well I liked the idea of telling the future and magic to become rich"

and my absolute favourite ones of all:

"My favourite bands wear the Hammer so I do as well"

Maybe you're different but by your generic 'keep your ignorant faith' kneejerk response I would think otherwise. I wear a mjolnir by the way so dont act like you know my believes.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

First of all paganism, and other such religions are far from being atheists in disguise. Furthermore, simply because you were surrounded by idiots who claimed to be pagan is not indicative of the pagan religions as a whole, and to suggest such is downright ignorant. There are many religions that are "pagan" in nature that are older and richer than anything modern Christianity (Christianity in and of itself is a beautiful religion that has been bastardized.) has to offer, but are forgotten, generalized, or disrespected by people like you who don't bother to be knowledgeable about a subject before they speak.

Respect all religions and the practitioners of said religions, or respect none, don't pick and choose what you think is stupid, because, get this, not everyone can, would, or should believe what you believe simply because you haven't taken the time to understand it.

In short, just because you knew some people that hid behind pagan symbology in order to show their disgust for Christianity is no reason to classify all pagans as such.

Good day to you sir.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by Osiris1953]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

You said "Most people who take up 'paganism' or non-theistic beliefs" not "Most people I know who take up 'paganism' or non-theistic beliefs", so the generalization accusation stands. It is not my fault you keep shallow friends. Expect to be insulted if you are insulting. You were insulting.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
and to suggest such is downright ignorant.

No kidding, maybe why I never said ALL pagans..

but are forgotten, generalized, or disrespected by people like you who don't bother to be knowledgeable about a subject before they speak.

My ass, I know more about Norse culture/religion than anyone here. I can tell you that you certainly are not knowledgeable of me, though.

Respect all religions and the practitioners of said religions, or respect none

For me, that would be respect for all, but pointing out flaw in all.

not everyone can, would, or should believe what you believe simply because you haven't taken the time to understand it.

No kidding, because I do not believe in anything

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Really? I was under the assumption it is a universal 'given' that it is my experience.
When someone goes "most people in the world abhor violence!" I dont go SHOW PROOF! You havent met most people in the world!!
When someone goes "broccoli is disgusting!" I dont scream liar, I know it is their experience.

How was I insulting? You seem to agree with me but just perceive an attack or something because you call yourself pagan too but do not want to be associated with people from MY experience. No kidding. People of all religions do not liek to be associate with others who claim to also be that.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

What is crystal clear is that you are doing whatever you can to start a fight. Making generalized ignorant statements, and then coming back to be oh so knowledgeable and trying to turn it around on those who called you out. I'm done here, this isn't worth my time.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
*sigh* I am really starting to hate this site.
Again, you have no idea anything about me. I have never started a fight in my life. But there is endless supply of people who assume about me.

I am knowledgeable in a lot of subjects, thank you.

What ddid you call me out about? I did not say 'all'. Maybe I should have said many, okay, is that better? Many paganas are just 'rebelling'. Not most I am sorry these words are the same thing to me really.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I see what you are saying to some degree, but unfortunately how your posts were worded, it came off as rather crass and offensive. I usually don't fly off the handle for no reason, but I do have a real issue when I feel people are bashing the beliefs of others. If that was not your intention then I apologize for my response, but you must see where that misunderstanding could have taken place right?

Anyhow, lets just call it a wash, and let me part ways by saying nice to meet you. Unlike so many people on this site, I can admit when I may have been wrong. I don't want you to get jaded about participation on ATS over petty squabbles such as this.

I still don't appreciate some of what appeared to be implied in your posts, but I won't go any further. Maybe we'll meet again elsewhere, and things won't turn out so poorly. In the end I have no issue with you. Have a nice evening.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   

No. Actually all said was a little incredulity is justified given that their chosen beliefs are picked up from popular media, in this case a movie. A little like the justifiable response to someone who believes they maybe something from a movie.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

Paganism has a wide variety of religions just as any major religion. People join for all sorts of reasons as well. Someone might become Catholic because they like the idea of drinking Jesus-blood, or someone becomes Shiite Muslim because they like the idea of waiting for the 12th Immam, or someone becomes a Vodou-follower because they like the idea of many gods with different personalities, or people become Rastafarian because they think smoking mary-j enlightens them. . .

but yes, some people become pagan to rebel. I think everyone has their reasons for joining a religion, and they might not think about it much before deciding.

My idea with this thread was to show that Jediism is a REAL religion. It doesn't matter WHY someone is a part of it. It doesn't promote violence, it has thousands of members, and if a man wants to cover his head for religious reasons, he should be able to without question. . .

especially in Britain, a country which has Islamic Law recognized in some neighborhoods, yet another minority religion is discriminated against.

The Jedi should dominate a neighborhood and create Jedi Law, and see if the British Gov. recognizes it. . . and if not, then they shouldn't recognize Islamic Law either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join