It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe life is so simple?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
There is something inside of me, something that tells me that human kind is meant for something larger. I can't put my finger on it, but I just know that we were not put on this earth to work, and spend money. To drive and repopulate. There just has to be something else. I find as the older i grow (20 now) the more I become unsatisfied with the "reality" we all live in. It saddens me to think the rest of my life I am meant to work. To buy a house, other material desires, and that is all. I constantly find myself thinking something will come, something must come, this can't be it, our purpose.
So i ask you all, fellow ATSers, what is your take on life? What do you foresee, will we continue this viscous cycle of materialism, death, pain and suffering, or will there one day be a greater purpose. All my life I got what i strongly desired, whether it was because of luck, or the Laws of attraction I can not tell, for GOD himself knows I do not contain the ambition to obtain these desires. And through all i have learned, one lesson sticks the hardest. These material possesions do not make me happy. There must be some reason for all of this, life.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
You are only as important as you make yourself.

When everything is so important, it will seem once again like nothing is.

Everything is relative...

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Ah, this kinda goes with the age old question 'What is the meaning of life?'. The thing is, as humans, you can only answer that yourself. I've heard old Myths of the reason for our placement on this Earth that ties in with the Sumerian belief and our intent use but that's just old tales that may or may not be true, depending on what you believe. Though the thing is I do believe humans are meant for more but sadly we've become s greedy and self absorbed as a whole species that most won't discover it.

I've been searching for this and yet haven't found what I've desired. Though the only true reason I've searched is I have an overwhelming desire to gain knowledge, one of the reasons I come to ATS, and because of this I have to keep an open mind. With such an open mind I see things most don't and realize things other remain ignorant to. I'm actually curious as to how to halt the process of aging...but that's a topic for another thread.

But to put it simply, I do believe humans are meant for something more. I believe we have lost sight of that long ago and that we need to refocus ourselves to rediscover it. That's just my view on life and what I think.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Poisson

The meaning of life is to survive and procreate no matter how you dice it.As to the OP,if you truly think your life should follow a different path than it does now,change direction.It's very simple yet very hard to truly do unless you throw yourself into it 100%.And that goes for everyone else,some people like this materialistic society and 9 to 5 existence.Some people don't....up to the person in the end.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
See this thread for your answer:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm afraid it is 'that' simple. Not even a speck of dust. We are biological muck on a speck that through a series of events leaves us with what we have today.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by reasonable]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
When i read your OP i got really excited... You, my friend, are asking questions that i didn’t even think about until I hit my 30's...

My conclusions are this...

Life is meant to be simple. We should not have to work for any other reason than putting food on the table and a roof over our heads.

This system, that we now live in, has trapped us. We have Mortgages, Insurance policies, pension schemes, utility bills, direct debits, credit cards, junk mail, Email, mobile phones etc etc etc...

All of this will eventually drive you mad. It is there for no other reason than to trap you into a lifestyle that supports the system.

My wife and I have now made a decision about our future... We have a 10 year plan to get out of this tangled web of BS and become self sufficient. We want to return to a simpler way of life and we strongly believe that we will be happier doing this.

You are in your 20's... please take my advice... Don’t get a mortgage, don’t get loans, credit cards etc... If you still live with your parents, and are happy with them, get yourself a job (got to play the game a little) and save hard. When you have enough cash get yourself a small house in the country with some land and live stock. Learn to support yourself.

You will be mentally and physically stronger and you will find peace.

Well that’s what I believe anyway... good luck

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Good!!!! probably it takes years to find it...
But we must try...
Good luck in your search.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sgrrsh26

Hey,

I never gave life a thought at your age - good for you!

Here is what I believe you should do.

Think what you want to do.

You are obviously brainy, so study something that interests you.

And then life will flow on, but with some hiccups, but you will get there.

I wish you well.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I flagged this one, because you ask the same questions that I have asked hundreds of times.

1. I believe there is (much) more beyond this life.
2. I believe that when this life is over, we will look back at it and it will seem as if it only lasted a fraction of a second.
3. I don't know 'why' we came here, but I do know it's not to work our asses off or to give power to a selected few.
4. I believe that life on earth is merely a needle point in the Universe and therefor it doesn't have much value in the whole of things.

