It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrating Muslim Eid today as an Ambassador of Goodwill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

No, thank YOU for the beautifull thread! I am honored.
You have a good night my friend!
Hope to talk soon! G' nite!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I agree with You dodadoom. I will never look at mid Sept. the same way again. I am very grateful to Proto for presenting a little Islamic culture here on ATS. I keep "intent" for a better World

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I don't celebrate my own born into religion, I certainly ain't gonna celebrate someone else's especially considering the mess that the EID riots caused at the BowlPlex last night.

Loud, obnoxious, drunk, violent and arrogant, my interpretation of the people from EID after being stuck in it last night.

Of course such a mamby pamby "Look how PC I am thread" won't care for my obviously racist experiences is.

Go ATS and thanks for the recent "Racism is Ignorant" U2U, I love hearing how this place is more and more like th MSM media everyday, how I feel and My experiences are my own and I don't need to be told that the way I perceive and interpretate events and situation are wrong and that I am in someway wrong for the way I feel for being brought up in the hell hole and around these "peace loving" people.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
That is wonderful! Thank you so much for taking your time to help people feel connected - the world is truly a better place because of you, and actions like this.

Eid Mubarak! To those who celebrate Eid and Ramadan, and to those who simply care about others!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
A great message OP - well done.
On similar lines, I had a dispute with a neighbour. I was totally convinced that I was in the right - but still, I ended it one day by taking him round a 6 pack and saying that life was too short to argue.
Things changed completely after that.
Not saying it will always work, but if more people reached out, the world would be a better place. We can all make a difference.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

I guess thats what any other religion thinks, when it sees us celebrating St. PAtricks day.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
What a great thing to do, Proto! S&F!
My Iranian friend's family farm dates in Iran & import them to the UK. They know I love them, so they always send me a good sized box @this time of year. I send them the most pointless bizarre thing I've found in the shops recently, as they're so rich that ordinary gifts, that I could afford, wouldn't be much use, but a good laugh is always cool! This year I sent them a little machine that peels apples: its uber-stupid!
I've never thought to involve myself in Eid with anyone else though, other than just to say "Happy Holidays" type of thing. Still, now I'm living in an area full of Muslims, I think I'll give it a go. Nuts sounds like a good plan!
I've also been on the phone to most of my Jewish relatives too, which is always slightly odd since we're not a particularly close family & actually, if they knew the half of what my life's about, they wouldn't approve! Still, they like it & like you said, its no skin off my nose to accomodate them.
Again, what a cool thing to do. Well done you sir!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

I'm all for that.
The more tolerance, acceptance and understanding; the better off everyone will be.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

So I determined that I would do something to celebrate Eid today and made a mental checklist of the Muslim shopkeepers in my neighborhood and decided a gift of simple fruits and nuts combined with happy Holiday wishes would be in order.

Thats actually absolutely wonderful ! When I first read the first paragraphs I wasn't sure where you were going, but this is great. I applaud you !!

I used to know a young lad from another forum, always chirpy, funny, having a laugh, and it was only one time during Eid that he mentioned that he was extra excited as he'd be getting lollies and sweets and all his family would be together feasting, that I realised he was Muslim and living in the middle east - I wish I could remember exactly where he said, but it's too long ago now.

I mean, this was a gaming forum for one of the silliest games ever made, Serious Sam, and he was part of our family I suppose you could say. We all had a very family orientated attitude, and looked out for each other. He fit right in.

I realised then that for all the hate in this world, somewhere, some kid is still being a kid, still looking forward to the good that comes from sharing with family and friends and despite the ignorance and arrogance of a world hell bent on self destruction, he was happy to be a part of a small global community who shared a common interest.

I genuinely felt his excitement when he told us all about how they'd celebrate. So easy to forget things like that.

Again, I applaud you, we need more people like you, not only to remind us, but for your actions and for doing the very things this world needs to bring back the understanding that we're all humans together!!!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I don't celebrate my own born into religion, I certainly ain't gonna celebrate someone else's especially considering the mess that the EID riots caused at the BowlPlex last night.

Celebrating a ritual and celebrating through ritual are two different things. Here in the United States many Americans celebrate Cinco De Mayo Day (Mexican Independence) even though they are not Mexican. Paying respect to some other groups festivities by joining in it as a guest and celebrating the ritual is just that, and simple good manners. If you wish to be the beneficiary of good manners typically it helps to first display them.

Loud, obnoxious, drunk, violent and arrogant, my interpretation of the people from EID after being stuck in it last night.

You have described in remarkable detail every English/European Football/Soccer Game! Do you have the same reaction when those festivities become boisterous and unruly or are that different because you are more culturally familiar and accepting? Are you sure it wasn’t a football/soccer match? My understanding is most Muslims don’t drink and Eid is a family holiday.

Of course such a mamby pamby "Look how PC I am thread" won't care for my obviously racist experiences is.

Well considering your talking about a religious bias towards a multi-ethnic group of people that’s not racist as there is no singular race involved! People from all nations and colors choose to be religious in many various sects. Your post smacks more of an agenda as opposed to a singular, realistic or actual experience. I would dare wager you are attempting to be politically correct for a predisposed group of peers who think in similar ways.

