It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I don't watch TV myself and I haven't owned a TV in years; so I am not very familiar with home entertainment technologies.

I was reading about 3D TV which will be affordable in the next few years.
The article stated that the technology finally chosen will probably be the one backed by the Blu-ray consortium.

My question is will Blu-ray still be around in a few years time, it's seems old fashioned technology with a spinning plastic disc.

Won't video be recorded and played on flash memory drives by then. The memory call also have some processing power for DRM.

Or just streamed straight to your TV on demand similar to BBC Iplayer.

Whats every ones thoughts?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I hope not, i love collecting dvd's/blu ray's as sad as it sounds i like something i can touch and when i have completed a collection of a series etc it look's good on the shelf.

I would think it is a long way off yet before everything is download only etc but i admit i do plug flash drive's into my tv to view thing's ive downloaded frequently.

3d tv sounds interesting but imo you would only get the best out of it if it was a huge screen which not everyone has room for or can afford.

good idea though.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Thank you for your reply valiant.

As you have the collections of DVD's, do you watch them often, or are they just on the shelf like a book. Do you let friends borrow them? or are you afraid they will scratch them?

I think the biggest challenge for 3D is being able to sit directly in front and not at an angle, but it will be interesting.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Today I saw this short article in the Telegraph

The future of TV

The comments are *very* interesting

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I do watch them often, because it's interesting how many little thing's you can miss in a movie with just one viewing, plus a good story is a good story and worth going back to.

I do lend them out yes, apart from the one's which are unavailable anymore (mainly some of my cartoon boxsets).

Good point about 3D tv, i did think this myself too.

new topics

top topics

join