It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F4 breaking speed of sound

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
I've never heard of a regulation of it being forbidden to exceed the speed of sound. It'd have to been a rule that came out last month if that is true.

I think it is forbidden to fly low on supersonic speeds over populated areas (because of sonic boom).

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Technically it is forbidden to fly at super or trans sonic speeds anywhere over the US without a waiver from the FAA.

Military bases and operational areas are granted permanent waivers so this does not apply to them.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Technically it is forbidden to fly at super or trans sonic speeds anywhere over the US without a waiver from the FAA.

Military bases and operational areas are granted permanent waivers so this does not apply to them.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

That's what I thought... I was pretty sure they had the permission.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
NO ! it is forbidden to go super sonic above land !
here in EUROPA for sur the military are forbidden to do and that's why they go to ranges in CANADA and USA to do such things because of the specious ranges they have at their disposal.
in EUROPA it is even forbidden on airshows and military airfields so where do you get the info that in the USA they can go supersonic on any USAF afb ???

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
NO ! it is forbidden to go super sonic above land !
here in EUROPA for sur the military are forbidden to do and that's why they go to ranges in CANADA and USA to do such things because of the specious ranges they have at their disposal.
in EUROPA it is even forbidden on airshows and military airfields so where do you get the info that in the USA they can go supersonic on any USAF afb ???

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

Umm, because I have done it before on a military installation.

You have to fill out a waiver with the FAA to do it anywhere else. The FAA usually refuses them on the grounds of excessive noise levels.

In the US you can go supersonic from sea level to infinity at the cleared ranges (ie fallon). You can also go supersonic in test areas (ie Edwards). The FAA granted permanent waivers for those places.

I have no idea how you do things in Europe.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Cool photos. This is my personal F-4 favourite, its a RAF Phantom FG1 leaving Saint Anthan with an unconventional fly past. It was the pilots last flight before retirement and he got a severe bollocking for it- a worker on the hanger roof fell and was injured!!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Errr still trying to get the hang of this discussion board, sorry. Said image (and the back ground story) can be found at-

www.airsceneuk.org.uk...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Errr still trying to get the hang of this discussion board, sorry. Said image (and the back ground story) can be found at-

www.airsceneuk.org.uk...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Just edit an existing post, and preview it instead of repeating the same thing. It'll just take a little practice.

Phinal Phlight!

[Edited on 30/5/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Regardless of the technicalities behind these things they certainly are some cool photos.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join