Go ATS and thanks for the recent "Racism is Ignorant" U2U, I love hearing how this place is more and more like th MSM media everyday, how I feel and My experiences are my own and I don't need to be told that the way I perceive and interpretate events and situation are wrong and that I am in someway wrong for the way I feel for being brought up in the hell hole and around these "peace loving" people.

People’s perception becomes their reality and I am sure based on how you state your perceptions it is your reality, but like everyone else’s reality it is unique to you. Some people see the glass half full, some people see the glass half empty while others are in fact running on empty. The world is what you make it friend, and sometimes it’s not whether you win or loose the game but how you play the game that matters most. As a proud ancestral English man, I am most proud of my manners and decorum. They are the hallmark of English civilization. Am I to understand that’s no longer the case? Thanks for posting!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Now we need muslims to celebrate christmas and easter!

I don't see that really is what was the point here, I see one person taking a personal choice to make a difference.

That's no where near an obligation; it's a unique and outstanding thing in and of itself.

I hope the thread doesn't denigrate into another christian/muslim argument. It would sully the entire point I got from the OP.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by Ridhya

I can get behind snowflake day, when are we celebrating.

Curry it is! Thanks for posting friend.

Discrimination!!

We don't get Snow in Western Australia where I live.

Spose I'll just eat this sparkling Aussie beach sand instead 8[

Curry otoh, now, why be half way there, when you have chills to make your body know you're alive, and how !!! 8] jalapenos are god's gift to us salivatory sadists..
)

Speaking of good will, that reminds me, one of the people I used to know on that forum I mentioned previously, knew I loved chili... He's in the US and I'm in AUS, and he sent - would not take a cent off me - a bottle of the hottest chili sauce I've ever EVER tasted - had a warning on the label ensuring not to give it to children or the elderly, or those with asthma.

This thread is awesome on so many levels, it's reminded me of so many old memories aswell as nary raised a negative comment.

It should be stickied if ATS ever did that.

I cant flag nor star enough!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Thanks for the kind words my friend. My original post was about illustrating many things, and the first part of it is that some people are fostering, and promoting an atmosphere of true fear.

One of the things I was trying to show was that the person doing this, in this case, even though he has a vastly different world view than mine as to be almost complete polar opposites in perspective I still consider him a friend, and a dear friend.

I think people can agree to disagree as friends and thats an important lesson these days as more and more political factions and nations take a 'you are with us or against us' in other words you either agree entirely with us and think as we do or you are our enemy and we will view you no differently than someone actively plotting against us, simply because you are not for us.

So I was trying to illustrate the challenges in those types of friendships but that to me is a friend is a friend, is a friend regardless of how much I agree with their views.

The second thing I was trying to illustrate that even in a time of fear and distrust that is no reason to not trying to reach out and bridge the gap between what you fear and mistrust.

Most fears are simply based on the imagined, in other words a lack of real information. Isolating one's self in a time of fear only compounds and deepens the fear and gives greater life to the illusions that comprise ones fears as they fester and grow in a vacuum that lacks quality information.

So rather than do that I first decided to learn more. What are they talking about with these Holidays? Why are the various sides celebrating them for what purpose and how do they do their celebrations.

When I found out what Eid actually was I almost laughed it would be like saying that Christians would select Christmas to launch a war.

Alright George Washington's example at Trenton with the Hessians aside it's not a common practice in how Europeans fight wars, and it's doubtful it would be a common practice either in how Easterners fight wars.

I found out two important things, the Eid is a lot like Christmas and Eid is a much more subdued affair for Muslims living in Western Nations that don't universally celebrate as it is in Eastern nations.

I found out that the overall percentage of Muslims in the U.S.A. is relatively small.

Less than 5% of the population and that because it is such a small community and it's a universal holiday for them they are unable to celebrate it here to the same extent and that's a rather sad occurence for them.

I spend most of my holidays alone so I know what sad occurence on Holidays is. I can empathize.

So I adopted a similiar strategy as I do on Christmas Time. In my business and I work for myself Muslims are represented in my clientel at about the same percentage as they are nationally. I felt they would all be happily off work celebrating with their families, I sent text messages and phone calls to those Muslims.

Yet I thought like I do on Christmas of the people behind the counters having to work, making the holiday doubly sad. At Christmas time I take a survey of who is going to be working on Christmas Day at the shops and stores I frequent and put them on my gift list. Because I have no family locally then on Christmas Day I visit those shops and stores and give gifts to those who have to work. Most of them are poorer minimum wage earners and single mothers who invest most of what little they have in making the Holidays as enjoyable for the youngsters in their world and are often overlooked themselves. So I remember them with a gift and sometimes it's the only gift they ended up recieving themselves for Christmas. It makes them feel very good and me feel very good too.

So yesterday it was the same type of people only Muslims isntead of Christians and Eid instead of Christmas but the same basic principal of giving to those you appreciate and love on a special and festive meaningful occassion to them.

