It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

its the papop!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Papop is currently dead, it is much larger and havier than OICW, French are trying to scale the granade round down to 30 mm but it is still too heavy, OICW has also problems with size and weight so I don't think we will see these wepons until technology improves for example new ceramic barrels and other lighter materials.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So did I say. But still In my opinion iIt will become smaller and nicer in time. The machanisms in the gun don't require the space inside this plastic shell.

The French intend to create a weapon mostly made of highly durable and light polymers. (poly arme/projectile) This looks big, clumsy, heavy and useless, still, if polymers are used on a big scale here it is or will be lighter. And ergonomics must change for the better.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
And also don't forget the ammo weight (and it cannot be scaled down so easily).35 mm high velocity explosive round could weight 300 - 350 gramms , so a 6 round magazine could weight 2kg!!! For ilustration whole XM8 weapon will weight 2.6kg!!!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
still the xm8 (oicw) is coming along just fine,,with a new small sleek look!!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
actualy its called the xm29 (sorry) not xm8 thats another gun,,

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
and the land warrior gear is looking more complete....it could be ready very soon...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Ory guy but it's the OICW which is dead, delete by the congress but for this last part i'm not really sure.

For the papop it's still in devlopment. I am in the RIMA, french army. So i know a little bit about it, but no so much. Because i think we won't know lot more about this program until the first one will be delivered to an operational division, normally about 2010. It's par of a larger program, the program Felin which deal with all the equipment of the futur french soldier and wich will be operational before the papop, with an evoluate version of the actual FAMAS, a famas G2 FELIN with all the system of optronics and cameras wich will be built in the papop, but on external slot on the famas felin.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join