Whatever the 'grand design' is, or the 'higher purpose', it's not here. Maybe it's beyond, Or beyond beyond... but it certainly is not here!

With that said, I try to have fun in life, do only the things I enjoy and most important: Don't stress over the little things!!! It's not worth it.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

I realize I missed your point.

We all need to find something more.

It is elusive. But sometimes, just living in the day can help.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I know that life as we know it now, is hard. And it is getting harder. Although our forefathers toiled all day to keep a household stocked with food water and neccessities, it was better then. Hunter gatherers were much more satisfied with their lives, they were not daunted by the task at hand, they embraced it, as did the women and their 'chores'. That 'simple life' is what we miss now, we toil and toil for what? To pay more bills that's what! It will never end and it is sooooo unsatisfying to man and woman that we are always searching for happiness in drugs, liquor, things and stuff. This has broken the family structure. Yeah sure there are some who say they are satisfied with their life, their job, but at some point they too will realize that they are missing something, and that something is called 'the simple life'. Man , IMO , was meant to be a hunter gatherer, not doing so has tiltled his scales and he can't quite figure out how to balance them again.

It is not that there is something more to life, it is that there should be less. Materialism is not satisfying.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

A star for you space cadet...

Spot on m8

Many people can’t get their head around the fact that they need less, not more!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
As someone more than twice your age, let me tell you what I have learned. Yes, you still have to work, especially in your 20s and 30s. You need to get some stability and security to really be free.

It's a hard reality but that doesn't mean that's ALL there is. Most of us don't have "rewarding, meaningful" careers so get that outside of your job. You need to find things that do good for society and the world.

Money = energy

Put your energy towards the right things.

Reject buying anything simply for status reasons or because your neighbour has it. That is a waste of your energy. Not satisfying.

Put your money/energy towards your dreams. That might be raising a family, working towards a higher education, building something of value or experiencing life through travel, etc.

Very, very few people know what their purpose is in life in their 20s. Hold on...keep seeking....someday you'll find it.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sgrrsh26
There is something inside of me, something that tells me that human kind is meant for something larger. I can't put my finger on it, but I just know that we were not put on this earth to work, and spend money. To drive and repopulate. There just has to be something else. I find as the older i grow (20 now) the more I become unsatisfied with the "reality" we all live in. It saddens me to think the rest of my life I am meant to work. To buy a house, other material desires, and that is all. I constantly find myself thinking something will come, something must come, this can't be it, our purpose.
So i ask you all, fellow ATSers, what is your take on life? What do you foresee, will we continue this viscous cycle of materialism, death, pain and suffering, or will there one day be a greater purpose. All my life I got what i strongly desired, whether it was because of luck, or the Laws of attraction I can not tell, for GOD himself knows I do not contain the ambition to obtain these desires. And through all i have learned, one lesson sticks the hardest. These material possesions do not make me happy. There must be some reason for all of this, life.

I definately agree with you.

I have been waiting too....

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You're growing up.

I'm going through it, your friends are going through it, your parents went through it.

Talk to your family. Talk to your friends. They may have helpful advice on how to get through the worst of the mental barrages.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

And so the Cultural Dream holds no interest for you. Well done.

It would seem you've begun to move in a different direction to your Indoctrination into the Culture and its Expectations.

There's an old saying that when 'your world' falls apart you are ready to awaken. Looks like you are there now.

Life is simple yet we make it difficult, complex, mysterious in part, have it all indoctrinated into us from birth, modelled by family, media and just about everyone you ever met.

The Cultural Dream is designed to keep us homogenised; within its limitations are small accepted variations, and woe to anyone who breaks out of their mold. They become a "fringe dweller" with no interest in materialism.

Have no fear, you are seeing more clearly what is important and what is not now. Others will try to dissuade you from changing, citing all manner of things to be reasons why you should fit back in. But they are like junkies who do not want to see one of their own break the habit to get clean and clear.

So love them and move ahead on your path.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I've asked myself the same question about a year or two ago, I'm 19 now. I even made a thread sort of about your OP titled "Spiritual path away from a government made lifestyle" -> www.abovetopsecret.com...

