It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I bother?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
So i'm faced with having a rubbish interview tomorrow for a job that's too far away to be profitable enough in order to sustain myself. I have no intrest in working 20 hours and commuting 15 miles just to get less a month than I have done on benefits.

Im more than willing to get a job, but when it means waking up at 5am everyday for a hours bus-ride..then barely getting any cash to live on, and coming home tired, depressed and stressed then I'll pass.

My a.hole of a dad reckons this job will pay me enough for a flat/car/other luxuries when it wouldnt even pay for a shopping bill at the end of the week. Now he's threatening to take everything away from me if I refuse to take this job, simply because he has a ego the size of a 747 and thinks I owe him for it because a student of his reccomended it.

Im seriously fed up of talking to a brick wall, so should I bother going to a job interview for a job I don't even want and would end up in me doing something physically stupid to myself..or have my dad treat me like a 15yr old instead of a guy who's now 25 and wants work closer to home that's sustainable.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Go for the interview and fail badly, do all the wrong things and say all the wrong things, make sure theres no hope of them hiring you.

Then you can get a nice letter in the post saying you werent accepted but thanks anyway for applying. You can show this to your dad to shut him up because at least you "tried" and if that doesnt work make up something like the bosses nephew went for the same job or something. So it doesnt look like it was completely your fault that you didnt get the job and then go look elsewhere for a job that you might enjoy or you can become a bum.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Go to the interview, and do your best and hope you get the job. Why? Because it can lead to promotions and other prospects. It gets you IN.

Then you can work on something better there or somewhere else. But any money is better then no money.

I took a 4$ an hour paycut from something not great in the first place. But after 2 months of busting my ass I am being looked at for the supervisor position.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Dude no, that advice wont get him far. Think about it. He has to get up at 5 am and work til late for a job with less than average pay, where he will be barely able to sustain himself let alone buy luxuries to help him relax after a long day. He will be tired, stressed and depressed as a result. He will have barely any money or time to go out and his social like will take a serious hit.
This will then negatively affect how he works everyday and he will certainly not be getting a promotion if he is not happy with life or his job.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
My a.hole of a dad reckons this job will pay me enough for a flat/car/other luxuries when it wouldnt even pay for a shopping bill at the end of the week. Now he's threatening to take everything away from me if I refuse to take this job, simply because he has a ego the size of a 747 and thinks I owe him for it because a student of his reccomended it.

Im seriously fed up of talking to a brick wall, so should I bother going to a job interview for a job I don't even want and would end up in me doing something physically stupid to myself..or have my dad treat me like a 15yr old instead of a guy who's now 25 and wants work closer to home that's sustainable.

From what you are stating, your @hole of a dad is paying many of your bills. You are 25 years old and do not want to get a job because of a one hour bus drive? I think you have your priorities mixed up. Your father could put you out on your @ss, and have you go at it alone.

You should be thankful you have a place to stay that you will not get kicked out of if you miss any rent.

It is never easy to live with a parent when one is an adult. I know that as I had to live with mine briefly a while back ago. I made sure to get any job that paid, and would look for a better one when I had a job that was less than desirable.

Go to the job interview, and do your best. You can always network and find out if there is anything open. You may find a better job outside of the company. (I want to really go out on a rant, but I am being nice.)

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

I also want to state that I am a father of young men who are now in their 20s. I would still do anything for them and assure them the success in life. If they needed a place to stay, they could stay with me. I also would try to find them work if they needed a job. They would accept any employment even if it did not pay much and did suck as they knew I would help them in finding something better.

I do not want to come across as a hard @ss either, but I will not edit my original response as it came from the father in me.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
So i'm faced with having a rubbish interview tomorrow for a job that's too far away to be profitable enough in order to sustain myself. I have no intrest in working 20 hours and commuting 15 miles just to get less a month than I have done on benefits.

Im more than willing to get a job, but when it means waking up at 5am everyday for a hours bus-ride..then barely getting any cash to live on, and coming home tired, depressed and stressed then I'll pass.

Life sucks ...Get A job

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
dude i feel you,however my father is very good,he wants me to get a job that i would like.
i was trying a bartender job in one lazy scumplace,but the staff were such idiots,it was so stressfull,6 days in week,8 hours a day,for not enough money,so i sayd screw them,its better being security guard,so im also looking for a nice job...i dont care...i dont like working with people who are rude,,,i dont like being depresed,i dont care that itsa crysis,i would live in the woods,eat pinecones,and be one with nature,rather get stress and depress all day

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well turns out I got to the store today and the interview I was recommended was for a non-existant job. I saw who I was supposed to only for her to come back 5 minutes later and tell me that particular store wasnt doing any interviews that day nor did they have any open vacancies. I guess it all turned out alright in the end.

I still dont see the point in why I have to work in the first place, im not a collective person, Im not materialistic and personally LIFE is more important to me than how much Cash i'll have in the bank at the end of the month. Whats so wrong with simply just wanting to live in a small flat, out of harms way where I wont cause anyone any bother and just simply have a few pennies for food/water and a bed.
Why should my social avoidance have to change simply to conform to standards set by people I dont even know in order to fulfill THEIR agenda of further taxing me, exploiting me through work ethics and bullying tactics, only to come home and have the notion I have to do it all again. I dont want to live off cash, I want to live off knowledge and experiences and how can I have all that when im between 4 walls 24/7 all my life with a bank balance in the thousands that wont attribute to anything after im dead.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Simply - if you want to rent a room someone else will have to provide it for you and be responsible for its maintenance.

If you want food and water someone else will have grown the food and cleansed the water so it's fit for human consumption.

In other words you are relying on other people to provide for your needs. People who probably feel as you do, but who recognise that if you want to benefit from society you have to be prepared to participate in it and contribute to it.

Many of us do jobs we hate. We'd all rather spend more time with our friends and families and enjoy our hobbies. We don't all expect to make a fortune. The way things are stacked it's unlikely that we will.

BUT - we understand that it's important, for our own self respect and personal growth, that we put something back in.

If you get the chance, take a job. Be prepared to make the horrible journey to and from it. Do your best. Get promoted. If there's no chance of promotion, find a better job. Which you will be able to do if you can expect a good reference from your employer.

There's nothing to stop you studying for something you really want to do in your spare time. Use the time on the bus to read and learn something. Or get a bike and ride so you'll be good and fit.

Get a job as a night watchman if you want to avoid people and have time to study.

As long as you don't end up down a coal mine, there is very little to complain about if you have to get a job.

new topics

top topics

join