It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How cooking helped us to evolve

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

How cooking helped us to evolve

www.timesonline.co.uk

It is the ultimate domestic cliché: a woman, pinafored and dutiful, tending a stove all day in preparation for her husband’s homecoming. As soon as he walks in, the ritual can begin: family members take their seats around the table (he sits at the head, of course) and dinner is served. Our couple are reliving a scene that has played out billions of times in our history because gender roles — husband at work all day, woman as homebody — have been forged not by relatively recent social conventions but by our distant evolutionary past.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I am really not sure where this should be filed under, so I put it here for now. Perhaps it can be moved if a moderator can decide upon where to put it.

What does it cover?
1) Health (Medical)
2) Evolution (Creationism)
3) Ancient Civilization

I can keep on going, but I think you get my point. Now, on to my comments!

The whole calorie intake thing makes a whole lot of sense to me. If we eat concentrated food (meat) vs. uncooked food (foraging), it would allow us to perform more for longer, giving us the ability to change from gathers to hunter/gatherers. We need energy to build things, to make things, to think about things. For the people who say raw food is better, this part caught my attention:

Cultural, historical and culinary clues point to the plausibility of Wrangham’s intuition. There is no society on Earth that does not cook; not a single people exists on raw food alone. The most remote hunter-gatherer tribes might not have microwaves, but they still pack beans in hot rocks. While the idea of modern humans as carnivores is well-established, our bodies cannot fend off toxins and bacteria found in raw meat, as you would expect if we had evolved to eat it uncooked. It is incredibly hard for us to bite into and digest raw tubers, such as potatoes. And there are no reliable accounts of survivors lasting for more than a couple of months on raw food; even the survivors of the 1972 Andes plane crash are reported to have cooked their fellow passengers before eating them.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Very interesting stuff. Fire made us who we are today. Got to love evolution.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I was reading this post thinking "where's the conspiracy?"

then i read this in the article:

"If you feed a chimp cooked food for tens of thousands of years, I find it hard to believe that it would end up looking like the same animal."

what?? i can't believe that they have a chimp that can live for tens of thousands of years!? thats amazing! i want to see this chimp, pictures, i need proof.

i wonder what type of "cooked food" they are feeding it. its no wonder they keep that info from us, they don't want us to discover that we too can become virtually immortal.

and god bless fox for acclimating the far right on the ideas of evolution!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread..

Personally, I couldn't give up cooked meat. I love it!

A big pat on the back to the first caveman (or woman) who accidentally dropped the dinner in the fire.

I certainly believe it would have done a lot for the health issues at the time and provided a longer and healthier life for those that used the new culinary wonder.

Yummy!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
You know what, I agree with that assessment to a point. Just look at the 50's and preceeding years, however the 50's for the epitome of the condition. However where I verge is in the 60's and 70's the paradigm changed. Feminism became the push to get the womn out of the mother/cook role and into society on equal footing. And regardless it has been successful. I was born in 76. I have had 6 girlfriends and 2 wives. Only 1 of them actually KNEW how to cook food. It could be that their mothers were strong supporters of the feminism movement and taught thier daughters not to fall into that role. I don't know, that was just the way it was. It could also be said that they were young and fell into the 90's-new millenium mindset for women that bucked home life. Either way when I went to culinary school about 4 years ago, the ratio of men to women was 3-1. I think things have been turned upside down, for whatever that is worth. Honestly I think this "evolution" could have been for the best as it allows our women to finally utilize thier abundant mental skills( as well as different) to attack problems that we as men have been screwing up for ages...lol. Honestly, as a chef, I have no problem with cooking and making sure my "other" is well fed. (LAdies this is only my opinion)Women seem to enjoy and relax more than men when a great meal is presented and enjoyed. And as a man, the benefits of her happiness, are boundless...

[edit on 20-9-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by feedpeopletosharks

That's why it is called a "hypothetical scenario". It's clearly inferred that is what it is meant as, I see nothing that infers they are claiming they actually have a chimp that will live for thousands of years.

/facepalm

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
what?!?!?!

cooking of food?!?!?!

This is about fire. Humans are the only animal that control fire. There is proof of humans controlling fire for at least 700,000 years. It isn't just about cooking, it's about having an advantage over all other animals on earth. All animals instinctively are afraid of fire, and all humans instinctively know how to control fire. We are like gods, compared to all other animals.

People can and DO live off raw food, by the way. Some foods need to be cooked to properly digest, like most beans, but meat is not one of them.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is really about neither food nor fire but hearthsides and the ideas
of home and gender-identified social orders. Men are stronger and faster
and did the hunting which left the women at home to forage and process
the meat and hides the men brought back. It was a good system until
some nitwit thought women needed to hunt too and now look - they
even go fight in wars, yippeee ! thats really evolving, right?

You're right about them turning the order upside down, what better way
to help destroy the family unit? Modern kids have the audacity to tell adults
what to do now. Divide and conquer in one more facet of our lives.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Need is what sparks a change.
The nutrituion side may have some credence, but they also may have eaten their meat raw....
Fire was technology. It was really one of our first technoligal discoveries how to create it, the tools to spark it, how to confine it, then how to use it.
We still use it very much

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
All animals instinctively are afraid of fire

Tell that to all the moths then.

new topics

top topics

join