It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyprus Tornado 18-09-09

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
A tornado hit the City of Nicosia on Friday, causing substantial damage and injuring 17 people on the Mediterannean Island. Although tornadoes/spouts aren't uncommon in the area, for one of this size so late in the season its gotten forecasters in the area a bit more on edge as storms initiated over Italy from a Cold Front into the weekend.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

That's peanuts in comparison to what I've seen, have ever seen what an F4 can do to a refinery. I watched a video my uncle taped back in 1987 of a tornado that ripped through the east side of my hometown not only did it destroy half of a refinery, it killed 27 people when it was all over.

[edit on 9/19/2009 by Big Oil]

[edit on 9/20/2009 by Big Oil]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Lol a F5 would relocate your home for certain, the Cyprus Tornado (possibly Landspout im now thinking) was no more than F2 at best, the problem is much of the funnel wasn't picked up by visual debris so its hard to make out the structure, but seeing the damage with entire houses torn to shreds and cars overturned its miraculous that it seems there wasn't anymore casualties aside from 1 unconfirmed death.

Lets not forget either that this is in a part of Europe that see's severe weather often, but Tornadic activity on this scale is a rarity to come down upon a major city. There are no storm warning sirens, up to the minute tracking of the tornado via Radio or TV. All the people knew on the ground was what they were seeing for themselves, and the vast majority are only locals and tourists except a handful of Meteorologists at the RAF base nearby.

new topics

join