I too believe life is simple but we humans complicated it vastly, to me the meaning of life is to live, to go with the flow. Now with that said you can live and go with the flow in society if that what makes you happy, and i can even see myself living in society, but i rather not, i want to travel, see the world, learn new things, new languages, talk to other people across the world, live out in the wilderness, be one with my self, one with all. The best advice i can give you really is to follow your heart. =).

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

How does one feel over doing a simple puzzle? Boring!!

Life is not supposed to be simple, it gets more complicated as we grow older. As a older adult you are supposed to have things. Your supposed to hand over what your children desire.

When a older adult refuses to do such things as conform to what society feels one should, at your age as a older adult, there is other types of obstacles.

Life is supposed to be confusing, traumatic at times, thought provoking etc.. Who wants everything to be easy??

Easy is just way to boring!! Strive for stimulation! Work that muscle we call a brain. It will reward all who take the hard road. Sometimes even throwing caution to the wind is a very rewarding action to take.

Fact is my 19 year old just headed for the city. Taking after me at his age. You got to grab opportunities as they arise, or they might pass you by. Scary as they are..... What are you dreams? Go for them! I remember being young. you got a job telling you when to be there. You got bills telling you when to pay, you may even have parents tell you this or that..... there is time for all that in the future. Because frankly, all these things never go away. These things will always be.....
Youth is for living.... your body will dictate to you when it is time to get old..... You want more, go find it.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The imagination is a great and dangerous thing.

Use it sparingly and learn to use your imagination to uncover the truths that are everywhere around you.

As you start to uncover the truths, you will eventually turn a 180 and think to yourself, "I'm happy with this now."

Why? Because you realize that energy never dies. Do not be afraid.

Anyone who gets stuck in any sort of lifestyle no matter what is stale. Change is what makes us forget to think about these things.

So, the real answer is, keep the mind focusing on different kinds of things all the time and keep learning - but also, let the body get into a healthy routine that the mind need not worry about the body.

One day, you'll get it.

God is timeless and his clay (energy) is as well. You are gonna be okay, and so is your family. And everyone and everything.

People learn at different rates, so forgive those who are so foolish! (That doesn't mean let them get away with their foolishness; but simply to not hold it against them!)

By the way, I'm 25, married, and living on a combined income of 15,000 a year. I have almost no money to myself. I am happier that way.

I'm so happy!! Oh, by the way, invest into a musical instrument. This is a great way to learn about the universe, make yourself and others happy, and also to vent.

Mmhm...

Peace, dude.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcgrower

How does one feel over doing a simple puzzle? Boring!!

Life is not supposed to be simple, it gets more complicated as we grow older. As a older adult you are supposed to have things. Your supposed to hand over what your children desire.

When a older adult refuses to do such things as conform to what society feels one should, at your age as a older adult, there is other types of obstacles.

Life is supposed to be confusing, traumatic at times, thought provoking etc.. Who wants everything to be easy??

Easy is just way to boring!! Strive for stimulation! Work that muscle we call a brain. It will reward all who take the hard road. Sometimes even throwing caution to the wind is a very rewarding action to take.

Fact is my 19 year old just headed for the city. Taking after me at his age. You got to grab opportunities as they arise, or they might pass you by. Scary as they are..... What are you dreams? Go for them! I remember being young. you got a job telling you when to be there. You got bills telling you when to pay, you may even have parents tell you this or that..... there is time for all that in the future. Because frankly, all these things never go away. These things will always be.....
Youth is for living.... your body will dictate to you when it is time to get old..... You want more, go find it.

BORING!?! Haha that sure is funny, as I've been practicing mindfulness each and every moment i endure is full of bliss, even when i think I'm bored I practice being mindful and my boredom is uplifted in the moment, the now. Life is what you make it, its also as hard as you want it to be or easy. All those things never go away? never say never my friend, living is something that's eternal too youth is not for living life is for living. Fact is I too am 19 but my dreams are far different than what society expects out of me, I will travel the world, learn new things, read many books, learn of my true self, help others, live with nature and be one with it, one with all, live forever. =)

To each his own really!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join