I likened myself to Eid Claus because of the similairities, same stuff different day, different way to steel myself to cross the cultural divide and rationalize what I was doing and why.

I recieved a bounty of good will and joy in return, that was also something universal and was given too in return in fact something I found quite nice to recieve, tasty cookies and pastries but most and best of all warm smiles and thanks and happiness and joy.

There is a lot written into my post that in many ways runs the whole gambit of the Macro by reducing it to micro.

Thanks for your encouraging words, they mean a lot to me friend.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive
That is wonderful! Thank you so much for taking your time to help people feel connected - the world is truly a better place because of you, and actions like this.

Eid Mubarak! To those who celebrate Eid and Ramadan, and to those who simply care about others!

Thank you my friend, as I pointed out to a critic of my actions what I did and why I did was to celebrate a ritual I think we all love to celebrate and that is the ritualization of love and kindness and giving and peace.

I know the ritual is also meant to celebrate G-d as a part of a religion and that's why people are celebrating and creating a ritual to do it.

I don't have to (please forgive me no offense is meant) to belong to that same religion or even believe in that same G-d to acknowledge and respect and love the people who do and celebrate it through a ritual.

I can in fact celebrate the ritual itself as I celebrate those people who enjoin in it, by enjoining in it myself.

When Americans celebrate Mexican Independence Day it's not because some one agrees or disagrees with the North American Free Trade Agreement, loves the politics of Felippe Caulderon or is about to join the Zappata Seperatist Movement, it's because they love the Mexican people and celebrating with them and for them.

I don't have to be a Muslim to love Muslims either, I don't have to know everything that goes into being a Muslim to respect that they are Muslims and that it is meaningful and important to those that are.

My Muslim friends have long called me a 'Cousin' a term of familiar endearment for someone they consider a friend.

Eid is about celebrating with the extended family.

As a 'Cousin' that makes me extended family!

It would in fact based on that principal of family, not to celebrate my extended family's holiday!

The 'Cousins' that I gave gifts too and gave me gifts in return where in fact quite pleased a 'Cousin' came to call.

I think it's important for people to understand who fear the Muslim world that Muslims like to think of Christians and Gentiles as 'Cousins' part of the family.

Muslims have gotten a lot of bad press for political reasons that have to do with government of nations and religions and it's simply as unwarranted as it is unfair because like it or not if you are a human being we are all 'Cousins'. All part of one great big family and it should be a happy family and not a dysfunctional one.

My Cousins welcomed me yesterday and treated me kindly and warmly and that in many ways proves it can be one great big happy familly and in reality it ought to be.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
A great message OP - well done.
On similar lines, I had a dispute with a neighbour. I was totally convinced that I was in the right - but still, I ended it one day by taking him round a 6 pack and saying that life was too short to argue.
Things changed completely after that.
Not saying it will always work, but if more people reached out, the world would be a better place. We can all make a difference.

An excellent point it is far easier to make love than to make war and a lot more fun even though in some cases it obviously leads to a hangover!

Have a bloody marry and two aspirins and call me in the morning to arrange the bill!

Thanks for sharing that and posting, an excellent point and addition indeed.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios

I guess thats what any other religion thinks, when it sees us celebrating St. PAtricks day.

You hit the nail right on the head there. What's culturally familiar keeps us in our comfort zones, what isn't culturally familiar often causes people to become uncomfortable for lack of experience and familiarization with the culture.

Great point, thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Thanks for posting my friend and sharing your own great experiences on this subject.

To me it's about respecting people, letting people know you respect them by simply acknowledging in a respectful and participatory way you do respect them and understand them.

People ultimately crave validation from everyone around them and the more that they recieve it the safer and secure and more accepted they feel.

Why let people worry you might be out to get them or not like them, when you can just display your not and you do love them.

It's a simple premise that would end a lot of the misperceptions and fears and even violence in the world.

Choosing universal type rituals that we all have in some form or fashion to do this is well an opportunity that it one that ought to be siezed.

Luck is when determination meets opportunity and Eid is the perfect opportunity to show Muslims you care, and care about them.

Thanks for posting my friend and Happy New Years to you.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

I'm all for that.
The more tolerance, acceptance and understanding; the better off everyone will be.

It also throws a huge monkey wrench in the plans of the Powers that Be friend Warren. When they can't get us to remain ignorant and fight one another over misconceptions and perceptions it makes them much harder pressed to justify that awfully expensive and destructive military industrial complex.

Short circuit the system!

Thanks for posting friend.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

No, thank YOU for the beautifull thread! I am honored.
You have a good night my friend!
Hope to talk soon! G' nite!

You are welcome and thank you my friend. You sure have displayed the spirit and compassion I was hoping to illustrate to others and show to others that we all have inside of us.

Your words and participation helped in so many ways that are a credit to us all!

It is likewise a great honor to have in you such a noble and considerate hearted friend.

I look forward as always to hearing more from you and sharing!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
we should start celebrating all religions big holidays as we do Christmas, not only would it be fun, but we would get days off from work!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join