It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My daughter was pinned to the bed on Fri by Derren Brown through the TV

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DjSharperimage

Thanks for posting those videos. An excellent contribution. They deserve a thread of their own and I suggest you start one. That is something everyone should be made aware of. Before I watched them I was fairly neutral about FOX.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Yay, allow me to exercise my psychological knowhow

Its all very simple, the 'self-centred' principle in play, did no one else notice "those who have a well balanced bright creative personality" will be able to do this? You're not uncreative, are you?! Its like 'its unpatriotic to not support war'. You support your country dont you?!
What about
"those with best talent for responding to the film"
So now its a talent? You want to be talented!

Then he just tries to implant that it is impossible to "try in vain to unstick yourself" and he lists cemented welded etc all things that to us means INSEPERABLE!!

The 'video' portion is useless its purpose is to make the mind and nerves go lax, soothing music and stagnant picture, makes so you dont have to think, with no new input you can focus on the past, ie. when he mentions being stuck!

Mob mentality: watching his group of people unable to move makes you more likely to (I believe the word is) emanate them, they may even be actors. But the phenomena is still real.

So really it is just

Pandering (to your ego)
Dictating (what you can and can not do, as fact)
Stagnating (make you more susceptible to suggest)
Mob (make it look like the norm)

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DjSharperimage

This guy has a good basic understanding for someone with admittedly no training. However with the constant refrence to sorcery he is doing heavy damage to his position. That he doesn't understand Colbert is a joke also throws his credibility into question. Which really is sad. People need to hear this, and grasp what is happening to them.

NLP is very real. It is taught to car sales people, cops, politicians, pr reps and millions of other people. Every one is actively being coerced by NLP, enviromental triggers and covert pressures all day. Media, corporations, and politicians rely on these forms of mental coercion to maintain there positions of power. From the tempo of the music played while you shop, to the phrasing of a newsman's question, it is all carefully crafted and coordinated for maximum impact.

Any one interested in an introduction to these topics should read Douglas Rushkoff's book Coercion: Why we listen to what "they" say.

All of that said I still gave the post a star. It is a great way to nudge people in the right direction.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Maybe your daughter knows how gullible and ignorant you are?
Children often make our fantasys a reality.... out of spite or love.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
lol Blupblup

only half that u tube worked but I got the idea

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
Weird things is I cannot see it everytime I watch - can you see it everytime?

I mean I am focusing like crazy and I cannot see it consistently.

Indeed. That could have to do with monitor refresh timing or not actualizing the full video frame rate but on my laptop it is pretty much consistent in appearance.

Also @ 1:15 there is a tone that punctuates the word STUCK...

That punctuates the cartoon image there as well.

[edit on 9/21/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

Really?

The whole thing should work?

there is a bit of compression at the start for about 7 secs but then it plays fine?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I don't think it was the small clip on it's own I believe he had been preparing people watching throughout the whole show for it I don't think watching the clip would have any effect without the rest of the show beforehand.

I'll be honest though I didn't much like the idea of being stuck to the seat and didn't really pay much attention to the clip when it was shown.

No doubt it did have the effect on some people though but I wasn't taking the chance just in case and I suspect a lot of people did the same.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
To anyone who has read Derren Brown's book, the way the show worked was plainly obvious.

Everything leading up to the last five minutes of the show was standard Derren Brown magic and misdirection and it's purpose was to convince the audience that they would be subliminally influenced (even though that had nothing to do with people being stuck to their chairs).

Hypnotism only works because people on some level believe it is going to work. What we saw at the end of the program was DB suggesting that you WOULD be stuck to the chair and every other sentence out of his mouth indirectly re-enforced this. The subliminal frames inserted into the picture and the 'subliminal video' were just there as window dressing. In fact, he even said at the end of the show that no subliminal techniques were used in the video - he used 'other techniques'.

The power of suggestion.

I didn't get stuck to my seat, but then that's because I knew exactly how the show was going to pan out after the first 15 minutes. Even so, I was feeling a tingling in my legs when he was running through his hypnotic suggestion script and would have probably been affected if I had let myself.

To sum up...Derren Brown is fantastic...but don't trust him

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
All, thanks for the replies, I posted this to say that yes - something funny did happen in my household.

Wertgaf - My daughter does know how gullable and ignorant I am, she's my daughter(actually you do raise a serious point - I may be more susceptible to gullibility and will not be attending any hypnotist conventionms!). Defining "gullibility" may not be easy. Physilogically I know I can produce Alpha rhythms very easily (I have been tested with an EEG for alocal university experiment and was told this when I was in my teens)

It was not the subliminal message (3 milliosceond picture of a person tied to a chair) that worried me so much, I saw a cartoon but did not know what it was - as you rightly point out - this has been happening in cinema and was banned.

It was the subtle suggestions going on all the time (so subtle I can't even name them but e.g. the construction of his words to help you fall into the spell).

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

Nothing but an entertainer..................enough said! he is the **** of uri - I so believe NOT!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Derren is very good at what he does and is always a great watch.

The guy has OCD, and as such that is one of the reasons he is so good at what he does. He was winning big bucks as a teenager counting cards and got banned from some places for it.

I didn't get stuck to my chair, in my head i was thinking 'I know i won't' so that probably helped.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join