It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Little Blue Dot.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Simply amazing.

Shows you the possible truth that there is other life out there..other "dots" just like our very own....

But why on earth would They want to visit us? I'm sure there is a Solar System out there that is about 20 times more interesting and entertaining.

We're just another planet with species inhabiting it.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
This picture should be the Flag for planet earth.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beauty_HairyBeast
Oh how insignificant we are!

We truly are a dot in the universe and its good to be reminded of this.

I beg to differ.

We are not insignificant but are rare and precious. We have value. The fact that we are part of something so vast and aware of our existence in this expansive universe is a true gift.

;-)

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnD

Originally posted by Beauty_HairyBeast
Oh how insignificant we are!

We truly are a dot in the universe and its good to be reminded of this.

I beg to differ.

We are not insignificant but are rare and precious. We have value. The fact that we are part of something so vast and aware of our existence in this expansive universe is a true gift.

;-)

I wouldn't go that far. We're not that special compared to (perhaps) other advanced species that exist out there in the beyond....

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Hey,

I think that the pale blue dot concept is great and it does put things into perspective ... if only for a second.

Whilst we might just be a pointless blue dot in the vast expanse of space WE are actually our world to ourselves as individuals. Our existence is our world and our existence is all that we need to consider to give our life a purpose.

This existence is all that we have and to call that insignificant is an insult to some people. Our existence is the most important thing that we, as individuals, have ever and will ever experience.

It might be insignificant on a gigantic scale but we do not live each day on a gigantic scale. We live each day on OUR scale and our scale is as big as it needs to get because it cannot individually get any bigger. Our problems are massive to us as an individual and so they engulf our existence regardless of how small we are on a gigantic scale.

This is hard to explain ... I hope you get where I am coming from with this.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I was looking for an avatar ... found it

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

For some strange reason we as a species feel that this blue dot is too small for us. We can look at it from outer space and we get the feeling that there has to be more for us. our home feels too small.
There should be a good reason we feel like this but it's a mystery why we do feel this way. Maybe the greatest mystery in our entire recorded existence.

Quoting Carl Sagan from the blue dot video:

the earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena

We have the potential to change this arena, maybe we already doing it, or even been doing it since millennial and maybe we are not aware of this. Us, in this small blue dot..
We must go forward to find out.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
I was looking for an avatar ... found it

haha glad i could bring the picture to your attention,

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
How many angels can dance on the head of a cosmic dust mote?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I love this pic, I look at it when I get overly stressed at work or with other things in general and it reminds me that at the end of the day, that report, that paper, that assignment, the random argument with someone on the street etc isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme. I'm not saying we as humans are insignificant, just in the view of the big picture we are a tiny piece of a much much much bigger canvas.

It just puts life in perspective for me, although sometimes it makes me regret that I will never live long enough to see the galaxy in person for myself. That would be my single biggest regret ( so to speak ) at this point in my life.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

In a non-local, holographic universe - local matters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join